Pens prospect dies by skate to throat…

Skooby

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

What an awful tragedy.  Probably my biggest fear when coaching youth hockey was to have a freak accident like that happen.  Absolutely hate to see a guy's skate getting up in the air.  Was there when Zednik nearly expired.

I had it happen when I was coaching my son’s U18 travel team. Our player got upended and his skate cut the other team’s goalie’s throat. Their coach, who happened to be the goalie’s dad, rushed out and took his shirt off to put pressure on the wound. I put my jacket over him as he didn’t want to let go. Fortunately it didn’t hit an artery, and he was conscious until the ambulance arrived, and ended up ok.

Edited by pastajoe
  • Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

I had it happen when I was coaching my son’s U18 travel team. Our player got upended and his skate cut the other team’s goalie’s throat. Their coach, who happened to be the goalie’s dad, rushed out and took his shirt off to put pressure on the wound. I put my jacket over him as he didn’t want to let go. Fortunately it didn’t hit an artery, and he was conscious until the ambulance arrived, and ended up ok.

Scary stuff. I was there as a teenager during the Clint Malarchuk game, my friend’s aunt was Bob Rich’s personal secretary so needless to say the seats were close to the ice. Everyone started throwing up near there when it happened live & in person it’s very scary. I can’t believe players don’t wear neck guards, I had to wear one every game as a child. 

Shame about people in general not being able to simply be contrite here, it’s a child’s look.

Edited by Skooby

1 hour ago, Skooby said:

Scary stuff. I was there as a teenager during the Clint Malarchuk game, my friend’s aunt was Bob Rich’s personal secretary so needless to say the seats were close to the ice. Everyone started throwing up near there when it happened live & in person it’s very scary. I can’t believe players don’t wear neck guards, I had to wear one every game as a child. 

Shame about people in general not being able to simply be contrite here, it’s a child’s look.

It is a shame you can't admit you were wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't want to believe that's what happened. I also can't explain how it happened.

I know that it's a next-level accusation, I'm not going to call this "evidence", but I guess the guy had been kicked out of 2 of his previous 4 games, led the league in penalties by far, and is known as dirty. This kind of context isnt going to help him 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know that it's a next-level accusation, I'm not going to call this "evidence", but I guess the guy had been kicked out of 2 of his previous 4 games, led the league in penalties by far, and is known as dirty. This kind of context isnt going to help him 

We see outright assault committed on the ice and the law never gets involved. I would imagine it would take the family suing a DA's office to get that moving 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t know how any of you guys would purposefully look for and watch any video of that incident. 

Morbid curiosity has a limit.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw those posts and thought “there’s a video? No thank you”. To this day, the rare time someone wants to show that Malarchuk clip, I’m out of there immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I saw the video by accident on Twitter and can see why people think it was intentional. I have no plans to ever watch it again to examine what happened as it's IMO an even more sick and gruesome watch than the infamous Budd Dwyer video.

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I saw the video by accident on Twitter and can see why people think it was intentional. I have no plans to ever watch it again to examine what happened as it's IMO an even more sick and gruesome watch than the infamous Budd Dwyer video.

I’ve never heard of the infamous Budd Dwyer video, and don’t bother providing a description.

• Thanks (+1) 2

FWIW, I only know about the Budd Dwyer incident because of the Filter song "Hey Man Nice Shot". 

54 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Thankfully the clip I saw just had the immediate impact. I'm not gonna watch it again and didn't see any blood

I was at the Richard Zednik game, it was utterly chilling. I don't recall how much, if any blood, was evident on the ice but that's probably because I felt totally numb.

1 hour ago, Punch said:

FWIW, I only know about the Budd Dwyer incident because of the Filter song "Hey Man Nice Shot". 

I was at the Richard Zednik game, it was utterly chilling. I don't recall how much, if any blood, was evident on the ice but that's probably because I felt totally numb.

There was a lot and it had a pattern to it.  That's enough said on that subject.

• Like (+1) 1

Well.. it's being investigated.. which I suppose would happen anyway.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38780605/adam-johnson-death-police-investigation-england

That said.. I've seen two neck incidents in my lifetime and the first was far more than enough.  It's just horrible, and stuff happens that all the protection in the world can't prevent. You just hope it never does... and sadly this time it did.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.