Sabres Announce Owen Power Extension 7 years, 8.35 Million AAV

Brawndo

Just now, dudacek said:

Coming due a year before Dahlin and a year after Cozens, Tage and Samuelsson.

Not many teams have locked about their cores like this prior their peaks, right through their peaks.

If When the cap skyrockets we should be in excellent shape

FTFY.  😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Next year the Leafs will be paying their 3 best players $35 million with Tavares and Marner a year away from UFA and Matthews 3 years.

We will be paying our 4 best $34 million for the next 6 years (Power for 7, Dahlin for 8).

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Next year the Leafs will be paying their 3 best players $35 million with Tavares and Marner a year away from UFA and Matthews 3 years.

We will be paying our 4 best $34 million for the next 6 years (Power for 7, Dahlin for 8).

This right here is exactly why I’m ok with the $8.35M.  I don’t think people realize how much additional cap space there will be 3-4 years from now, and that it will allow GMKA a lot of flexibility to sign coveted free agents that add key attributes to the team that we may need to make a deep playoff run.  

I’ve been negotiating contracts (albeit not for sports teams) for 16 years and GMKA continues to impress me with his ability to correctly quantify a players value to the franchise.  This is why I still hold out hope for Bryson…

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• SDS pinned this topic

Probably rights the wrong of bridging Dahlin. 

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Right there with the Ekblad contract, like i figured. Little under.

Hope this takes a load off Owen's mind, rather than adds to it.

A haircut would serve him far better in this pursuit 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Long term so I guess its ok. I would have done a bridge since you have so many others locked up long term...but this is ok.

I think this is a very team friendly deal (or it will be in a coupla years).  He'd command a much higher cap hit after a bridge deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Probably rights the wrong of bridging Dahlin. 

I don’t really have an issue with the bridge. Sure, the first 4 years now he’ll be making more, but then the next 4 would have wound up being even more expensive. They’re still going to have plenty of space when these two contracts start. 

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

FTFY.  😉

It’s funny, I think it’s probably the opposite. These contracts looks to me to be Kevyn Adams handling the cap situation excellently - under the prism of how it’s already set up

anything that makes the cap system EASIER to navigate for other teams moving forward probably weakens our advantage 

we were going to be one of the teams winning that game 

Tighter cap = advantage KA

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This is the riskiest contract yet.

I hope it works out!

49 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Risky

This is by far the best approach.  Lock your 1OA Dman at <$8.5M before he wrecks ass this season and demands more next season.  Avoid the bridge contract altogether.  Buy some years of FA.  Get this core locked in and build around them.  Leave enough cap flexibility for the other pieces.  It was the same move with Tage.

Tage, Cozens, Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson now all onboard through 2030 for $37.88M total AAV.  By 2027-28, the cap will cross $100M and Kevyn Adams will be looked upon as a god damned savant.  Whoever is providing guidance to him on cap management is the person of the hour.

• Like (+1) 5

57 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really?

Why?

I know that this is how they do it now, I'm sure he'll be a great player. Giving him 8.35 mil just 1.5 years after he played his first game as a Sabre, when the level of play I view him as having reached to date  is around that of a good #4D, is just jarring in principle

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s funny, I think it’s probably the opposite. These contracts looks to me to be Kevyn Adams handling the cap situation excellently - under the prism of how it’s already set up

anything that makes the cap system EASIER to navigate for other teams moving forward probably weakens our advantage 

we were going to be one of the teams winning that game 

Tighter cap = advantage KA

See your point.  

But, doubt that Adams is ever going to go seriously into the deep end of the UFA pool.  So, other teams being able to go nuts won't really effect the Sabres personnel moves directly.  But he wants to be able to find, develop, and keep great players via the draft and under the radar signings.  People have been pointing out that it won't be very long until Adams will have to start making some hard decisions on who to keep due to the cap.  These signings allow him to not have to factor the cap into the equation as much as he'll have to factor the 23 man roster into the equation.  That gives him an extra degree of freedom in trying to keep the RIGHT guys, not just the ones that keep everything below the cap.  (That's obviously the hard constraint.  But with the top 2 C's under contract for just over $14/yr and 3 key D under contract for ~$25MM (don't recall ottomh what Samuelsson's deal is, so that's likely off a bit but it's ball park), they'll be able to keep either one extra really good player or a couple of good players.  

Hopefully Levi follows this same path of performing very well at an early stage and wants to stay here LT and settles for a LT deal that seems extremely fair to both sides.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don’t really have an issue with the bridge. Sure, the first 4 years now he’ll be making more, but then the next 4 would have wound up being even more expensive. They’re still going to have plenty of space when these two contracts start. 

I like the Power contract for the same consistent reasons why I disliked the Dahlin bridge. It’s not really important to me to stride the fence.

my opinion on the Dahlin contract he got now is simply:

He’s Rasmus Dahlin 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.