OT: More than Disturbing UAP testimony

Scottysabres

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Oh, those pesky poor. They just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, don't they?

Sorry to continue but this is a mischaracterization of what I was trying to say and I realize I wasn't clear so I'd like to clarify. When speaking about the American economy, my argument is we've created a corrupted system wherein we artificially limit the ability of people to do the proverbial bootstrap pulling. My opinion is that it's absurd we allow barriers to market entry and I used the simple examples of lemonade stands and eyebrow threading. Those barriers to entry are contrary to a free market exchange of goods and ideas. As for bootstrap pulling, if I don't expect people to spend $70,000 in permits and fees in order to open a lemonade stand, it's hard for me to think the issue with poor people in the west is their work ethic.

To be clear, I don't hate poor people any more than I hate wealthy people. I believe people should be judged independent of their means and the fact society on the whole no longer believes that to be true is a sign of how things have evolved in an unhealthy manner. I fully recognize the system is broken. I believe the solution isn't greater authoritarianism because, historically, that doesn't benefit the mass of people. That authoritarianism is ultimately corrupted for personal gain by those in power.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What if their snack is calves?

We did.

I and my family saw one around dusk on a hot summer night in 1980. We lived below a cemetery. I spotted a triangle of lights and heard a low humming sound about 200 yards up the hill. We went into the backyard, and to my mom's frantic protestation, my World War II combat scout father walked up the road alone to find out for sure. He didn't come back for a good while, and it was almost dark. We were scared. Were the lights moving now? Was the sound more high pitched? My dad emerged from the darkness and flatly announced, "It's a dump truck. They're working on the road."

Did he have an anal probe?

13 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

As for bootstrap pulling, if I don't expect people to spend $70,000 in permits and fees in order to open a lemonade stand, it's hard for me to think the issue with poor people in the west is their work ethic.

This reveals the disingenuity (if your prior manifesto didn't).

Edited by Eleven

14 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Sorry to continue but this is a mischaracterization of what I was trying to say and I realize I wasn't clear so I'd like to clarify. When speaking about the American economy, my argument is we've created a corrupted system wherein we artificially limit the ability of people to do the proverbial bootstrap pulling. My opinion is that it's absurd we allow barriers to market entry and I used the simple examples of lemonade stands and eyebrow threading. Those barriers to entry are contrary to a free market exchange of goods and ideas. As for bootstrap pulling, if I don't expect people to spend $70,000 in permits and fees in order to open a lemonade stand, it's hard for me to think the issue with poor people in the west is their work ethic.

To be clear, I don't hate poor people any more than I hate wealthy people. I believe people should be judged independent of their means and the fact society on the whole no longer believes that to be true is a sign of how things have evolved in an unhealthy manner. I fully recognize the system is broken. I believe the solution isn't greater authoritarianism because, historically, that doesn't benefit the mass of people. That authoritarianism is ultimately corrupted for personal gain by those in power.

Hate to break it to you, but small businesses are booming. Setting records, actually.

And I saw something out over the ocean one time that I can't explain. We were near an Air Force base, though.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Back to the topic. Does anyone here think they have ever seen a UFO?

My 80yr old father sweats he did as a teen near Watertown, NY.  He described a white light ball that came in his direction at a fantastic speed, stopped, hovered, and sped away at a fantastic speed.

edit- speeling

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Oh, those pesky poor. They just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, don't they? If I would have written a manifesto like this arguing the opposite, I'm pretty sure I would have been warned to move it to the club. And a thumbs up, to boot. Good stuff.

Back to the topic. Does anyone here think they have ever seen a UFO?

Did you complain about the post (which preceded the one you complained about) decrying capitalism?  Did that one get moved?  Was there any sinister moderator behavior underlying the failure to move that one?

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Did you complain about the post (which preceded the one you complained about) decrying capitalism?  Did that one get moved?  Was there any sinister moderator behavior underlying the failure to move that one?

We know your biases, bud.  It's way, WAAAYYY too late to try to conceal them through very transparent questions like this.

Ah-gain, as for years, I ask you to step away.  

1 minute ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

And when will you step away from banning people from the political club?

I will never accept people who post unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, if that is what you are referring to.  Not welcome.  Whether it's the Moon landing, the 2020 election, COVID, the Templars, or the Jews or the whatever, I'm not having it there.  Ya dig?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

There's so much I want to say about this but it's probably not the right place for it.

I'll just say that I think we can do better than Anglo-American style unregulated capitalism.  Rhine capitalism and distributism are interesting to me.

Henry Ford knew that he needed to pay his line workers enough that they could afford a new car.  I'm not so sure that's the way anymore.

Oh, and if the aliens ever find us, we're dinner.

I've never heard of Rhine capitalism. I found some interesting reading when I googled it. Thank you for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

There's so much I want to say about this but it's probably not the right place for it.

I'll just say that I think we can do better than Anglo-American style unregulated capitalism.  Rhine capitalism and distributism are interesting to me.

Henry Ford knew that he needed to pay his line workers enough that they could afford a new car.  I'm not so sure that's the way anymore.

Oh, and if the aliens ever find us, we're dinner.

Where do I go to get some of this unregulated capitalism?  There are 2 million federal employees, and tens of thousands of them work at the umpteen regulatory agencies.  Lots of occupational licensing that are barriers to entry.  Lots of jobs only open to union membership.  More stuff in our economy is regulated than not. 

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I will never accept people who post unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, if that is what you are referring to.  Not welcome.  Whether it's the Moon landing, the 2020 election, COVID, the Templars, or the Jews or the whatever, I'm not having it there.  Ya dig?

What, specifically, are you talking about?

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's all bunk.   

You're telling me these supremely advanced beings can build anti-gravity craft, travel through wormholes or from other dimensions, but they crash in our atmosphere?

This kinda stuff is gaining traction now for two reasons.

1. The rise of social media which promotes this type of garbage to keep the population at large distracted.

2. At no point in our history has the minority had a larger voice than they do now.

That said are there skunk works type military programs testing advanced tech? Of course.

In this day and age where everyone has a high res recording device in their pocket, there is still no verifiable proof.

I agree with some of your comments related to social media and all the Joe Blows out there spreading things.

However, there is the recently released (or leaked) US Navy warship and US Navy F/A-18 target video that shows a target detection and track that made an  impossible (for us today) maneuver and then disappeared.   Our military has more advanced sensors today than ever before.  They have the ability to blend target data taken from multiple on-board sensors (such as Radar and IR) while minimizing their own chances of being detected.    In addition, they now have orders of magnitude better than ever before on-board signal and data processing to look at the target data real time.   Pilot workload can be an issue so they have the ability ability to data-link and share target data quickly with other platforms, ships, or a ground site to further and better exploit this images and detections.  Bottom line is they can "see" more and see it better.   100% verifiable proof is made on controlled test ranges, but what has been recently seen is intriguing.  Do we trust our technology and the people operating it?  

I expect that our military will see things today that they have not seen before, and I expect our government to keep quiet on most of it.   

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

What, specifically, are you talking about?

It was a response to your question, so what, specifically, are you talking about?  Did you post some weird conspiracy theory that got you kicked out?  

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with some of your comments related to social media and all the Joe Blows out there spreading things.

However, there is the recently released (or leaked) US Navy warship and US Navy F/A-18 target video that shows a target detection and track that made an  impossible (for us today) maneuver and then disappeared.   Our military has more advanced sensors today than ever before.  They have the ability to blend target data taken from multiple on-board sensors (such as Radar and IR) while minimizing their own chances of being detected.    In addition, they now have orders of magnitude better than ever before on-board signal and data processing to look at the target data real time.   Pilot workload can be an issue so they have the ability ability to data-link and share target data quickly with other platforms, ships, or a ground site to further and better exploit this images and detections.  Bottom line is they can "see" more and see it better.   100% verifiable proof is made on controlled test ranges, but what has been recently seen is intriguing.  Do we trust our technology and the people operating it?  

I expect that our military will see things today that they have not seen before, and I expect our government to keep quiet on most of it.   

US Navy, flight crew, 88 - 92, these pilots are testifying, and having served with many of them, living amongst them as an enlisted, I can say without hesitation they are stead fast individuals for the most part. If they're giving verbal testimony to what they're witnessing, have witnessed, just a suggestion, but I'd pay attention.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

You removed me.  Why?

Again:  Did you post some weird conspiracy theory that got you kicked out?  

41 minutes ago, Hank said:

I've never heard of Rhine capitalism. I found some interesting reading when I googled it. Thank you for that. 

I'm far from certain that it's the answer, but it is interesting.

3 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Again:  You removed me.  Do you not know why?

I'm sure I KNEW, which is different than presently KNOWING.  It likely was years ago; you likely deserved it.  Again, answer my question, please.  Most of the people removed were removed because of conspiracy theories--did you post one?

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm sure I KNEW, which is different than presently KNOWING.  It likely was years ago; you likely deserved it.  Again, answer my question, please.  Most of the people removed were removed because of conspiracy theories--did you post one?

No.  I posted a link to a newspaper article.  There was some discussion.  You then threw me out.  The thread was deleted.  What are these conspiracy theories you speak of?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.