Why isn't Kulich up?

Buffalonill

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Interesting take.

Kulich and Savoie can play C or wing so that may come into play.

Two of those pairs were developed in Rochester while the others have a few years of junior together.

Cozens has been good with Quinn & JJP but could work with WHL alumni Savoie & Benson. Mitts could work with either of those pairs.

Kulich and Rosen could use a guy like Greenway or Tuch.

I can’t wait for Quinn to get back and hopefully he can build on last year. I thought he could get 25-30 goals in a full season.

Don said this morning on his radio show that the long-term plan is to run 3 offensively dangerous lines because so few teams have a good 3rd pair on D.

With the three developing pairs, Mitts, Greenway, Cozens and Tuch, plus Thompson and Skinner, they certainly appear to potentially have the horses.

@PerreaultForever is going to be @pessimisticforever, it seems.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don said this morning on his radio show that the long-term plan is to run 3 offensively dangerous lines because so few teams have a good 3rd pair on D.

With the three developing pairs, Mitts, Greenway, Cozens and Tuch, plus Thompson and Skinner, they certainly appear to potentially have the horses.

@PerreaultForever is going to be @pessimisticforever, it seems.

Until we win, yes, because I have been consistent from day 1 that I think their plan is backwards and I don't see how it can work. If I'm wrong and they start winning consistently and then make the playoffs, great, happy to be wrong. But until that time I will be sticking with the old mantra, YOU BUILD A TEAM FROM THE GOALIE OUT not the top line down. 

Three "offensively dangerous" lines is the plan, that's clear, but there's no checking line. There's no shut down. The Okposo line isn't it. That's a has been cast off pile of crap. So they want to run and gun and win 6-5 rather than 2-1, that's clear, and it will work when they play the Leafs or some other similar team but it's a flawed idea when the checking gets tight.

Pessimism or truth, you can label it what you want but it is what it is. Reality. 

On 11/7/2023 at 3:11 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Until we win, yes, because I have been consistent from day 1 that I think their plan is backwards and I don't see how it can work. If I'm wrong and they start winning consistently and then make the playoffs, great, happy to be wrong. But until that time I will be sticking with the old mantra, YOU BUILD A TEAM FROM THE GOALIE OUT not the top line down. 

Three "offensively dangerous" lines is the plan, that's clear, but there's no checking line. There's no shut down. The Okposo line isn't it. That's a has been cast off pile of crap. So they want to run and gun and win 6-5 rather than 2-1, that's clear, and it will work when they play the Leafs or some other similar team but it's a flawed idea when the checking gets tight.

Pessimism or truth, you can label it what you want but it is what it is. Reality. 

This is correct. Sabres were nothing without Hasek and Miller. Levi and UPL are decent, but we are not doing them any favors by playing terrible defense.

We were the 3rd best scoring team last year. How the hell did we miss the playoffs? It's because our goalie and defense situation is awful. Defense as in every single player is a liability on 75% of the ice surface. How did this happen? Because teams draft the guys who score the most points. You can't measure defense like you can measure offense except for picking someone big and who has a lot of hits. Defense is about the whole team adhering to a strict system and having enough conditioning to play hard in our end FIRST, then scoring.

Ok, what do we do about it? First of all: get a #1 Goalie. Next, work on team defense. Screw scoring, we have that. Throw away anyone not willing to play with grit in our end because they won't increase our chances of winning period. Talent we have in bushels. MAKE THEM PLAY DEFENSE. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, seer775 said:

This is correct. Sabres were nothing without Hasek and Miller. Levi and UPL are decent, but we are not doing them any favors by playing terrible defense.

We were the 3rd best scoring team last year. How the hell did we miss the playoffs? It's because our goalie and defense situation is awful. Defense as in every single player is a liability on 75% of the ice surface. How did this happen? Because teams draft the guys who score the most points. You can't measure defense like you can measure offense except for picking someone big and who has a lot of hits. Defense is about the whole team adhering to a strict system and having enough conditioning to play hard in our end FIRST, then scoring.

Ok, what do we do about it? First of all: get a #1 Goalie. Next, work on team defense. Screw scoring, we have that. Throw away anyone not willing to play with grit in our end because they won't increase our chances of winning period. Talent we have in bushels. MAKE THEM PLAY DEFENSE. 

Yes go get a #1 goalie from the Goalie Tree.   Why didn’t anyone think of that ???  

I agree with you that they still need to work on D.  That being said the penalty kill has been greatly improved and I would need someone to collaborate this but I think shots are down and so are scoring changes against from last season 

On 11/7/2023 at 10:01 AM, Flashsabre said:

Kulich is a special goal scorer who likes to score big goals at big moments. 

I think a big positive is that Kulich and Rosen haven’t sulked from being sent down and have built on last year’s performances.

I thinks the Sabres have 3 sets of young duos: 

Quinn-Peterka

Kulich-Rosen

Savoie-Benson

that all have tremendous chemistry with each other.

I like all those pairings. And I really like Cozens with Peterka and Quinn. (think they have misused Cozens this year - I am not sure they know what to do with most of the forwards. The Quinn injury - and the failure to seek and find a replacement - seems to have had a trickle down impact). 

Kulich is more a winger / occasional C, imo, who will have a decent two way game. He’s not a facilitator like Rosen, imo. But he also has physicality to his game. And good puck skills. But both have good speed. But I also thought Savoie blended well with those two. 

In 2 years, would we complain about a line of Savoie-Rosen-Kulich? I doubt it. 

For me, Benson needs to get stronger and faster. He especially has to build up his legs to match some of the speed that Savoie brings. Both need to build up physically still. Benson needs to get into the high 170s range. It will take a year or two but Kulich really added a ton of strength this season and added 10+ lbs to his body. He’s focused.

I’d be good though with a Benson-Savoie paired with either Casey or perhaps Krebs or Jost if they improve. I don’t think either of the latter two have had good pairings. or perhaps with a C we can get via trade or free agency. 

14 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Basically 4 starters out recently (DC, Sam, Tuch, Quinn), with Cozens and Samuelsson on the verge. 3 of them (Cozens, Quinn, Tuch) would have been part of our top two lines this year. I am not sure the Sabres know what they want to do. 

I don’t know where they want to put Savoie when Tuch returns (just put him back with Tage and Skinner). Maybe try

Savoie-Cozens-JJ ? I’d try it.

or Savoie-Casey-Greenway? But neither Casey nor Greenway are consistent goal scoring threats imo  

I just don’t think they have good line matches for 3 player lines right now, due to the Quinn injury and the other young guys not yet developed, other than our top line from last season.  But I think the mixing and matching to find something is creating a lot of inconsistency right now  

I am not sure what they would do with Kulich right now. maybe with Casey and Greenway? Or Cozens & Peterka? 

It feels like they are a bit at cross purposes. Trying A) to win games and B) playing musical chairs with finding consistent lines and simultaneously develop young players.

If they brought Kulich up, they could go:

Skinner-Tage-Tuch

Kulich-Mitts-Greenway

Savoie-Cozens-Peterka

At least they have snipers and facilitators and some physicality on all three lines. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's amazing that they haven't brought uP Kulich and Rosen.   I get they want them to fully develop at the AHL level but both bring more offensive upside than at least 5 guys the Sabres will have in the lineup tonight.   
if the goal was was really playoffs this year , the time is now.  

I understand where you are coming from but recent history shows (2015 and beyond) that if a guy is not a superstar in waiting drafted (top pick or two), it is very rare for a guy to play in the minors and come up and have an immediate, game changing impact.  It just rarely happens.  Often times the young, high draft pick guy who is tearing up the AHL will not be that much better than the vet journeyman you currently have.  Now, eventually they likely will be, and at some point you have to bring them up and let them get that NHL time to become better players, but I just don't think bringing up the young guns from Rochester makes this team that much (if any) better 'right now.'

Guys drafted 5th through 15th overall in the last 8 years who, as a forward, have had even a minor impact on their teams:

-Marco Rossi spent a good part of 2 seasons in the AHL, scoring 34 goals there. In the NHL, no goals in his first 21 games.

-Jack Quinn had 26 goals in 45 games in roch (almost a 50 goal pace) and then in a full season in Buffalo, 14 goals. Good for a young guy, but not a game changer impact.

-Alexander Holts had over 30 goals in just over 60 games in the NHL. Upon his first NHL games, 3 goals and 6 points in his first 28 NHL games (certainly not an immediate impact).

-Zegras might be the best example, but he was 'almost NHL ready), playing only 17 games in the AHL, but having more than a point a game. In the NHL, he debuted with 23 goals his first season.

-Boldy also did well his first season in the NHL.  But overall, when you look at guys taken in the middle of the 1st round, many, many more go to the minors, do well in the minors, but they just don't make an impact in the NHL right away. The often do eventually, but it just rarely 'fixes' problems the big club has.

The biggest issue may be that even the guys how do well in terms of production, they are often bad defensively.  They are often deep in the negative of plus-minus...and get better over time. But again, their overall game is not something that will turn your team around.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's amazing that they haven't brought uP Kulich and Rosen.   I get they want them to fully develop at the AHL level but both bring more offensive upside than at least 5 guys the Sabres will have in the lineup tonight.   
if the goal was was really playoffs this year , the time is now.  

Have you watched them play defense? Neither has a developed 200 foot game at this point and that's against ahl competition. It understandable that they haven't been called up yet. That said, I think they'll get a look sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Have you watched them play defense? Neither has a developed 200 foot game at this point and that's against ahl competition. It understandable that they haven't been called up yet. That said, I think they'll get a look sooner than later.

I'm not so sure our Sabres team has developed a good 200 foot game either.

23 hours ago, K-9 said:

Neither may have a complete 200 foot game at the moment 

that being said how many feet are Okposo, Krebs , Jost and Olofsson giving you at the moment ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.