What to do with Rousek this coming season and what is his long-term future with the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

I wrote in the lineup thread that I didn't think Rousek would make the team out of camp, but if Buffalo moves on from the 3 headed goalie monster, I now see a slot for him as the 13th forward.  I don't think he has anything left to prove in the AHL and at 24 it's time to transition to the NHL.

I also don't think he's needed in Rochester any longer.  They have vets Mersch, Jobst, Warren, and Richards, plus young vets like Biro, Murray, and Weissbach to go with a solid group of prospects in Kulich, Rosen, Neuchev, Kisakov, Novak, Cedarqvist, and Nadeau,  That's 14 quality forwards without Rousek.

Rousek proved he could play in the NHL even in a tiny sample size with 2 pts in 2 games and never looked out of place.  The Sabres also signed him to a multi-year deal, so it's clear that management has some faith in him.

This is Dobber's summary of Rousek.    https://dobberprospects.com/player/lukas-rousek/

An explosive speedster who uses his quickness all over the ice to pressure the opponent and provide puck support. Aggressive on the forecheck and not afraid to play in traffic

We know he has decent hands from his time in Rochester.  He also seems like a leader by example.  All effort all the time.  He sounds like an ideal 3/4th player.  He isn't the biggest guy (5'11"), but he doesn't play small.  I honestly see him as KO's replacement after this season and an injury fill-in up and down the lineup this season. 

Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wrote in the lineup thread that I didn't think Rousek would make the team out of camp, but if Buffalo moves on from the 3 headed goalie monster, I now see a slot for him as the 13th forward.  I don't think he has anything left to prove in the AHL and at 24 it's time to transition to the NHL.

I also don't think he's needed in Rochester any longer.  They have vets Mersch, Jobst, Warren, and Richards, plus young vets like Biro, Murray, and Weissbach to go with a solid group of prospects in Kulich, Rosen, Neuchev, Kisakov, Novak, Cedarqvist, and Nadeau,  That's 14 quality forwards without Rousek.

Rousek proved he could play in the NHL even in a tiny sample size with 2 pts in 2 games and never looked out of place.  The Sabres also signed him to a multi-year deal, so it's clear that management has some faith in him.

This is Dobber's summary of Rousek.    https://dobberprospects.com/player/lukas-rousek/

We know he has decent hands from his time in Rochester.  He also seems like a leader by example.  All effort all the time.  He sounds like an ideal 3/4th player.  He isn't the biggest guy (5'11"), but he doesn't play small.  I honestly see him as KO's replacement after this season and an injury fill-in up and down the lineup this season. 

Thoughts?

I think he battles Oloffson for a spot In the starting 12 if the forward group stands. Oloffson subs in if we’re In a scoring slump and stays in if he’s hot. Rousek If we’re getting lots of offense but are letting too many in. 

• Like (+1) 2

I like Rousek and definitely see him as a bottom-6 forward with a future home on the Sabres roster.  I don't think he has the shot or scoring ability that Oloffson has.  With Quinn out, the team needs to replace that scoring ability, so I don't see Rousek displacing Oloffson.  After Quinn returns and regains his form, Rousek's grit and two-way play may be more needed on the ice than Oloffson's scoring.  The previous comment makes a lot of sense - I could see Oloffson staying in the lineup, but if he goes cold, and/or the offense (outside of Oloffson) is producing and defense is lacking, Rousek could get that ice time.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As long as the decision is based on whether he improves the team's chances of winning, I don't care. Just don't give me the old, the kids have to play. Barf.

If he can play a two-way game and contribute on the scoresheet a bit, plus help the PK (a weakness from last season), then he has a shot to supplant VO.  

Prefer we sign a vet like Tatar for this role but I think they want to see what their own can do before making such a move.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If he can play a two-way game and contribute on the scoresheet a bit, plus help the PK (a weakness from last season), then he has a shot to supplant VO.  

Prefer we sign a vet like Tatar for this role but I think they want to see what their own can do before making such a move.  

The last sentence is a problem if true.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You don't think they'll carry 13 forwards?

Probably, but the question is...he is isn't a top 12 guy, do you still want him playing in Roch getting minutes?  I always think the 13th guy should be a vet that can 'step in' when needed (Like Hinestroze) or a very VERY young guy getting his first look (18 or 19 year old first rounders who can get something from 'just being around the team in practice').  

Maybe as the 13th guy you keep him around but he routinely subs in on the 4th line. Every couple games someone comes out of that line and you put him in (I guess you'd have to trust him to play multiple positions for that though).

Edited by mjd1001

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t see a huge need for a soft as puppy ***** 15 goal scoring veteran.  Rousek could easily get there if given the ice time.  Rousak isn’t a kid.  He’s 24 and put in his time. 

I’m not sure if you are calling Tatar “soft as a puppy,” but he’s not. He has a little bit of bite to his game and is sound defensively besides being a pretty good scoring winger.

I like Rousek and see him contributing but Tater is a pretty big upgrade.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Rousek makes the team out of camp. 

I think the only way this doesn't happen is if he is dramatically outplayed by one of the big 3 forward prospects (Kulich Savoie, Benson).

Still, this was pretty interesting (from elite prospects):

• Matt Savoie 179 lbs
  • Jiri Kulich 179 lbs
  • Isak Rosen 174 lbs
  • Lukas Rousek 172 lbs
  • Zach Benson 170 lbs

I mean, it's hard to trust weights on the internet, but that raised my eyebrows. I thought Benson and Rosen were the pipsqueaks, with Savoie only slightly bigger and Kulich and Rousek far more physically ready.

Maybe not..

Edited by dudacek

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Odds are that two goalies will be on the NHL roster and third goalie will be sent down to Rochester. If the goalie sent down gets picked up, then so be it. 

That is why they signed Toker.   They will lose Comrie or UPL when if they cut either of them.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think the only way this doesn't happen is if he is dramatically outplayed by one of the big 3 forward prospects (Kulich Savoie, Benson).

Still, this was pretty interesting (from elite prospects):

• Matt Savoie 179 lbs
  • Jiri Kulich 179 lbs
  • Isak Rosen 174 lbs
  • Lukas Rousek 172 lbs
  • Zach Benson 170 lbs

I mean, it's hard to trust weights on the internet, but that raised my eyebrows. I thought Benson and Rosen were the pipsqueaks, with Savoie only slightly bigger and Kulich and Rousek far more physically ready.

Maybe not..

Savoie is small (short) but he has a fireplug type body, strong lower body, and he will play in the low to mid 180's. 

Benson will be back in the OHL, his body will develop more in the next year.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Savioe is small (short) but he has a fireplug type body, string lower body, and he will play in the low to mid 180's. 

Benson will be back in the OHL, his body will develop more in the next year.  

I've never been worried about Savoie's size long-term: he's got a Danny Briere build: that squat, low centre of gravity combined with his burst is a great hockey player's build when combined with his competitiveness.

My context was more about filling out the roster this year: the weight numbers right now aren't seemingly giving any of them an advantage.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

That is why the signed Toker.   They will lose Comrie or UPL when if they cut either of them.  

Moreso with Comrie than UPL, if he is sent down I don't think he will be picked up by another club. I think UPL would be more appealing to another team. At the end of the preseason most teams are making tough decisions on their final cuts. As I said in the prior post, if one of the two is picked up you just move on deal with it. 

16 hours ago, Marvin said:

A few of us don't because of the 3-headed monster in goal.

I doubt they’ll keep both Comrie and UPL if Levi has a solid or better camp.  The plan is Levi is the starter and then let the chips fall where they may for the backup.  Loser of the camp battle for the backup job gets waived or traded.  They brought back Houser and more importantly Tokarski as insurance.

If Levi struggles in camp, management could send him down and allow Comrie and UPL to start the season.  This is admittedly a very unlikely scenario.  Levi would have to be awful for this to happen and I sincerely doubt Levi would let it happen.

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Rousek makes the team out of camp. 

The more I think about it, and after looking at the forward depth in Rochester, I think Rousek is likely to make the Sabres out of camp.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I doubt they’ll keep both Comrie and UPL if Levi has a solid or better camp.  The plan is Levi is the starter and then let the chips fall where they may for the backup.  Loser of the camp battle for the backup job gets waived or traded.  They brought back Houser and more importantly Tokarski as insurance.

If Levi struggles in camp, management could send him down and allow Comrie and UPL to start the season.  This is admittedly a very unlikely scenario.  Levi would have to be awful for this to happen and I sincerely doubt Levi would let it happen.

Based on how frugally GMKA husbands his resources, I can not see him risking losing one of the goaltenders or one of the top 8 defencemen before the season.  JMO.  Feel free to call me out if I am wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.