Sabres New Ticket Sale Policy: “Hometown Advantage”

That Aud Smell

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I remember when there was an outside game in Canada against Toronto. Our team was decisively beating Toronto. The Toronto fans were silenced and walked out of the stadium before the game was concluded. As you point out, how the team plays is the most influential reason as to how the fans respond. 

I would rather have our arena filled to capacity with half or more of the crowd boisterously rooting for Toronto than have a half empty arena filled with Sabre fans who are snoozing throughout most of the game because of the uninspired play on the ice. 

The customers who buy tickets and root for the team that they want. I would rather have seats filled than not. 

This is so far removed from the topic at hand - giving Sabre fans first crack at tickets over the fans of other teams - that it should almost be another thread.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is so far removed from the topic at hand - giving Sabre fans first crack at tickets over the fans of other teams - that it should almost be another thread.

We are simply on different planets on this issue. I don't even know why this is an issue especially for an organization that on too many nights has a building that is half empty with the fans not very engaged. The bigger problem isn't having too many out-of-town fans in the seats as it is having too many empty seats. It's ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We are simply on different planets on this issue. I don't even know why this is an issue especially for an organization that on too many nights has a building that is half empty with the fans not very engaged. The bigger problem isn't having too many out-of-town fans in the seats as it is having too many empty seats. It's ridiculous. 

You’re absolutely right.

It’s ridiculous that anyone could possibly be bothered by a bunch of obnoxious Leaf fans coming into their home and treating it like their own.

I can’t believe we’re even talking about it.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:39 AM, That Aud Smell said:

I would not have expected that from you. It troubles me a bit that the players were griping. It reminded me a bit - maybe not fairly - of Terry Pegula's February 2011 overture to the Buffalo News editorial board to make their writers be nicer to the Sabres players. (Remember when TBN had Sabres writers that ownership would worry about?)

If the business office is placing restraints on ticket sales in order to address complaints from players on the team, I like this initiative even less.

There's an enormous difference between an owner somehow thinking that what Harrington and Sullivan were writing had some negative effect on the team (and that puff pieces could help) and players complaining about an 80% Leafs crowd at home. The latter situation clearly can affect their play. They are human. Critical media is the norm in pro sports, to the point of not even being a factor for the professional athlete. The Leaf crowds? That's coocoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Remember Ted Black's "million things you do to win"? It went away with The Tank. I see this move as its possible return. It can directly contribute to a feeling that things really are changing in Buffalo. Good for the players for complaining. We've seen how they play when the building is full and the crowd is behind them. They deserve that much.

But if Leafs fans are the villains, there are plenty of co-conspirators among the Sabres' fan base. Ardent is not the word I'd use for them.

Edited by PASabreFan
Effect to affect
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

There were several years in the mid 2010’s when the Sabres were available on TV here in the entire Niagara Peninsula (Fort Erie through to Stoney Creek) if you were a Bell satellite TV subscriber.   They had a dedicated Sabres TV channel for non-national games that carried the MSG feed.  Ted Black was the guy who put this into place.  Unfortunately, this was when the Sabres were absolutely horrible.  Because of their historically poor performance, there weren’t too many people watching and for that reason Bell and the Sabres mutually agreed to cancel the deal.  Of course, this happened when I was able to get Bell Fibe in my neighborhood.  If this deal materialized in the mid 2000’s, there would probably be a lot more new Sabres fans in Niagara after watching Briere and Drury.  Pre-COVID, I was a mini-pack holder for more than two decades and went to about 10 games a year with either my work buddy, brother or my wife.  Actually usually tried to avoid the Leafs games because of the higher priced ticket and also that fact that there were too many annoying Leafs fans in the building.  Usually regretted it later as the Sabres owned the Leafs in Buffalo.  Usually attended weekend games mostly.  Back in the days when the Sabres were on Channel 2 or Channel 29, there was more exposure over here and the Leafs were historically bad, you had a really good fan base that came over to watch the games in the Aud.   It’s different now, but there are still many people like me - probably the biggest proportion of fans would be over 50 - like me.  Certainly in Niagara the number of Leaf fans would outnumber the Sabres fans, but restricting ticket sales by delaying availability should probably be based on if you are outside of NF, SC, FE, PC, Thorold and Welland.  If you want to make an argument about Niagara restrictions, it should only apply to Leafs games or Habs games. (Welland has a ton of Habs fans).  I understand people wanting to make a buck on Leafs games for those that need to budget their hockey discretionary income appropriately, and it does add to the competitive atmosphere when there are Leaf fans in there, but not 80%, not 50%, 33% is pushing it - maybe 25% would be acceptable and still make it a fun atmosphere.  So maybe this idea has merit, but delay ticket sales for certain areas only, and only when it’s applied to the specific fans of the games against Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Penguins and maybe Bruins and Red Wings.  I agree that if Sabres were scary good again (RIP RJ from my hometown) most visiting team issues would be minimized.  The one last thing that I believe has resolved is the tons of tickets that used to be gobbled up by brokers and sold to the visiting teams fans when the bigger market franchises came in.  Correct me if I’m wrong on that, but that used to contribute to the issue of visiting fans invading the arena as well.  Anyway, go Sabres.  Hopefully this is the year when they are back as a legit playoff team.  Get well soon please Jack Quinn, and keep that confidence high, Devon Levi.

Edited by repster
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The only game I’ve ever attended in Buffalo was the late season game against Boston ( 7-0 ) loss. It was a sea of black and puke yellow. Surrounded by chowder heads and a New England Accent. Definately a strange experience.  Don’t get me wrong, the B fans around us were respectful as they were at the restuarant and the pub after but it sure would have been nice to be surrounded by Sabres fans for that experience. Really not sure what the answer is ? Put a better product on the ice ? Despite the Sabres improved play it was men against boys that particular game.

As a Buffalo sports fan for 49 years this is a horrible idea. It’s just another reason why Terry Pegula needs to sell the whole Buffalo Sabres franchise not just the rumored 49%. Terry Pegula is reckless with the Buffalo Sabres franchise for 12 years and counting. I live in the Buffalo northern suburbs of Amherst I don’t care about some Western New York Sabres fans benefits as mini ticket brokers this is a horrible business idea and practice for the Buffalo Sabres franchise. I am loyal Buffalo homer forever fan but this is leading to NHL hockey potentially leaving Buffalo at some point if that potentially happens we will point to this day. Because a good portion of our neighbors to the north Southern Ontario have supported the Buffalo Sabres franchise for years. Newsflash Terry Pegula it’s some of the Western New York fans that aren’t Buffalo Sabres fans because they have access to all the NHL games today it’s not just some Canadian fans rooting for opposing teams. This is not like my generation where all we got was the Buffalo Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs in this market before cable television. Those Boston Bruins fans are potentially Buffalonians. Again whatever it doesn’t matter as long as the Buffalo Sabres seats are filled. You think all those Buffalo fans are Buffalo Bills fans? No there not. It’s just the way things are today. Again I am good either way because if the Buffalo Sabres NHL hypothetically move to Houston or wherever I would follow and be a fan of the potential new Buffalo Stampede or Buffalo Wings AHL franchise that potentially replaces the Buffalo Sabres.

I am telling Buffalo Sabres fans like it is. It’s doesn’t matter if 99% are Toronto Maple Leafs fans at Buffalo Sabres games if the Buffalo Sabres seats are full and the Buffalo Sabres stays in Buffalo. For the Buffalo fans with reading comprehension problems I am not saying I want the Buffalo Sabres to move. I am saying if they moved I would be loyal to Buffalo sports teams like potentially a Buffalo AHL franchise if the Buffalo Sabres potentially moved out of Buffalo. What is ironic sadly is to the Buffalo Sabres broker fan that likes this idea if the Buffalo Sabres potentially moved they would most likely wouldn’t buy Buffalo AHL tickets because it isn’t big time enough for them to scalp the Buffalo AHL tickets. So no I don’t back this idea to appeal to Buffalo Sabres mini ticket broker fan you are either a Buffalo Sabres fan with all of the US, Canada and the World being able to purchase tickets or you are not in a capitalistic sports business. As a loyal Buffalo Sabres fan this is a bad idea by a incompetent clueless owner that hires even more clueless marketing and management people. Sell the Buffalo Sabres team to investors that want to keep the Buffalo Sabres in Buffalo with a clue Terry Pegula in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Disagree 2

Again it's possible if not likely that the business side of the team knows it's a terrible idea that won't work. IMHO the players started the ball rolling on this, and KA went to Roth or even Pegula.

“We’re hopeful this experiment will work. It’s part of the conversations with Kevyn (General Manager Kevyn Adams), and making sure we’re having that dialogue is important.” -Sabres sales and service VP

• Like (+1) 1

Anytime the Sabres are good, very good, or scary good the crowd attendance is never a problem.  The best it will ever be is about 25-30% Leaf’s/Canadian fans if the STH’s would not use these games to recoup costs.  For that to happen the team has to be exciting and legit.   

• Agree 1

I'm just curious. When Toronto fans come to the game in Buffalo do most of them  just go to the games and then drive home. Or do they come in early and fill up the local restaurants before the game and then drive home after the game? Do some of them stay the night and then go home the next day? 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm just curious. When Toronto fans come to the game in Buffalo do most of them  just go to the games and then drive home. Or do they come in early and fill up the local restaurants before the game and then drive home after the game? Do some of them stay the night and then go home the next day? 

A little of each, there are so many it only makes sense.  

Back when malls were popular a lot of them stayed then shopped the next day.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Tour buses. With lots of beer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Anytime the Sabres are good, very good, or scary good the crowd attendance is never a problem.  The best it will ever be is about 25-30% Leaf’s/Canadian fans if the STH’s would not use these games to recoup costs.  For that to happen the team has to be exciting and legit.   

I'm sorry, but I remember 50/50 even in 2006-ish.  It was 25% for the Sens, even.  It's just how it is here, we live next to about 25% of Canada's population and anyone whose granddad filled up at a gas station where Bobby Orr took a poop once is a Bruins fan, on top of it.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Again it's possible if not likely that the business side of the team knows it's a terrible idea that won't work. IMHO the players started the ball rolling on this, and KA went to Roth or even Pegula.

“We’re hopeful this experiment will work. It’s part of the conversations with Kevyn (General Manager Kevyn Adams), and making sure we’re having that dialogue is important.” -Sabres sales and service VP

To be honest I agree with you here; my guess was this was a player complaint, since I doubt the Pegulas want to potentially lose a portion of sales. However Terry is a Sabres fan at heart and is willing to eat a minor loss in potential revenue if it helps the team improve at home and thus create further revenue in the future 

On 8/30/2023 at 7:20 PM, JohnC said:

I remember when there was an outside game in Canada against Toronto. Our team was decisively beating Toronto. The Toronto fans were silenced and walked out of the stadium before the game was concluded. As you point out, how the team plays is the most influential reason as to how the fans respond. 

I would rather have our arena filled to capacity with half or more of the crowd boisterously rooting for Toronto than have a half empty arena filled with Sabre fans who are snoozing throughout most of the game because of the uninspired play on the ice. 

The customers who buy tickets and root for the team that they want. I would rather have seats filled than not. 

Nah. ***** the queefs and their fans. 

***** the chowdaheads and their fans. 

***** em all. 

GO Sabres!

38 minutes ago, shrader said:

Finger pointing at the Pegulas is pretty funny in here.  I'm willing to bet that this decision never even crossed their desk, other than maybe a quick rubber stamping.  This one isn't worth their time.

Someone hasn't been paying attention for 12+ years.

Also Terry is now the president of the Buffalo Sabres. He was named to that position by... The organist I think.

The team president would be all over a move like this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:17 AM, PASabreFan said:

Someone hasn't been paying attention for 12+ years.

Also Terry is now the president of the Buffalo Sabres. He was named to that position by... The organist I think.

The team president would be all over a move like this.

Norm Wullen? 

A) I haven’t bothered reading the whole thread so I’m sorry if any of this has been beaten to death

B) This isn’t really a novel idea. Other franchises have done it for years.

C) Even during the first years, the crowd was mixed for any “original six” game as most season ticket holders were fans of those teams before Buffalo had a team. It got a lot more intense when Montreal or Toronto came to town because the fans of those teams could get pretty nasty with each other.

D) This may have crossed TPEGS desk, but it definitely didn’t originate with him. I’m not sure he even knew it was possible.

E) The crowds in 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 weren’t much different. In fact, because those tickets cost me only $39 back then, I would sell all the Montreal and Toronto tickets and paid for almost my entire season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.