Tage Thompson: Top 10 Center

LGR4GM

Tage Thompson is a top 10 NHL center. Prove me wrong (seriously would love a devil's advocate because summer and idk maybe I need a reality check?) Honestly I just wanted a thread to talk about how wrong I was about Tage Thompson. Never have I witnessed a JAG turn into such a force so quickly than with Tage F-ING Thompson, dude is a wagon. 

• Like (+1) 3

Centers I consider definitely above him: McD, MacKinnon, Matthews, Draisaitl

Centers I consider as probably above him: Hughes, Crosby, Pettersson

Centers I'm not sure/roughly equal: Point

Centers a tick behind Tage: Stutzle, Hintz, Hischier, Barkov, Stamkos, Aho, Kopitar

Am I missing anyone crazy? I think he's comfortably in the top 10.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If we're talking all-around game I'd put him top 15, just outside top 10..

my top 10 in no specific order

• McDavid
  • Crosby
  • Matthews
  • Barkov
  • MacKinnon
  • Malkin
  • Bergeron
  • Draisaitl
  • Aho
  • Hughes

...I'd put Zibanejad in there as well, just above Tage.   

• dislike 2

He's in that wheelhouse for sure

Mcdavid, Matthews, Draisaitl, Mackinnon probably make up the top 4.  

After that you have Point, Hughes, Tage, Crosby in some order.  If bergeron plays hes in the top 10.  Then I'd put Petterson, Eichel, Malkin, Zibanejad, Stamkos (and probably some others like Tavares Larkin and Hischier) in that next tier.  

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

• McDavid
  • Crosby
  • Matthews
  • Barkov
  • MacKinnon
  • Malkin
  • Bergeron
  • Draisaitl
  • Aho
  • Hughes

I can't argue much there.  Aho always scores on us and he's one that i forgot.  

• Like (+1) 1

Probably a lot of overlap with the first video but...

24 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I can't argue much there.  Aho always scores on us and he's one that i forgot.  

I remember when Skinner was the one who always scored against us.  That's why I was so happy we got him.

These things are constantly shifting, but there is no doubt that last year he was a top 10 centre.

Matthews was not better than him last year, neither was Crosby. Injury was the only thing making the case for Hughes and Pettersson.

Stamkos, Malkin and Bergeron aren’t the players they were.

There are smarter centres, but there is no one outside of McDavid and maybe MacKinnon who better combines stickhandling and shooting, or creates more a more challenging physical matchup for the defence.

He needs to repeat to cement his status, but I have no problem putting him in my top 10.

38 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Centers a tick behind Tage: Stutzle, Hintz, Hischier, Barkov, Stamkos, Aho, Kopitar

41 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

• McDavid
  • Crosby
  • Matthews
  • Barkov
  • MacKinnon
  • Malkin
  • Bergeron
  • Draisaitl
  • Aho
  • Hughes

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

There’s one guy you missed above a few on that list, ya.

- - - 

Tage certainly arguably had a top 10 offensive season for a centre last year, finished 8th for centres in points. Whether or not I’d have the season itself top 10 overall depends on your analysis of his 2 way game I suppose, which isn’t his best attribute. Is he a better player than Crosby? No, I’d definitely have Sid ahead despite Sid notching 1 point less. Did he have a better season than Bergeron? I don’t know. His season was right around the top 10 C line and that’s a pretty cool thing.

I don’t have him as a top 10 C league wide yet. Need to see it over a body of several years before I’d say that, for example I’d still have Matthews ahead and Tage finished with more points. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

When it's all said and done I believe he'll be second In sabres history in points.

7 and a half more seasons at 82 points per season to catch Dave. A tall order. Though, he’s a tall guy. 

I do like that you save up all your positivity into several bold takes

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

These things are constantly shifting, but there is no doubt that last year he was a top 10 centre.

Matthews was not better than him last year, neither was Crosby. Injury was the only thing making the case for Hughes and Pettersson.

Stamkos, Malkin and Bergeron aren’t the players they were.

There are smarter centres, but there is no one outside of McDavid and maybe MacKinnon who better combines stickhandling and shooting, or creates more a more challenging physical matchup for the defence.

He needs to repeat to cement his status, but I have no problem putting him in my top 10.

Crosby was better

Not very close either imo. Crosby might still be the best player in hockey 

It’s far too much of a points based take. Even points, Crosby outscored Tage at even strength last year by 7. No one is taking Tage before Sid freaking Crosby lining up to win a game, let’s be honest with ourselves. Tage was a PP fiend: 20 pp goals to Sid’s 9. Everywhere else Crosby was better, or in a few cases ~ tied 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

Just wondering if the post is considering the top centers RIGHT NOW, or the MOST VALUABLE to have on a roster.  I'd argue that Thompson is a more valuable asset than many of the guys on the list because he is younger and is still an ascending player.  A few of these guys are older and on the decline, even though they may be Hall of Fame caliber players.  Further, Adams did a great job locking Thompson in long-term on a reasonable deal.  I have not looked up the salaries of all of the other guys mentioned, but I would guess that Thompson does and/or will cost less than several of them.  As a side note, although Thompson's play dropped off late in the season, it is widely known that he was injured and trying to play through it.

• Agree 1

Not yet, but it's close.  He needs another top-flight season to be considered among the true elite, but it can be argued that he is in the top 10 or very close depending on how you might view Hughes and Point

Over the last two years, TNT is 12 in points by an NHL center (according to NHL.com), and 4th in goals.  Thompson is 14th in pts per game.

MCJesus, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Matthews and Stamkos are the top 5 in points.  Only McDavid, Draisaitl and Matthews have more goals.  

My top 15 right now

McDavid

MacKinnon

Draisaitl

Matthews

Crosby

Stamkos

Barkov

Petterson

Hughes

Zibanejad

Point

Thompson

Miller

RNH

Robert Thomas

(Bergeron not included because status unknown)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Umm, the guy that used to have Thompson's job before Tuch and Krebs became Sabres?

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s one guy you missed above a few on that list, ya.

- - - 

Tage certainly arguably had a top 10 offensive season for a centre last year, finished 8th for centres in points. Whether or not I’d have the season itself top 10 overall depends on your analysis of his 2 way game I suppose, which isn’t his best attribute. Is he a better player than Crosby? No, I’d definitely have Sid ahead despite Sid notching 1 point less. Did he have a better season than Bergeron? I don’t know. His season was right around the top 10 C line and that’s a pretty cool thing.

I don’t have him as a top 10 C league wide yet. Need to see it over a body of several years before I’d say that, for example I’d still have Matthews ahead and Tage finished with more points. 

I left Bergeron off because I'm not sure if he's playing yet 

And my list FTR takes track record and trajectory into account. So I am not sure I'd put Bergeron on even if he came back because I don't anticipate him being a better player than Tage in the 23-24 season, and that's why I give matthews benefit of doubt even tho Tage was better last year

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, the guy that used to have Thompson's job before Tuch and Krebs became Sabres?

All those guys are better than post-surgery jack, but he leads the next tier 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

And my list FTR takes track record and trajectory into account. So I am not sure I'd put Bergeron on even if he came back because I don't anticipate him being a better player than Tage in the 23-24 season, and that's why I give matthews benefit of doubt even tho Tage was better last year

Dude Eichel totally Son’ed Barkov in the final. I know it’s not just about one series but with that coming out party Eichel is definitively better than Barkov, and he’s not the only guy there he eclipses 

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Eichel has never had that huge breakout season.  Talent wise certainly.

Eichel, as a Sabre, finished *higher than Thompson league wide for points*.... twice 

Eichel had *two* seasons better offensively, league wide relative, than Thompson did

Jack has finishes of 11th and 10th place in league scoring, Tage’s highest finish was 15th

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dude Eichel totally Son’ed Barkov in the final. I know it’s not just about one series but with that coming out party Eichel is definitively better than Barkov, and he’s not the only guy there he eclipses 

Barkov played like ***** because he came back from injury to play in playoffs no? I always had Barkov above eichel BEFORE eichel's game breaking talent faded, so I will keep him there now. Jack was awesome in the finals no doubt 

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Interesting.  Would have Eichel higher than 18th, but not sure exactly where between 8 and 17.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Eichel has never had that huge breakout season.  Talent wise certainly.

In Buffalo, only because of injuries.  That year he got 82 points in 77 games he was well on pace to end up over 100 points through 50 some games but then played through a leg injury that significantly hurt his productivity.  (Had 5 points in the 12 games surrounding him being out a few in mid-March.)

Want to say he was battling through injuries again that season that got cut short by Covid, but not recalling ottomh what the injuries were that he was dealing with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.