GDT: Sabres @ Flyers - November 1, 2023 - 7:00PM, TNT/MAX/MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Minimal. Levi is likely to be in net. 

I think it depends on how Levi is feeling. Next two games are back to back, I'd think 6K gets one and Levi gets the other. Levi likely gets to choose which one he wants. 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Agree …. Portfolio boy is looking good. 
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk is holding the fort 

I missed this one to spend some time with the Mrs. We’re in peak football and F1 is still in season. I have caught everything else. Box score says “I want to suck you dry” was quality tonight. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And with the W tonight, the Sabres are officially NOT in last place in their division.  Courtesy of having played more games than the Swamp Cats and the Otters and picking up 4 points in those 2 games, the Sabres 10 points is good for 6th in the division.  Baby steps.

Last year, the Sabres had three different 8 game non-winning streaks. If we can avoid those types of losing streaks, the Sabres will not have to put so much effort digging themselves out of the hole like last year. 

• Like (+1) 3

2019: 3-8-3
2020 (February 2021): 2-6-1
2021: 3-9-2
2022: 4-9-1

Since the November of our 10 game win streak, we have struggled with Novembers (or more generally, the second month of the season). It is time to show that we are a different Sabres team. Take control this month - what is that playoff-spot-by-Thanksgiving stat? Let's not try to be an exception to that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think it depends on how Levi is feeling. Next two games are back to back, I'd think 6K gets one and Levi gets the other. Levi likely gets to choose which one he wants. 

Your scenario is possible. But my sense from the reports on Levi is that it is likely that he will play the next game. We shall see. 

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think you have to play the hot hand in the next game. The most important 2 points are the next ones on the schedule. Levi has not earned that decision with his play. 

Who would have thought that by November, to borrow a concept from @That Aud Smell, starting Levi is a more sphincter-puckering idea than starting UPL? Besides Hank that is! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’d throw UPL back in. He can rest tomorrow.  I mean what could go wrong? 

vyvHAj0.gif

#1 Star two games straight…

Keep riding the horse.

• Like (+1) 2

Well that one goes down as a classic "a win's a win" imo. Outshot like 40-15, outplayed, outworked, but their lack of talent and thus lack of finish was in evidence and conversely we scored on the limited opportunities we had. 

I am going to swim against the current here and say I don't think UPL was all that good, I just think the Flyers don't know how to put the puck in the net. 

Win's a win. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They were 5-1 Sabres when Biro scored his first.

Honestly, I’d prefer that than them actually trying to play hockey. 

I missed this one for the Mrs. but the box score says this isn’t the type of game teams win/lose twice in a row. 

Flyers surely win if they outshoot us 40-15 again. I hope they totally flip their game out of anger rather than dig their heels in again. Then maybe the Sabres can flip the script with another 5-2 win but get 25 more SOG.  

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your scenario is possible. But my sense from the reports on Levi is that it is likely that he will play the next game. We shall see. 

UPL just dominated the Flyers.  You put him right back in there against them Friday.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Outshot 40-15 do you think we played well?

I thought they stunk but in question is your comment that UPL was not very good. You’re wrong but there’s always a need for some to go the contrarian route. Carry on. 

Edited by bg17
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

Your Buffalo Sabres are 2-0 with 6k and Bryson in the lineup.

Not taking anything away from UPL, but 78 will be back in the press box soon enough.  He was entrusted with 8 minutes tonight.  That’s what the coaches think of his play.  Clifton was playing 15:30 and will contribute as this team improves this fall.  

This team finally gets two wins in a row.  Two is a coincidence.  Beat the same team on home ice Friday.  Three is a trend.

• Like (+1) 3

Expect they will come back with UPL on Friday and Levi on Saturday on the "run the hot hand" principle.

Personally, would run it the other way - Levi on Friday and UPL against the Loafs.  The tougher game is Saturday's game.  UPL is on his game, Levi was not in his last game (though he likely played the entire game battling whatever kept him out of action since that game) and is more of a wildcard coming off the injury.  

They'll be wearing the Goatheads on Friday.  That SHOULD be enough extra oomph to get them another win against the Phlyers, should they need any.  Give the guy that's less a sure thing (at the moment) that game and give the tougher game to the guy that's played his best hockey since Juniors for the last 120 minutes.  And make sure they explain the reason for going with that deployment to UPL so he doesn't worry about it not being "his team."

Here’s the gameplan, score 4-5 goals without risking your defensive positions. We played reckless defensively all last season because without doing that, we wouldn’t of scored the 4 goals. Now we have 12 snipers available all game long. You can’t guard a sniper, only contain. 12.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.