It Is Time: Fire the GM, the Coaching Staff, get some experience in here. Fans deserve better!!!

Scottysabres

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

I didn’t like any of the aforementioned players.  Are they good players? Sure.  Are they guys I want repping the franchise?  Outside of Ullmark, nope.  Grumpy, sleepy and smurfette weren’t going to cut it here. 

We are basically the inverse on this. The Eichel core was the last one I found likeable. The “vibes” core doesn’t do it for me.

But it’s about the crest 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 7:03 PM, #freejame said:

Not sure how you can think this when Owen Power LITERALLY wears glasses. 

I realize your comment may be a little tongue in cheek but do people still view glasses as a nerd accessory?  My nine year old wears them and if anything, it’s helped his popularity (not that I care, it’s just what I notice). 

• Like (+1) 1

My issue with firing him?  It's basically a punt on the season.  There isn't an experienced assistant on the coaching staff who I'd have any confidence in righting the ship.  And if you hire someone outside the organization, you have a team trying to implement a new system mid-season.  The chances of that happening are pretty low, and you don't get a full array of options since other coaches might be available in the offseason.  

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

My issue with firing him?  It's basically a punt on the season.  There isn't an experienced assistant on the coaching staff who I'd have any confidence in righting the ship.  And if you hire someone outside the organization, you have a team trying to implement a new system mid-season.  The chances of that happening are pretty low, and you don't get a full array of options since other coaches might be available in the offseason.  

I think the issue is the vision for the team/roster. Any change in coach will only be a band aid. The fact that the last 4 years have been full bore "stay the course" very much worries me that we have no idea how to pivot, or how to fill the holes in this roster. I think any change in coach or trade will be performative and take ammunition away from a GM who knows WTF they are doing. 

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the issue is the vision for the team/roster. Any change in coach will only be a band aid. The fact that the last 4 years have been full bore "stay the course" very much worries me that we have no idea how to pivot, or how to fill the holes in this roster. I think any change in coach or trade will be performative and take ammunition away from a GM who knows WTF they are doing. 

Pretty much - there needs to be considerable roster turnover going into next season - and you can't replace them all with rookies.  They need to make a couple of trades to shake stuff up.  The only players i probably wouldn't move are the 8 listed below.  

Okposo girgensons olofsson and johnson for sure.  Probably Jost.  I'm pretty good if krebs isn't here.  

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

JJP - Mitts - Quinn 

Benson - Cozens - ???

??? - ??? - ???

Ideally 1 of those holes is filled by a young player - Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, Östlund.  I think you have to move 1 of them too.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I realize your comment may be a little tongue in cheek but do people still view glasses as a nerd accessory?  My nine year old wears them and if anything, it’s helped his popularity (not that I care, it’s just what I notice). 

I don’t think there’s any stigma about glasses these days. Once the hipsters repackaged them they became cool. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Yes and No.  But I still feel 'kinda' good about Granato.

My issue is the Young(er) guys up front, they aren't playing well across the whole ice.  Will a new coach get Krebs, Cozens, Peterka, and any other young guys you bring up and play (Kulich or Rosen) play a better all around game?  Get those guys to be better in your own end?  If Granato and his staff are the reason for the young guys lacking in that regard, then I would listen to the idea of a change. BUT, as you mentioned, who is going to step in here and do better?  If someone will please consider it, but instead of just saying "fire Grananto, bring in someone with experience", who is that? and specifically what is their 'experience' going to do to make this team better?

Granato's a nice guy. I think everybody likes him and he knows a lot about hockey and he's a valuable guy on a coaching staff. I can see him talking softly with younger players, teaching them skills, playing the "good cop" role. problem is we don't have a "bad cop". We don't have the motivator. Nobody has set an adequate standard and demanded we strive for it and then meet it as a minimum after. 

Somebody needs to set that standard and whip these guys into shape. Then you can have a guy like Granato take them aside after they get yelled at and help build them back up. Granato's idea that these guys have to collectively learn to elevate their game and face adversity just doesn't work. 

You have to set the standard first. Anyone who doesn't devote themselves to trying their best to achieve it can exit through the one way out door. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Granato's a nice guy. I think everybody likes him and he knows a lot about hockey and he's a valuable guy on a coaching staff. I can see him talking softly with younger players, teaching them skills, playing the "good cop" role. problem is we don't have a "bad cop". We don't have the motivator. Nobody has set an adequate standard and demanded we strive for it and then meet it as a minimum after. 

Somebody needs to set that standard and whip these guys into shape. Then you can have a guy like Granato take them aside after they get yelled at and help build them back up. Granato's idea that these guys have to collectively learn to elevate their game and face adversity just doesn't work. 

You have to set the standard first. Anyone who doesn't devote themselves to trying their best to achieve it can exit through the one way out door. 

I agree.   Granato is a great individual developmental coach.... he's 56, that's what he is and always will be... there's a place for him in the game and he's excellent at what he does.

That said, this team is lacking accountability for structured team play.  

Eric Johnson hinted at this earlier in the season when he mentioned that they won't accomplish much until they ALL commit to play within a certain structure.   

Until that standard is set and enforced this team will just continue to drift aimlessly like a rudderless ship. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I agree.   Granato is a great individual developmental coach.... he's 56, that's what he is and always will be... there's a place for him in the game and he's excellent at what he does.

That said, this team is lacking accountability for structured team play.  

Eric Johnson hinted at this earlier in the season when he mentioned that they won't accomplish much until they ALL commit to play within a certain structure.   

Until that standard is set and enforced this team will just continue to drift aimlessly like a rudderless ship. 

They don't win puck battles,faceoffs,go to the net,clear the net or stick up for each other. That's not coaching. They're timid.

On 11/27/2023 at 3:44 PM, inkman said:

I didn’t like any of the aforementioned players.  Are they good players? Sure.  Are they guys I want repping the franchise?  Outside of Ullmark, nope.  Grumpy, sleepy and smurfette weren’t going to cut it here. 

buffalo sabres hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

12 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

They don't win puck battles,faceoffs,go to the net,clear the net or stick up for each other. That's not coaching. They're timid.

Those are details which are lacking accountability.... be that by a coach or more importantly the core group.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.