OT: Attempting my first water cooled HYTE Y60 Mid Tower desktop build, any advice greatly appreciated.

Scottysabres

So I picked up most of the non water coolant components today. Only thing I'm waiting on is the ASUS ROG 4090 24GB VRAM OC video card. Currently $2k, patiently banking for it. In the meantime, tower, monitor, processor and 2 x Dominator PLAT RGB DDR5 enroute via shipping.

I have 3 x 120mm and 2 x 140mm rgb fans. I'm trying to figure out the radiator and pump scenario for this. Any input greatly appreciated.

Pic of components included for scrutiny 🤣, put me against the boards if I flubbed the puck 😀

20230930_190928.jpg

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

• Scottysabres changed the title to OT: Attempting my first water cooled HYTE Y60 Mid Tower desktop build, any advice greatly appreciated.

Had the floppy drive, had the 13" B&W monitor, but never the printer. I would have really envied you back when I was 11 or 12 years old!

My friend had a Texas Instruments computer back then too. Together we got kind of good at programming in BASIC on our respective machines... At least as good as kids our age could have got.

Edit: Sorry about the thread hijack!

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Had the floppy drive, had the 13" B&W monitor, but never the printer. I would have really envied you back when I was 11 or 12 years old!

My friend had a Texas Instruments computer back then too. Together we got kind of good at programming in BASIC on our respective machines... At least as good as kids our age could have got.

Edit: Sorry about the thread hijack!

Had a copy of Pascal too.  Way more efficient than Basic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

So I picked up most of the non water coolant components today. Only thing I'm waiting on is the ASUS ROG 4090 24GB VRAM OC video card. Currently $2k, patiently banking for it. In the meantime, tower, monitor, processor and 2 x Dominator PLAT RGB DDR5 enroute via shipping.

I have 3 x 120mm and 2 x 140mm rgb fans. I'm trying to figure out the radiator and pump scenario for this. Any input greatly appreciated.

Pic of components included for scrutiny 🤣, put me against the boards if I flubbed the puck 😀

20230930_190928.jpg

First things first, will the graphics card fit in your Mid-Tower? 

Be sure to have plenty of cord management supplies at your disposal.

As for your liquid cooling system, I'd suggest watching some tutorials on YouTube as well as peruse the many computer builder forums. They tend to be very helpful due to their mass quantity of answers already made.

Good luck on this invigorating endeavor. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

First things first, will the graphics card fit in your Mid-Tower? 

Be sure to have plenty of cord management supplies at your disposal.

As for your liquid cooling system, I'd suggest watching some tutorials on YouTube as well as peruse the many computer builder forums. They tend to be very helpful due to their mass quantity of answers already made.

Good luck on this invigorating endeavor. 

Yep Wook, the 4090 will fit. It's a very roomy tower. I have watched a bunch of those videos. It's what inspired me. I've been running off of an HP Omen laptop for the past 6 years or so. I'm 52, but the kid in me is still on full display within certain aspects of my life, PC gaming being one of those aspects. So I decided to upgrade. Once I saw those liquid cooled towers, I was hooked.

So I picked up the IFIXIT tool kit for computers, and I ordered Corsair's tubing bender kit along with the blue dye for the cooling water color. I'm waiting on several already ordered components, including the tower, to be delivered. But it's the cooling system itself that I was hoping some others may have dabbled in. The videos on YouTube are great though to.

38 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I took a course for Pascal and Fortran, don’t remember much about it, hated programming.

Way way back in the day at ECC, I took Cobol, RPG, Fortran & Assembler.  

Sorry to hijack.  😈

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Liquid cooled home computer?  Never seen that.  We use liquid cooling in fighter aircraft when we have to.  Forced air is preferred if it can do the job but it often cannot on complex sensing equipment.  

It must be a very powerful processor.  

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Liquid cooled home computer?  Never seen that.  We use liquid cooling in fighter aircraft when we have to.  Forced air is preferred if it can do the job but it often cannot on complex sensing equipment.  

I had a choice between AMD and Intel. Some like the AMD, others like the Intel, I wasn't sure which route to go. I chose Intel, and I have 0 idea why lol

Here's the pic that I ran across that inspired me to try this:

shopping (1).jpeg

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Liquid cooling has been around awhile.  It replaces the thermal fan you would normally use and that creates a much quieter setup. Sure it's great for heat dissipation as well, but the silence (and often the LED bling) are the primary reasons people choose it.

I didn't build a PC the last time I upgraded because of the cost of video cards.  I've been considering an upgrade but, just don't need it these days.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Liquid cooling has been around awhile.  It replaces the thermal fan you would normally use and that creates a much quieter setup. Sure it's great for heat dissipation as well, but the silence (and often the LED bling) are the primary reasons people choose it.

I didn't build a PC the last time I upgraded because of the cost of video cards.  I've been considering an upgrade but, just don't need it these days.

2k for the 4090. It was the 1 item I walked away from as an immediate purchase. Newest latest and greatest, short supply. I won't have the system completely built until November, so I can bank up for it. It's my 1st desktop unit in 12 maybe 13 years or so, but, I bend tubing/conduit for a living, so I said to hell with it, why not.

On a side note, I will probably upgrade to the 2 x 49" curved screens. Once I started poking around, these combat flight simulation gaming package MMO arenas gave me a devilish grin. I may be the guy that gets shot down a lot, but I'll have a lot of fun in these winter months, especially some of these ww2 style simulators 😀

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2023 at 12:38 PM, Scottysabres said:

2k for the 4090. It was the 1 item I walked away from as an immediate purchase. Newest latest and greatest, short supply. I won't have the system completely built until November, so I can bank up for it. It's my 1st desktop unit in 12 maybe 13 years or so, but, I bend tubing/conduit for a living, so I said to hell with it, why not.

On a side note, I will probably upgrade to the 2 x 49" curved screens. Once I started poking around, these combat flight simulation gaming package MMO arenas gave me a devilish grin. I may be the guy that gets shot down a lot, but I'll have a lot of fun in these winter months, especially some of these ww2 style simulators 😀

Yeah, I bought a PC instead because they get better deals.  but, I never buy cutting edge anyway.. it's far too expensive.  I have been toying with building a racing rig, full seat frame and everything.  But.. common sense keeps winning out. 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:51 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

My first computer, an Atari 800XL had 64kB. No rads, no pumps.

I had a 400 then an 800XL, lol.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Yeah, I bought a PC instead because they get better deals.  but, I never buy cutting edge anyway.. it's far too expensive.  I have been toying with building a racing rig, full seat frame and everything.  But.. common sense keeps winning out. 🙂

My friend out in Denver built a driving rugged. The seat is a bucket from an 80s Porsche.

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, .55. said:

win win

you don't have to break anything or spend time learning nerdy things

the other person gets paid to do the fun stuff

It's actually quite interesting to me anyways. I learned a little something these past 5 to 6 days......

Paging @SDS, SDS or any computer hardware individuals. What are your thoughts on delidding a chip to mod for direct connect to the water block?

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

It's actually quite interesting to me anyways. I learned a little something these past 5 to 6 days......

Paging @SDS, SDS or any computer hardware individuals. What are your thoughts on delidding a chip to mod for direct connect to the water block?

For sure, catching up on the new tech is almost as much fun as actually having the new machine and I draw out that learning process as long as I can. I spent a couple months in the beginning of the year prepping and spreadsheeting before building my system and it rocked. I don't think I would (or could) have waited if I had a 4090 in my budget though. I need to improve my vanilla twin qhd monitors to truly appreciate my card as is, I sent back a pair that had terrible ips bleed and a third got damaged en route and never arrived. I might have to bite the bullet on oled but that seems crazy for a screen that's mostly static.

I'm too much of a coward to delid and I don't push my machine enough to worry about thermals, but it seems like it's a lot more foolproof than it used to be.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, .55. said:

For sure, catching up on the new tech is almost as much fun as actually having the new machine and I draw out that learning process as long as I can. I spent a couple months in the beginning of the year prepping and spreadsheeting before building my system and it rocked. I don't think I would (or could) have waited if I had a 4090 in my budget though. I need to improve my vanilla twin qhd monitors to truly appreciate my card as is, I sent back a pair that had terrible ips bleed and a third got damaged en route and never arrived. I might have to bite the bullet on oled but that seems crazy for a screen that's mostly static.

I'm too much of a coward to delid and I don't push my machine enough to worry about thermals, but it seems like it's a lot more foolproof than it used to be.

Then your the person I need to chat with it appears. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. I have a bunch of parts already as you saw by the pic above. I'm waiting on a few components yet, including the HYTE Y60 case.

But as I read more and more, I've found you can really do quite a bit. I'm not sure if the mother board I chose or going with the intel 13900 as opposed to AMD was the right call. I was going off of what I learned online as well as speaking with the tech guys at best buy. There seems to be a heavily entrenched crowd on both sides of the aisle.

There is no doubt I'm going 4090, the questions I have are on the water cooling aspect. I'm really not a fan of replacing the Y60's glass with water system mods, but I would like the little angle piece of glass HUD.

As for the cooling system itself, I got 3 x 120mm and 2 x 140mm fans, the bending of tubing doesn't bother me, I have the Corsair bender kit and both 12 as well as 14 mm inbound now, along with the corsair blue dye. It's the radiator sizing I'm still trying to figure out.

I saw a system with 2 independent cooling systems, 1 for the cpu, 1 for the gbu, ya, I think I'm hooked on mod'ing 😆 

Edited by Scottysabres

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.