OT: Is it time for a new pizza thread?

JoeSchmoe

LaPaloma's in Alden IMHO was the best.  The crust was absolutely perfect.  Light, airy, with a crsipness at the bottom and slightly sweet.  Complemented the sauce and cheese so well.  If they used cup and char pepperoni the whole thing would've been perfect.

Santino's in Elma is excellent too.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Never been a fan of the thick crust style.   But not a lot of good pizza places around here either.   

Pizza hut / Boston pizza / Kebab and pizza places /  We got one and those they sell from a vending machine nearby beats all of those.

image.gif.c32a44a54b4fc264feef00e3b9c20959.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Next time I will take a pic of that pizza from the vending machine, I would have expected it to be bad, but its better than most still.  Gets prepared before in the pizza place and comes out heated or cold.    

Not sure why, but your post reminded of this gem.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure why, but your post reminded of this gem.

Loved that show, but seriously, that pizza vending machine gets filled everyday - Doubt any pizza lasts longer than 2 days in there, its popular around here, especially when working nights and nothing is open 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Loved that show, but seriously, that pizza vending machine gets filled everyday - Doubt any pizza lasts longer than 2 days in there, its popular around here, especially when working nights and nothing is open 🙂

Fair enough.

But do Belgians do weird things to their pizza like the French do?  By weird things mean stuff like putting a sunny side up egg on top of a pizza.  If the answer is 'yes,' will likely take the recommendation for vending machine pizza with a grain of salt.  😉

🍻

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Fair enough.

But do Belgians do weird things to their pizza like the French do?  By weird things mean stuff like putting a sunny side up egg on top of a pizza.  If the answer is 'yes,' will likely take the recommendation for vending machine pizza with a grain of salt.  😉

🍻

Nah we don't put eggs on our pizza , never even heard of the French doing it.   I do like pineapple on pizza though 🙂

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's possible I've never had good pizza. At least not this fantasy pizza yall are speaking of. There's a local place here that I think has top notch garlic pizza. Other than that I survive on the chains. I'm high on Domino's pan pizza right now. I've recounted several times that I had La Nova pizza in Buffalo a few years ago and it was a sickly mess. I don't hear that name bandied about much tho. I do fantasize about how good some of this zza must be.

Did you have LaNova at the arena?  I was in Buffalo a few weeks ago, and brought my son to LaNova (west side location).  We had a variety of slices for lunch.  Three cheese, sweet peppers and Chicken.  Pepperoni with sesame seed crust.  It definitely did not disappoint. His favorite of the trip.  That was my go to when I lived on Elmwood some 30+ years ago.  That and Mister Pizza.  I had a Mister in 2022 and not as good as I recall.  My parents live in Kenmore so they are loyal to Bob John’s La Hacienda on Hertel.  All of the above is better than what I can get in Southern California. Jealous of all these options. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Did you have LaNova at the arena?  I was in Buffalo a few weeks ago, and brought my son to LaNova (west side location).  We had a variety of slices for lunch.  Three cheese, sweet peppers and Chicken.  Pepperoni with sesame seed crust.  It definitely did not disappoint. His favorite of the trip.  That was my go to when I lived on Elmwood some 30+ years ago.  That and Mister Pizza.  I had a Mister in 2022 and not as good as I recall.  My parents live in Kenmore so they are loyal to Bob John’s La Hacienda on Hertel.  All of the above is better than what I can get in Southern California. Jealous of all these options. 

It was up in Williamsville.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Pizza is a WNY favorite... like wings and beef on weck. If you google buffalo style pizza, it's amazing the national reviews you get. I remember about 10 years ago Grand Island was having a 'Taste of the Island'... as my brother who still lives there explained to the rest of us via IM chat as he was going.... my other brother injected, "Oh great, 7 restaurants serving pizza." Hah!!! Then snarky brother remarked Brick Oven Pizza doesn't have a brick oven, it's the brick of the 70's style McDonalds that they took over!!! Although Pizza Amore on the Island was quite good the only time I had it about 11 years ago...

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was up in Williamsville.

The only decent La Nova pizza is at the original store on the lower west side. And even that is hit or miss.

There’s so much fantastic pizza in Erie/Niagara, PA. It’s a shame you haven’t branched out to get a cheese and pep from any of Lovejoy (original store only, afaik), Carbone, Picasso, Blasdell, Bella, Di Paulo (Tonawanda), or La Hacienda (Tonawanda). That’s just a list off the cuff.

Dominoes? eesh. Live a little!

9 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

Although Pizza Amore on the Island was quite good the only time I had it about 11 years ago...

I think that must be the same outfit that kills it at the Erie Co. Fair, is a solid pre show meal at Artpark. They’re a food truck operator now afaik. Maybe they still have a store? Not “Buffalo pizza,” but still an excellent product.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a good article on what makes Buffalo style pizza.  A couple of summaries from the article:

Buffalo-style pizza is typically a cup-and-char pepperoni pizza, one with a slim, sometimes non-existent crust coastline with ingredients out to, and sometimes even over the edges, a thick, airy undercarriage with little to no structural integrity that’s topped by a sweet sauce and enough cheese to nearly always guarantee a cheese pull. If you were going to use other regional styles to describe it, I’d say it’s a Detroit amount of cheese with a Motor City trim, a Maine undercarriage (think Portland’s Micucci’s or Slab), and a New York City soul.

It has to have cup-and-char pepperoni with grease in the center of each cup and blackening on the top along the rim. A hefty portion of cheese with good browning (some places make it super-dark). Buffalo-style is traditionally an overdone pie, and ordering ‘well-done’ on top of that is common. The sauce is rich, ladled generously, and a little sweet. It has a thick dough that fluffs up consistently to the edge of a crispy, buttery crust that’s typically charred and caked in excess with a super intense, oven-dried sauce.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's possible I've never had good pizza. At least not this fantasy pizza yall are speaking of. There's a local place here that I think has top notch garlic pizza. Other than that I survive on the chains. I'm high on Domino's pan pizza right now. I've recounted several times that I had La Nova pizza in Buffalo a few years ago and it was a sickly mess. I don't hear that name bandied about much tho. I do fantasize about how good some of this zza must be.

If you make it Allegany way, Mangia has a good pie, it's a thinner NYC style but is tasty. But other than that, there's not much but Domino's and Little Ceasars 

5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Tried Gangster's back in the Sammy's days and liked it... Just not as much as Sammy's. It might be time for another visit.

Never tried Buzzy's though. That might be the next place to go.

Sammy’s was great back when I was in high school and college (not telling how many decades ago that was😀). They’ve ***** the bed long since.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think that must be the same outfit that kills it at the Erie Co. Fair, is a solid pre show meal at Artpark. They’re a food truck operator now afaik. Maybe they still have a store? Not “Buffalo pizza,” but still an excellent product.

They actually started as strictly a food truck but have had their brick and mortar store for awhile 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

Niagara Falls pizza back in the day was totally different from Buffalo pizza. Niagara had a thinner crust (albeit cup and char), more sauce, less cheese and it was spicier than Buffalo pizza, I'm aging myself but Hacienda on Pine, St. Angelo's on the Island where typical of that pizza and boy it was good...

Great call on LaHacienda. When I was growing up it’s pizza was the best around and it wasn’t particularly close.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Nah we don't put eggs on our pizza , never even heard of the French doing it.   I do like pineapple on pizza though 🙂

Was going to give the post the "thumbs up" but as a respectable (former) Buffalonian cannot give the "thumbs up" if it might be misconstrued as advocating for pineapple on pizza.  😉

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.