Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

4 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Playoff teams I would like to see lose in the first round. Boston and Vegas

Maybe Carolina so we can get Brindamour 

For many, its hard to root against Boston when they are playing the Leafs...I think there are just as many people that dislike Toronto as Boston.

Plus there is one bonus for Boston winning....Even if you don't hate Toronto, lets say you are indifferent to them....having the Leafs lose in the first round....the drama, the stories, the reaction coming out of Toronto would be more than enough to entertain for the entire offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Sam Reinhart 2nd in the league in goals with 57. 

Zack Hyman 3rd in the league in goals with 54.

I have to think those are 2 things no-one going into the season was thinking.

The UFA status had me thinking Sam would have a bumper season but I didn’t see 57 goals as a possibility. I don’t think he hits that number again.

I don’t know how to look it up but Hyman’s average location of his goals must be within 4 feet of the crease, hmmm.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

The UFA status had me thinking Sam would have a bumper season but I didn’t see 57 goals as a possibility. I don’t think he hits that number again.

I don’t know how to look it up but Hyman’s average location of his goals must be within 4 feet of the crease, hmmm.

I've always thought Sam was good enough that he might have an outlier 90-point season in him at some point under the right circumstance. Not 50 goals though.

That's a $10M season. I think Sam should stay in Florida, but that team will have about $22M available to sign at least 10 players, including Sam and Montour.

I wonder how much of a discount he'll be willing to take.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2024 at 7:57 AM, mjd1001 said:

For many, its hard to root against Boston when they are playing the Leafs...I think there are just as many people that dislike Toronto as Boston.

Plus there is one bonus for Boston winning....Even if you don't hate Toronto, lets say you are indifferent to them....having the Leafs lose in the first round....the drama, the stories, the reaction coming out of Toronto would be more than enough to entertain for the entire offseason.

Curious what most Sabres fan think.  I would guess older fans who remember the Adams divisional matchups might dislike Boston more than Toronto.  Younger Buffalonians might dislike Toronto more. I can see Canadian fans (whether Sabre fans or other) wanting a  Leaf collapse, and respect that. I myself bring years of disgust for the city and fans of Boston (across many sports) so they rank higher.  Isn’t it a win-win for us? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

If you want to say within 6 feet of the crease and right in front, they yeah, 44 of his goals from there....

z hyman.jpg

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I've always thought Sam was good enough that he might have an outlier 90-point season in him at some point under the right circumstance. Not 50 goals though.

That's a $10M season. I think Sam should stay in Florida, but that team will have about $22M available to sign at least 10 players, including Sam and Montour.

Likely whatever the tax amount would be in Calgary or wherever else he'd sign. 

Florida will have to let some people go though that's for sure. 

Reinhart will be overpaid though. This is a peak year for him and he won't do it again (probably not anyway) and part of his success is the team he's on and his linemates. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hope he signs a big contract with Panthers so we can send them a couple of prospects in exchange for Lundell.

9 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Hope he signs a big contract with Panthers so we can send them a couple of prospects in exchange for Lundell.

I really don't think they will sign him but that'd be good. Unless they can move some big contracts somehow I doubt they can or will afford him. I'm betting he goes to Calgary. Unless of course Vegas puts several players on LTIR and promises him a new tandem bike. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I really don't think they will sign him but that'd be good. Unless they can move some big contracts somehow I doubt they can or will afford him. I'm betting he goes to Calgary. Unless of course Vegas puts several players on LTIR and promises him a new tandem bike. 

I don't think they can afford signing both Reinhard and Montour, but I think one of them will stay. Has it ever before happened that a team not sign their 50 goal scorer? It might also of course depend on how close to lord Stanley they get this year, if they win I think they are more up for big changes.

10 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I think you’re right, however I do wonder if Utah will come in with an outlandish offer

I could see Reinhart having massive regression with Utah if that were to happen. (Mainly because it would be inevitable with 30 goals being mass regression from this season's total.) 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, steveoath said:

I think you’re right, however I do wonder if Utah will come in with an outlandish offer

I could see this happening but it depends on what their ownership believes. Seattle wanted to make an immediate winning impact so they spent and had some playoffs but then they had to let a number of good pieces go and fell off but the idea of winning was implanted in their fanbase. 

If Utah feels they need to create hockey excitement they will be looking for some "star power" to build around. Reinhart's not that guy imo, but if that's what's available that might be what they do. 

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sharks have fired HC David Quinn.

This would be a good landing spot for Donny Granato. 

They couldn’t have been expecting better this year. That’s probably a lucky turn of events for Quinn.