GDT: 9/24/23 Buffalo Sabres @ Washington Capitals (Preseason) 2 pm -- Sabres.com Radio 930

bob_sauve28

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Before the Boosh trade I thought there was no way Bryson was making the Sabres. Now I’m not so sure.

Johnson and Novikov can’t develop fast enough for my liking. I can handle Stillman and Clague’s warts more than his.

The additions of E Johnson and C Clifton pushed Bryson down to 8th D, imo, at best. Still a better than even chance he ends up Rochester. Let’s hope. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Derrico said:

Interesting the differing takes.  Wish I was able to watch.  Hope to catch some highlights. 

In retrospect, he has that long stride that looks like he’s not motoring and being alongside Benson who is going 100mph accentuated it. I hope Greenway does well. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

The additions of E Johnson and C Clifton pushed Bryson down to 8th D, imo, at best. Still a better than even chance he ends up Rochester. Let’s hope. 

As you are pointing out, this blue line unit is starting to get depth. Bryson, Clague and Stillman are utility/fourth pairing players. The bottom half of our pairings are adequate enough to where they are not major liabilities when they are on the ice, even for minimum minutes. We now have players such as Joki, Clifton, Johnson and Samuelsson who could be moved up or down the top three pairings and still be effective. In the not-too-distant future, Ryan Johnson will be added to the lower pairing group and strengthen the bottom of that unit.

From an overview perspective, the roster is being built up and is solidifying. The post-Krueger plan is being successfully implemented. And it was done in relatively short order.  My expectations are high; and they are realistic.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

In fairness I only saw the 10 minute highlight package, but from that it looked a lot like last year. Lots of skill on display, good and often dangerous offense, but the D was lacking and at times non existent. 

Obviously though, not the starting line up by any means. 

Considering there was not a single NHL regular playing, what did u expect.

Attached is a Buffalo News link by Lance Lysowski. I thought he gave a fair assessment of our players in this game. The player he most focused on was Benson. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/buffalo-sabres-washington-capitals-nhl-preseason-zach-benson-tyson-jost/article_a39cf200-5adc-11ee-8dc3-4f37ad3873f7.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Considering there was not a single NHL regular playing, what did u expect.

The player who made the biggest impression on me was Benson. In another year or two, he is really going to be good. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the roster for an introductory stint. I won't be surprised if Ryan Johnson gets called up sometime this year. He has a mature game. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

The player who made the biggest impression on me was Benson. In another year or two, he is really going to be good. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the roster for an introductory stint. I won't be surprised if Ryan Johnson gets called up sometime this year. He has a mature game. 

I was most impressed by Johnson, he's probably the first call-up option.   

Benson plays a very mature game but his lack of speed showed... even against a mostly AHL roster.    He'll need to get faster and stronger before he suits up in the regular season.

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Benson plays a very mature game but his lack of speed showed... even against a mostly AHL roster.    He'll need to get faster and stronger before he suits up in the regular season.

We are in accord in our assessment of both players. Johnson is older than Benson and is more physically developed. Benson has a lot of skill but needs to get stronger. It's just going to take some time for that. Both Tage and Mitts needed to physically develop before they could seriously contribute. Clearly, they have gotten to that required physical standard. And now they have become entrenched NHL players. 

What I like about Benson is that he is not intimidated playing at the NHL level. He has an attitude that he belongs. He's going to be a gem. I'm glad we kept the pick and were able to select him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Johnson's 4 years at a top NCAA program is showing.

Benson's skating won't keep him out of the NHL this year. He creates and uses space just fine.

For the first time, I'm starting to wonder if his size will either.

Still a ways to go and many tests to pass, but he's not looked overmatched yet. Is he really behind Rousek or Kulich?

If you're looking for a guy to replace Quinn's game, he's the best fit.

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres are broadcasting the NESN Feed with the Bruins Commentators on MSG 

I was geo-blocked yesterday and expect to be blocked again tomorrow. I have no idea why.

I've seen JJP, Biro, Benson and Johnson get a lot of praise on twitter today from this game, but just wanted to make a post about Riley Stillman, i thought he had a excellent game. He was physical but didn't chase any hits. He absolutely destroyed Sonny Milano in the corner, and then had another big hit. I thought last season Stillman chased a hit, something like Risto would do, and get himself out of position then have to get back in a frenzy and sometimes would commit a penalty. Defensively i thought he was solid all night too.

Only preseason, but encouraging from Stillman imo. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I guess, but I'm not sure why.

Blocks usually only happen when there's a rights holder conflict.

Not aware of that being available on any outlet up here.

I think there are different NHL rights negotiated in different countries. For example, we are not allowed to see any NHL videos from Canadian sites like Sportsnet or TSN. I mean I can see the same videos on NHL.com or ESPN.com, but you are going to prevent me from seeing them on a Canadian site? Yet they do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.