Terry Pegula named Sabres President; PSE separating Bills and Sabres

Doohickie

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The person II don't remember who it was) who referred to the "powerful owner" was referring to Jacobs, not Pegula.

Was he? Not sure what the point he was making was then in terms of Pegula and the Sabres as the issue. 

Jacobs is powerful though sure. Original six and one of the most popular teams outside their geography. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Was he? Not sure what the point he was making was then in terms of Pegula and the Sabres as the issue. 

Jacobs is powerful though sure. Original six and one of the most popular teams outside their geography. 

So how does this make Jacobs a  powerful.  Does he get two votes for original 6?  A third vote for having a popular team?  

This is a nonsense conversation.  Jacobs might be influential, but not for these reasons.  

On 8/28/2023 at 2:46 PM, PASabreFan said:

I'd substitute Sabres for Bills in this post. Viva la difference!

I do have "I'm a football guy" on my side. More circumstantially Terry said he didn't know the Sabres were for sale after the Rigas downfall. What fan didn't know that?

I'd substitute Sabres for Bills in this post. Viva la difference!

I do have "I'm a football guy" on my side. More circumstantially Terry said he didn't know the Sabres were for sale after the Rigas downfall. What fan didn't know that?

Mr Pegula could not have purchased the Sabres back then.  He did not have his $ at the time.  That is the better and more accurate answer than not knowing it was available for sale.  The NHL friggin' was publicly running the team at the time.

• dislike 1

20 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m not calling you out in any way, but I am quoting you because you’ve basically described the Coyotes franchise. It would take epic levels of failure from here for the Buffalo franchise to come close to the level of Arizona.  

It also can be reasonably stated that he was describing the Sabres for the 10+ years leading up to the last 2.

38 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Mr Pegula could not have purchased the Sabres back then.  He did not have his $ at the time.  That is the better and more accurate answer than not knowing it was available for sale.  The NHL friggin' was publicly running the team at the time.

And running a business and I think had young kids. Believe it or not, even if you're a fan sometimes life gets in the way. I barely paid attention to the Sabres 2002-2005. I couldn't watch the games live, I lived in Maryland where no one cared about hockey. And I was just working and hanging out. The suggestion that "oh, he's not a *REAL* fan because he was busy 20 years ago" is kinda silly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MattPie said:

And running a business and I think had young kids. Believe it or not, even if you're a fan sometimes life gets in the way. I barely paid attention to the Sabres 2002-2005. I couldn't watch the games live, I lived in Maryland where no one cared about hockey. And I was just working and hanging out. The suggestion that "oh, he's not a *REAL* fan because he was busy 20 years ago" is kinda silly.

R.I.F.

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Where did I say he was not a fan.  My point was he had to know that the Sabres wer for sale back then, but he could not buy them since he did nto have the $.  Your reasons are also perfectly valid and part of the reaason he did not buy the team until he did.

13 minutes ago, MattPie said:

sometimes life gets in the way.

I was unplugged from the NHL for virtually all of the 1980s, and when I came back in the 90s I was living in Detroit and followed the Wings because I could.  It wasn't until I moved back to Texas in 1997 and finally got Center Ice to follow the Wings and started back in with Sabres then.  But even then, when the Sabres went to the Cup finals in 1999 I was more familiar with the Wings players than the Sabres.

12 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Where did I say he was not a fan.  My point was he had to know that the Sabres wer for sale back then, but he could not buy them since he did nto have the $.  Your reasons are also perfectly valid and part of the reaason he did not buy the team until he did.

Why would he lie about it?

36 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Sorry, replied to your post but that wasn't directed at you. Just the general "Terry isn't a fan because he doesn't know that Satan wore 18 for one year" mindset.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Sorry, replied to your post but that wasn't directed at you. Just the general "Terry isn't a fan because he doesn't know that Satan wore 18 for one year" mindset.

There's no mindset. It's me.

But yeah I'm a huge Bills fan. Wait... They were in the Super Bowl in the early 90s?! That is, like, soooo kewl. Did they win one?

Edited by PASabreFan

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So how does this make Jacobs a  powerful.  Does he get two votes for original 6?  A third vote for having a popular team?  

This is a nonsense conversation.  Jacobs might be influential, but not for these reasons.  

Oh I think it matters to the league. Original six matter. Small markets matter less. I don't think that's much of a controversial idea. Pretty much the same in every sport. 

If Jacobs announced he was moving the team to Quebec City, the league would go batshit crazy. If Pegula announced he was moving the team to Quebec it'd be "ya sure? well alright, good French rivalry, we can work with that". Not many people outside Buffalo area care what happens to Buffalo. Never have. (and neither of those things is happening obviously)

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I think it matters to the league. Original six matter. Small markets matter less. I don't think that's much of a controversial idea. Pretty much the same in every sport. 

If Jacobs announced he was moving the team to Quebec City, the league would go batshit crazy. If Pegula announced he was moving the team to Quebec it'd be "ya sure? well alright, good French rivalry, we can work with that". Not many people outside Buffalo area care what happens to Buffalo. Never have. (and neither of those things is happening obviously)

Honestly that specific case probably wouldn’t be allowed as US dollars > Canadian dollars as well as Quebec isn’t exactly some mega metropolis.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Jeremy Jacobs is the Chairman of the Board of Governors for the NHL and has been the primary representative of the Owners for every recent CBA Negotiation going back to the lockout. 

That makes him the most influential/powerful owner in the NHL 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Jeremy Jacobs is the Chairman of the Board of Governors for the NHL and has been the primary representative of the Owners for every recent CBA Negotiation going back to the lockout. 

And that is not solely because he owns an original 6 team, it’s more abut his business acumen and negotiation skills.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Honestly that specific case probably wouldn’t be allowed as US dollars > Canadian dollars as well as Quebec isn’t exactly some mega metropolis.

Well sure, it was a kind of ridiculous example and Boston's not going anywhere obviously but I thought it makes the point. The league WOULD let Buffalo be moved if that's what Pegula wanted. I don't think he does. 

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

You would think Buffalo wouldn't matter.  And yes Jacobs is arguably the most powerful/influential owner in the NHL.  I have no doubt that he being born in Buffalo changes how the NHL would otherwise view a small market like them.

Separating everything is part of him trying to sell team. He has told people he has lost 300 million, this was a couple of years ago so more now, since he purchased Sabres. There is not a path to breaking even in the long term right now. Even if rink is renovated or new one built he will not be able to raise prices high enough to pay for it. The lack of Corporations in Buffalo removes a huge revenue stream most other teams have. Buffalo has amongst the lowest per game revenue in the league. 

With Kim out of picture he might want to reduce his responsibilities to just the Bills and sell the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, MBD said:

You would think Buffalo wouldn't matter.  And yes Jacobs is arguably the most powerful/influential owner in the NHL.  I have no doubt that he being born in Buffalo changes how the NHL would otherwise view a small market like them.

The organization that replaced his company for concessions with a competitor will see no loyalty from Jacobs. If it will increase league revenue and bring in a franchise movement fee he will be OK with it.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

Separating everything is part of him trying to sell team. He has told people he has lost 300 million, this was a couple of years ago so more now, since he purchased Sabres. There is not a path to breaking even in the long term right now. Even if rink is renovated or new one built he will not be able to raise prices high enough to pay for it. The lack of Corporations in Buffalo removes a huge revenue stream most other teams have. Buffalo has amongst the lowest per game revenue in the league. 

With Kim out of picture he might want to reduce his responsibilities to just the Bills and sell the Sabres. 

If I acquired a restaurant and then proceeded to serve the worst spoiled and rotten food imaginable I'd probably lose a lot of money as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

34 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

The organization that replaced his company for concessions with a competitor will see no loyalty from Jacobs. If it will increase league revenue and bring in a franchise movement fee he will be OK with it.

Those are recent developments and you could be right.  But it doesn't matter now since the team won't be leaving Buffalo anytime soon.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.