Sabres anthem singer becomes notorious

PASabreFan

Just now, Thorny said:

I also like that he just..sings it. Aside from a *touch* on “Glorious” during “glorious and free”, there’s no unnecessary frill. It’s about the words, presented in a beautiful voice. It’s not about the voice and range. 

And look at the people. They are not trying to see themselves on the videoboard.

The voices tho. Milt, Henry, Rick and Jim.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The brilliant, bombastic Henry Pendleton. The best anthem singer in Sabres history? It begins and ends with Hank.

Henry was good.

So was Miro's girlfriend.

Know you couldn't stand Doug Allen, but Dougie was good and consistent.  Wasn't awesome but he didn't drag them out like so many of his replacements have done. His signature tweak to the US anthem wasn't major.  He didn't want to be the star.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The brilliant, bombastic Henry Pendleton. The best anthem singer in Sabres history? It begins and ends with Hank.

Son of a bitch, I really, really miss Rick. Hearing him at the end after a few minutes during which there was actual palpable drama (if you are going to do anthems they should be like that).. just something about it. I was in the right mindset when you hear him. Or maybe the wrong one, it’s making me cry. There’s just a magic there we can’t get back. 

Really hurts 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Son of a bitch, I really, really miss Rick. Hearing him at the end after a few minutes during which there was actual palpable drama (if you are going to do anthems they should be like that).. just something about it. I was in the right mindset when you hear him. Or maybe the wrong one, it’s making me cry. There’s just a magic there we can’t get back. 

Really hurts 

Alot of the magic has been lost.

• Agree 1

My college team was the Golden Knights (we predate the Vegas team), and we'd yet "Night" during the anthem.

I personally don't mind the anthems. I think it's cool we do both. I'd be fine if they stopped doing them all together. I'm not Canadian, but I know the English version of the anthem pretty well after so many Sabres games.

Pretty embarrassing this guy messed it up. I noticed it right away, but as someone else said, after how bad we played I kind of forgot about it.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It actually begins with Tenor Joe Byron, who along with organist Norm Wullen, gave us solid and straight forward anthem singing for decades.  

This is an early version of Oh Canada, lots of "standing on guard" and some of todays lyrics are missing.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MattPie said:

Oof.  You had one job.

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

They should do away with national anthems at corporate events anyways 

In Winnipeg they yell out TRUE NORTH (the corporation) during the true north strong and free line. Assuredly within the spirit of a national anthem. 

Yeah, in Dallas they yell out STARS in the Star Spangled Banner.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It took me five seconds to find her. Not matronly though.

HOLY. *****. Imagine this before a big game.

The setting just added to the chills. And her manager gives out his deets.

This is the best version I've ever heard. Truly amazing. Wow, thank you for sharing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.