GDT: Sabres @ Flyers - November 1, 2023 - 7:00PM, TNT/MAX/MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

Whipping boys UPL and Jokiharju kept us in it at different points (UPL all game, Joki with the hand save and some general steady play)

Good teams can wring points out of games where they play like the Sabres did for the middle 40 minutes. They passed that test tonight.

First time winning two in a row - extending solid play beyond the boundaries of a single game is also important to being a good team, let's hope they continue it into Friday (UPL should get Friday)

I ask again, WTF is up with Dylan Cozens? When was the last time he meaningfully contributed to an offensive play that you can remember? His overtime goal 2 weeks ago?

The presence Erik Johnson brings is plainly visible (as someone who originally hated the move). Just as in the summer, I would be thrilled with an add like that for the forwards any time. 

Mittelstud 

J.J. is playing flashy hockey but I"m not sure he's playing good hockey 

Tage looks off still but he's producing, I'm hoping he flips the switch like he did last November. 

.500 is a much better outcome than what could have happened from 1-3 or 3-5. Hopefully we pull 6 of the next 10, and at some point to make the playoffs you'll need to grab 7 or 8. Everything we want is there for us, especially if UPL isn't a mirage 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Some quick thoughts on this game. UPL was the first star and won the game for us. 

In general, the Flyers outplayed the Sabres but were stymied by UPL. 

I thought Joki played well. 

We had no flow and little ice time in our offensive zone. 

TNT's goal was nifty. This big man can maneuver in tight spots. I thought his pass back to Power was a critical play.

Our performance on faceoffs was atrocious. 

Biro played hard all game and was rewarded for his efforts. 

The play of the game was Joki blocking a shot with his hand when the goalie was in a vulnerable position was the biggest play in the game for us. 

We won a game on the road when we were outplayed. That's a good sign.

If we get this caliber of goaltending on a regular basis, we will be in the playoffs. 

Now let's win on Friday and make it three wins in a row. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.