GDT: 🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ New Jersey Devils 27 October 2023 7:00 PM MSG

MattPie

Just now, Norcal said:

The Haula breakaway was a perfect shot and the other goal UPL allowed was tipped also. 

Both not necessarily on him although you want him to stop the breakaway which like I said was a helluva shot.

No need to chase another young goalie out if town just yet.

He is 24 and has had subpar numbers in Buffalo and Roch.  The sample size is large enough to know what he is at this point.  

On D challenged team we need a better goalie.  It’s not that hard. KA should know this and should have moved to get a more proven goalie this summer.  Now we are stuck.

• Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 of 3 games now that the Sabres were buzzing all over the other team's net in the 2nd having come into the period tied and they weren't able to pull away.  The puck luck will start breaking their way soon, but they need to make that happen.

Because it's too deflating to give up that go ahead goal early in the 3rd after having dominated stretches of the 2nd.

And they just flat out have to play better in the 3rd.  At least 3 in a row that they got dominated (on the scoreboard definitely and realistically on the ice as well).  Coaches have to figure that issue out and soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Talk about hyperbole.  

why are you counting losses before the games are even played.?  The season so far is hardly a total disaster 

after they lost to mtl, gonna take a wild guess you had them losing to Ottawa as well? 

What about “looking at the possibility” was hard to understand? Are we not looking at the possibility at 3-6 if we lose the next game?  That also means we might not. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is 24 and has had subpar numbers in Buffalo and Roch.  The sample size is large enough to know what he is at this point.  

On D challenged team we need a better goalie.  It’s not that hard. KA should know this and should have moved to get a more proven goalie this summer.  Now we are stuck.

How's Jonas Johansson doing this season? You know, the other goalie we chased outta town last year? 

Goaltenders are weird. 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

24 is still young in goaltender years 

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Definitely can see after 8 games that goaltending will be the problem again, as many could predict. Looks like UPL at home Sunday. 

It’s like we just keep re-living Groundhog Day.  Ya our goaltending killed us last year but I’m sure this rookie will change everything despite what all recent history has told us.  ***** off.   We deserve better.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Tampa probably plays a superb defensive system or keeps possession more on offense. I’m sure they do.

But people were convinced he's not an NHL goalie yet here he is winning, shutting teams out. 

Edited by Norcal

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Another loss to the New Jersey Devils to our former head coach Lindy Ruff who the Buffalo Sabres Terry Pegula should never have fired. Thank you Terry Pegula for driving our NHL franchise into ground. I am so thankful for Hockey Heaven. Oh and don’t forget we should be grateful in Buffalo that we have a NHL team blah, blah. Too these Buffalo fans that make excuses for Terry Pegula forever doesn’t it get old? What is the excuse when the Seattle Kraken, Atlanta Thrashers and the Houston Aeros win the Stanley Cup and the Buffalo Sabres are still trying to make the playoffs? The losses are piling up the Sabres need to move on from Don Granato he isn’t the coach with the answers. Onto the Colorado Avalanche game Sunday in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Yup.  I have my “Thanks Terry for putting us in Hockey Hell” moments.  

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

How's Jonas Johansson doing this season? You know, the other goalie we chased outta town last year? 

Goaltenders are weird. 

He’s 28.  Were we supposed to wait another 4-5 for him to develop? We also had a good goalie named Ullmark.  

So are we supposed to wait another 4 years for UPL to develop? How many losses will that cost us.  Sometimes you have to move on.   We are trying to make the playoffs.  UPL isn’t going to help us to that goal this season.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

What about “looking at the possibility” was hard to understand? Are we not looking at the possibility at 3-6 if we lose the next game?  That also means we might not. 

Even at 3-6, it’s not a total disaster.  You just can’t have 8 game losing streaks. But you can and will have tough stretches.  They are going to win a lot of games this year, just a matter of time.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Goaltenders are weird. 

24 is still young in goaltender years 

It doesn't matter if he's 24 or 18 or 19, he should not be on this team that has to make the playoffs, Adams continues to neglect this position and it's mind boggling to me that you defend this with his age.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Even at 3-6, it’s not a total disaster.  You just can’t have 8 game losing streaks. But you can and will have tough stretches.  They are going to win a lot of games this year, just a matter of time.   

We will have to agree to disagree. To me it’s borderline a disaster. Even if you don’t have 8 game losing streaks, two months like this can sink you. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

2 of 3 games now that the Sabres were buzzing all over the other team's net in the 2nd having come into the period tied and they weren't able to pull away.  The puck luck will start breaking their way soon, but they need to make that happen.

Because it's too deflating to give up that go ahead goal early in the 3rd after having dominated stretches of the 2nd.

And they just flat out have to play better in the 3rd.  At least 3 in a row that they got dominated (on the scoreboard definitely and realistically on the ice as well).  Coaches have to figure that issue out and soon.

When the opponent makes that big push in the 3rd to get that tie breaking goal or put the game away, the Sabres have no ability to stop it. That’s a really bad sign.  Top flight goal tending would help and could steal some points, but the Sabres just lose too many games in regulation as of today. and they will not make the playoffs from what i can see. 

10 minutes ago, Derrico said:

It’s like we just keep re-living Groundhog Day.  Ya our goaltending killed us last year but I’m sure this rookie will change everything despite what all recent history has told us.  ***** off.   We deserve better.

UPL is not who I’m blaming although I don’t think he is an NHL goalie.  The team did not do enough in the 3rd.  

They could not convert enough when they had their chances.   Seems like they work but they still don’t play team defense, the structure in their own end is not good enough  

Comrie was ok.  He can backup a good #1.  
UPL is scary.
Maybe Levi is ready for Sunday?  

That is our goaltending Triumvirate.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

We will have to agree to disagree. To me it’s borderline a disaster. Even if you don’t have 8 game losing streaks, two months like this can sink you. 

It's a straight out disaster now as it stands. Playing catch up season after season only proves to me that this team, from GM on down, is not learning. They brought back nearly the identical roster, we shouldn't expect completely differing results to be honest. Is the season already over? Of course not, but until changes are made, expect similar results. After all, this isn't happening in a stasis bubble, other teams have, are and will continue to make changes to try and get better results, Buffalo, not so much.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

But people were convinced he's not an NHL goalie yet here he is winning, shutting teams out. 

You talking about Johansson this year or Mika Noronnen in '03-'04?  Looked like he was going to be a legit NHLer.  He really came into his own that year.  One lockout and 2 more seasons of barely getting into games and then his career was over.

Like you said, goalies are strange (paraphrasing).

Will not worry about the Sabres missing out on something wonderful in UPL when he actually looks like an NHL into a 2nd season.  We're still waiting on that 1st one.  He is not a good fit for this team at present, and based on the style that Granato likes to play really don't see him being a good fit for the team as long as Granato is setting the tone and the specifics of the style they're going to play.  UPL needs to play for a team that can be disciplined and take the backdoor and cross ice passes away consistently and only rarely gives up breakaways.  And even if he gets that, other teams will know the book on him and the good ones will force the issue and he'll still likely have problems.  He might have a magical season like that Dallas goalie did back around the pandemic season; but can't see him having much more staying power than that guy had either.

Don't see the Sabres being a fit for what he needs to be successful.  As long as he's a Sabre, hope that evaluation is off; but just don't believe it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.