Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What’s his Falls/60? 

I don’t pay attention to utterly useless stats like that 

I do know his Helmet Adjusts/60 is way up this year 

Owen Power should ring him up for some advice, his helmet is almost always crooked 

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

Well, Florida did really well

Remains to be seen how we did 

Wouldn't have minded making the playoffs last year 

Cup Final to boot.  As of now - Florida won that trade.  Down the road if Levi becomes something then we would have a push probably.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Can’t trust the Ducks after what they did two years ago. Also 9-7 vs 7-8-1 isn’t exactly a huge disparity

No it's not but he was laughing at them having Lybushkin and they're just about the same as us and slightly better right now. Right now I think the only team we can truly laugh at is the Sharks. Even the Flyers and their dinosaur coach are looking better (beat Carolina solidly tonight). 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ducks (picked to be near last) 9-7, Sabres (picked to finally turn it around) 7-8-1.

Keep laughing.

Not that this wouldn't ultimately have merit, but the problem with a sample size like this or record comparison's overall is that you really have to account for strength of schedule during the time frame being evaluated.

Granted, in the full picture, the number of points is the number of points, but deeper analysis might show that the Sabres have played higher quality competition, or have played teams who were playing better at the time they met.

Again, I'm not doing the analysis here because I don't have time nor desire. But just saying that putting something like this out there doesn't hold much water for me because I don't know that their records being so similar is necessarily a negative thing (if you look into it deeper).

At quick glance though, the Ducks play in a conference where 7 teams have point totals below them.  The Sabres conference has 3. it would appear that the Eastern Conference presents a greater challenge than the West.  But of course it matters who they've played.

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LTS said:

Not that this wouldn't ultimately have merit, but the problem with a sample size like this or record comparison's overall is that you really have to account for strength of schedule during the time frame being evaluated.

Granted, in the full picture, the number of points is the number of points, but deeper analysis might show that the Sabres have played higher quality competition, or have played teams who were playing better at the time they met.

Again, I'm not doing the analysis here because I don't have time nor desire. But just saying that putting something like this out there doesn't hold much water for me because I don't know that their records being so similar is necessarily a negative thing (if you look into it deeper).

At quick glance though, the Ducks play in a conference where 7 teams have point totals below them.  The Sabres conference has 3. it would appear that the Eastern Conference presents a greater challenge than the West.  But of course it matters who they've played.

I know what you’re wondering so I’ll answer it. They played the sharks once so far. 

2 hours ago, LTS said:

They beat Boston in OT. They beat Carolina, Pittsburgh and Vegas. 

I'm not trying to suggest the Ducks are actually any good. They're not. But they were expected to be bad and in full rebuild. We were expected to push for a playoff spot. So scoffing at the Ducks when your own team is floundering is just plain dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They beat Boston in OT. They beat Carolina, Pittsburgh and Vegas. 

I'm not trying to suggest the Ducks are actually any good. They're not. But they were expected to be bad and in full rebuild. We were expected to push for a playoff spot. So scoffing at the Ducks when your own team is floundering is just plain dumb. 

Seeing people constantly saying the same thing year after year after year and ending up looking like fools every single time and never learning their lesson is both sad and hilarious.

30 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Seeing people constantly saying the same thing year after year after year and ending up looking like fools every single time and never learning their lesson is both sad and hilarious.

I hope you are prepared for the “I told you so!” that’s coming, eventually, nonetheless. 

• Thanks (+1) 1