GDT: Sabres @ Leafs - September 27, 2023 - 6:30PM, MSG-B/NHLN📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

37 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Sabres PP yields 2 Leaf goals.  Decline ! 

Not getting back on D still an issue tonight.  

In fairness, the league seems to be looking into an experimentation with one SH goal ending a PP, so that 2nd goal right after Domi got out of the box wouldn't have happened.  Unfortunately they're a bit ahead of their own time.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty poor game i thought from the Sabres. UPL has become the whooping boy from tonight but im not sure anybody actually stepped up in this game. Ryan Johnson played alright at times, i thought Power struggled, Rousek was alright in a few shifts, Cozens looked next level some shifts and poor in other times.... the Leafs outshot the Sabres tonight 41-15.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Pretty poor game i thought from the Sabres. UPL has become the whooping boy from tonight but im not sure anybody actually stepped up in this game. Ryan Johnson played alright at times, i thought Power struggled, Rousek was alright in a few shifts, Cozens looked next level some shifts and poor in other times.... the Leafs outshot the Sabres tonight 41-15.

The Sabres were flat the entire game.  It was mostly an AHL team.  Yes UPL didn’t get much help, but he needs to learn to stop a breakaway.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres were flat the entire game.  It was mostly an AHL team.  Yes UPL didn’t get much help, but he needs to learn to stop a breakaway.

My sense after watching UPL for a while is that because of his size and lack of quickness that he will never excel in breakaway and shootout situations. The issue becomes can he at least improve his weakness in those areas to at least being adequate? And associated with that issue is whether because of his size as an asset can he play well enough in the games to compensate for his deficiencies against players with open space? We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1

Garbage. 

Fast wide open hockey from two teams that prefer to play wide open hockey but that's not how you beat the Leafs. 

I was not impressed with anybody on the Sabres. UPL was garbage. I see zero progression from last year. It's time to move on from Olofsson. Garbage. Power looked like his age making several mistakes and showing he still has learning to do. Kisikov needs to learn to shoot not just pass. Maybe that's a Russian training thing, always playing for the absolutely perfect shot. idk, but he has learning to do. 

I think we threw one hit in the entire game and got a bs penalty for it. They didn't throw any either. Soft hockey on both sides. 

Honestly, two games now, I'm seeing troubling signs of same old problems, but it is early and these are iffy line ups. Wait to see how we look with Clifton, Johnson, and more regulars before worrying.

It was like reconnecting with the ex night: all the players we worry about reinforced why we worry;

• Bryson got overpowered down low like Bryson does
  • UPL whiffed on a long shot, like UPL does
  • Olofsson failed to assert himself in any appreciable way like Olofsson does
  • Jost looked like a JAG, like Jost does
  • Krebs hustled a lot and accomplished a little, like Krebs does.

Most of the rest of the lineup consisted of minor leaguers and longshots, who looked like minor leaguers and longshots (I thought Brett Murray was the best of that bunch).

The notable exception was Ryan Johnson, who is a legitimate prospect and continues to show it. He will be an NHL regular.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2

I became busy making birthday cakes after the first so only listened on the radio occasionally catching a quick glimpse of the TV. First off, I dread another season with Dan. But the main thing is Power. Did he play the entire game? Until I just looked at tonight's roster again I forgot he was on it.

Edited by ...
Why be moody when you can shake your booty?!

The first TO goal was a gift from UPL and the 2nd was one from Ryan Johnson, who sent a poor pass into the neutral zone on a failed exit and then got blown past flat footed by a Leaf who set up the goal.

I watched about half the game and wasn’t impressed by any of them.

Yuck.  

I have to add, that I probably shouldn’t have lumped Lukas Rousek in with the AHLers and longshots because I had him pencilled in to the NHL lineup this year.

But if you watched him, you can’t really blame me. He had the best spot in the lineup beside Cozens and did absolutely nothing to distinguish himself from the crowd.

I’d say Murray and certainly Biro have been better, never mind the “real” prospects.

Edited by dudacek

Tonight's game sadly reinforced 3 things for me.  First, I have zero faith in UPL as an NHL goalie.  Second, Krebs needs to really step up his play or he will be pushed out of the lineup by Kulich.  Third, I still don't like the Power/Joki pairing.  Please DG make it stop.  Push Joki to the 3rd pair where he belongs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The first TO goal was a gift from UPL and the 2nd was one from Ryan Johnson, who sent a poor pass into the neutral zone on a failed exit and then got blown past flat footed by a Leaf who set up the goal.

Yuck.  

Maybe I got the numbers wrong but I thought that was Power on the 2nd goal. Agree on UPL. He's just awkward. 

Johnson flashed, he'll play big minutes in Roch to round out his game before getting a call up...  much better for his development vs slotting in as the 6th, 7th or 8th on the big club.

I'm done with UPL he ain't it and hasn't flashed.   Send him to Roch.  Comrie should easily win the backup job.

Power... first game back after a long summer to recover from 18 months of non-stop hockey.   He'll be fine.

Cozens... expected more.

Krebs... looks bigger, stronger, more assertive, happy with his development.

Bryson... smell ya.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Garbage. 

Fast wide open hockey from two teams that prefer to play wide open hockey but that's not how you beat the Leafs. 

I was not impressed with anybody on the Sabres. UPL was garbage. I see zero progression from last year. It's time to move on from Olofsson. Garbage. Power looked like his age making several mistakes and showing he still has learning to do. Kisikov needs to learn to shoot not just pass. Maybe that's a Russian training thing, always playing for the absolutely perfect shot. idk, but he has learning to do. 

I think we threw one hit in the entire game and got a bs penalty for it. They didn't throw any either. Soft hockey on both sides. 

Honestly, two games now, I'm seeing troubling signs of same old problems, but it is early and these are iffy line ups. Wait to see how we look with Clifton, Johnson, and more regulars before worrying.

Agree. VO is definitely replaceable. Also two preseason games with a mix of different players does not settle much in my view of this team. I still a m concerned with goaltending until proven otherwise.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

It was like reconnecting with the ex night: all the players we worry about reinforced why we worry;

• Krebs hustled a lot and accomplished a little, like Krebs does.

Which has always been my worry about Krebs and why I'm not as high on him as so many.  As we got to the end of last year, he had started to play a lot better.  But more often than now when I watch him, he has the heart, attitude, and knowledge of a first round prospect, but the physical tools don't often match.  He was a first rounder for a reason though, I hope he makes this team and is a good player for a long time, but I can't shake the feeling that very often he is just a step to slow getting to where he needs to be or just a bit less physical than he needs to be to win a crucial battle.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe I got the numbers wrong but I thought that was Power on the 2nd goal. Agree on UPL. He's just awkward. 

I may have mixed up the 2nd and 3rd goals — Power also got completely dusted on one of TO’s goals (separately from the one Johnson screwed up on).  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yuck.  

That’s what killed them last year in regular season matchup in Buffalo.  Wasn’t all the leaf fans in attendance.  It was UPL whiffing on two longer, routine shots that went in.  

This team is ready to sore with league average goaltending.  KA refuses to address such a glaring need.  Yes Levi looks great but do you really plan on starting him 55+ games in his rookie year and expect there to be enough in the tank come playoffs?  Someone not named Devin Levi will have to play probably 35 to 40 games and that scares the hell out of me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe I'm giving him too much benefit of doubt, but I'm sure KA tried to upgrade our goalies during the offseason. I highly doubt he "refuses to address" the need. I do think he's maybe too reluctant to trade away some of our pipeline to win now though.

I do find it telling that most (all?) UFA goalies stayed put. Plus no one traded for Hellebuyck or Hart. Those were supposedly the 2 goalies on the trade market this summer. No one here knows what was actually being asked for those guys. So it's impossible to speculate if KA is refusing to do what's needed, or simply not going to get fleeced simply to appease fans impatience due to a long playoff drought that is largely not his fault.

People want Olofsson and Byron gone, yet somehow think other teams will take them as part of a trade for a quality goaltender. I suspect the asking price for Hellebuyck and Hart was simply too high.

As bad as UPL played last night, I suspect he won't clear waivers. Some team will take a chance on him.

I definitely think we need to upgrade on Comrie and UPL and I'd love it to be a vet who can start for 1 or 2 seasons while Levi gets used to playing a rigorous NHL schedule. But seems that ship has sailed.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

This team is ready to sore with league average goaltending.  KA refuses to address such a glaring need.  Yes Levi looks great but do you really plan on starting him 55+ games in his rookie year and expect there to be enough in the tank come playoffs?  Someone not named Devin Levi will have to play probably 35 to 40 games and that scares the hell out of me. 

Comrie or UPL need to step up their games.

I know it is preseason hockey but competent goaltending leads to wins.

I am confident in Levi to do his share but he is a rookie. 

I’m interested to see Cooley play some more.

13 minutes ago, Derrico said:

That’s what killed them last year in regular season matchup in Buffalo.  Wasn’t all the leaf fans in attendance.  It was UPL whiffing on two longer, routine shots that went in.  

I’m not worried about anything based on 3 pre-season games. But if I were to be worried I would be much more so by our defensive play than the goaltending. We have been outshot in every game thus far and by a total of 111-77.  We will need to play better D and give our goalies a chance to be good. 

Specific to goaltending:

- Comrie was fine and gave us a chance to win

- Levi was excellent, but probably had the lightest workload

- UPL didn’t help himself with the first goal, but that was a fluke in my view; he faced the most difficult shot distribution of the 3. You can’t take away a bad/fluke goal, but other than that goal I thought he was fine.

Going into this year I strongly believed that improving our defensive play was as or more important to our improvement as improved goaltending. Through 3 preseason games my view has only been reinforced.

• Like (+1) 2

This was a type of game with a mish mash of players that I can't make any reasonable judgments on. I'm not going to put myself in a frenzied state on the play of UPL. He was left exposed on plays when players came in on him in one-on-one situations. We already knew that was his weakness. This was simply a practice session where too much shouldn't be deemed from it. This was scrambling hockey game that wasn't entertaining to watch. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.