Sabres call up Brandon Biro

Brawndo

So with Benson out and Biro called up, what do we think the lines will be now? I assume Biro wasn't called up to sit in the box and will play over Olofsson or Jost.

Last game's lines:

Greenway-Thompson-Benson
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Peterka
Jost-Cozens-Tuch
Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo

I'm not sure where I'd put him. Maybe something like:

Greenway-Thompson-Cozens
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Tuch
Biro-Krebs-Peterka
Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

2 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

So with Benson out and Biro called up, what do we think the lines will be now? I assume Biro wasn't called up to sit in the box and will play over Olofsson or Jost.

Last game's lines:

Greenway-Thompson-Benson
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Peterka
Jost-Cozens-Tuch
Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo

I'm not sure where I'd put him. Maybe something like:

Greenway-Thompson-Cozens
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Tuch
Biro-Krebs-Peterka
Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

I'm gonna say

Greenway-Thompson-Peterka
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Krebs
Biro-Cozens-Tuch
Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

On the third line, less pressure, big boys to protect him, still a decent chance to score.

Also, a chance to see if JJP is top-line ready.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like a lot of pressure to put him on the top line. Or whatever that is. The way they are playing I think the Mitts line is top atm. Then again they put Benson there, so not surprising. I'll be curious if that's what they go with. I suspect DG likes the other 3 lines, so he's keeping them the same

1 minute ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Seems like a lot of pressure to put him on the top line. Or whatever that is. The way they are playing I think the Mitts line is top atm. Then again they put Benson there, so not surprising. I'll be curious if that's what they go with. I suspect DG likes the other 3 lines, so he's keeping them the same

The bolded would seem to be the case.  They'll have another morning skate tomorrow where Granato will have his lines set.  If he liked the way Biro looked there today, he'll be back tomorrow but could find himself planted on the bench for much of the 3rd if the game is tight.

Biro earned his shot.  He was a captain of his college team (so presumably has good leadership and character), is putting up more than point per game in the AHL this season and is just under a point per game in his entire AHL career, plus, according to Sabrespace, he had a good training camp this season.

All that said, his callup surprises me a little bit, given how much more highly touted some of the other prospects are.  I assume that Biro has, at present, a higher floor, but a much lower ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Tough break for Rousek as he did not look out of place during his two game look last year. 

Biro looked better in preseason and I think the only reason he didn't make the team was Benson looked better. While Biro doesn't have quite the same stat line (I haven't watch any Amerks to go on anything besides that), I suspect part of this is a reward for his play in the pre-season, while still doing well down in Rochester.

11 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

The Sabres missed the boat on trading Olofsson. His value could not have been higher, and we kept him and it is dropping like a rock. 

VO’s camp said out loud that they expected a trade. No team wanted him at his salary.  If there was ANY market for him, he would have been moved already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Greenway-Thompson-Biro

I'm frankly surprised they're putting him on that line.  maybe it's only the #1 line because Thompson is on it, but the reality is the 1st line is centered by Mitts.  My thought of putting Biro in a protected situation with Tuch and Cozens is essentially the same from a physical standpoint with Greenway and Thompson I suppose but I still wonder about putting him on the (a?) top line.  Maybe the thought is they he's scoring in the A and want to see if he can do so with the big boys in the NHL.

And... what @SabresBaltimore said... don't mess with the other lines.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.