Starting goaltending: what do we really think about the situation in the crease?

dudacek

Goaltending  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Levi is capable of delivering 50+ games of good goaltending this year?

2. 2. Do you want to add a goalie capable of delivering 50+ games of good goaltending this year?

3. 3. How much are you willing to to invest in a trade for a new starting-calibre goalkeeper?

• Very little: a 3rd round or less equivalent value
    • A bit: maybe a 2nd-rounder
    • A fair amount: next year’s 1st and 2nd or prospects/players of similar value
    • A lot: for the right guy, a package that includes one of our top 3 prospects

38 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I mentioned in an early thread I'd move Comrie, a Russian prospect and a 2nd or 3rd to get it done. 

Moving comrie instead of UPL doesn’t work. The Sabres don’t want to carry 3 goalies on the roster and UPL would be claimed if we sent him to rochester. Comrie probably isn’t claimed, and if he is, who really cares?

2 hours ago, Curt said:

The problem with Gibson is that the simply hasn’t beeen a good goalie the past few years.  He has been outplayed by his backups 3 of the past 4 years.

I wouldn’t do a Hellybuck trade because of his contract situation.

If we are going to trade significant assets to acquire a goalie, why not go for Carter Hart who could form a solid duo with Levi, or flat out become the legit starter, for several seasons?

Yep - I think hart or fleury or that goalie whos name starts with a D makes the most sense. All three could come in and be a tandem with Levi. Gibson and Helly would be 1A to Levi’s 1B and I don’t KA wants that

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the kids didn't have to worry about their parents having their ***** together enough to pay the rent? So that kids could be kids?

Will we ever get to be fans again instead of basement GMs?

One of the fun aspects of being a fan is play-acting as a GM. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the normal behavior that fans in all sports have. 

18 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yep - I think hart or fleury or that goalie whos name starts with a D makes the most sense. All three could come in and be a tandem with Levi. Gibson and Helly would be 1A to Levi’s 1B and I don’t KA wants that

Gibson sucks. I'll bet 50 charity dollars Levi has a better sv% this year. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the kids didn't have to worry about their parents having their ***** together enough to pay the rent? So that kids could be kids?

Will we ever get to be fans again instead of basement GMs?

Do you think there is a single message board for any pro sports team anywhere in which the offseason isn't taken up by armchair GM talk?

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

If we are in the race at the deadline are we going to need him?

Seems to me that means status quo worked.

“In the race” does not assume we are in the top 8 teams, just within reasonable striking distance.  We were in the race last season and missed.

scenario 1.  Levi is fine. UPL and Comrie are not.  Adding an upgrade to UPL/Comrie takes some of the load off Levi better assuring that we don’t wear him out before we get in.  And gives us a measure of insurance if Levi falters.

scenario 2. Levi is not ready for prime time or is inconsistent and we have an exact repeat of last seasons overall goalie situation.  Adding an upgrade to UPL/Comrie puts us in a better situation to avoid missing the playoffs by 1 win.

My gut is telling me that a move at the deadline for a goalie upgrade at rental prices is more likely than getting a goalie in this offseason.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Do you think there is a single message board for any pro sports team anywhere in which the offseason isn't taken up by armchair GM talk?

For John too: not to this extent.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He prefers playing armchair owner.

This is fair. It kept me going for awhile, as did Rick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’ve come to realize there is one factor we’ve been overlooking in the goalie conversation:

The value of the acquired goalie at the end of next year or the year after.

Hart is in the final season of his contract next year, then he becomes an RFA with arbitration rights.

If we traded Rosen and next year’s first for Hart to split the crease a number of things could happen:

• Hart outplays Levi and we have to decide whether to re-sign Hart as our #1 or trade him, likely for a similar or better return for what we paid.
  • Levi outplays Hart and we have to decide whether to re-sign Hart as our #2 or trade him, likely for a similar or worse return for what we paid.
  • Levi and Hart split the duties as most hope and we flip Hart for a similar value than what we paid.

Yes, a 4th option is Hart sucks and we have no chance to recoup value. But that is the same risk with any goalie we acquire.   It is less likely with Hart than many others. And if it happens, we can qualify Hart and try to rehabilitate his value.

Basically, the plan would provide a good safety net for Levi while mitigating loss of asset value in a way you couldn’t with pending UFA Hellebuyck.

You could apply a similar thought process to the other options and you might find one you like better.

I like Helle for one year but this is a good compromise. Hart is young enough to be the long term goalie if he improves and Levi doesn’t.

The Sabres have assets to make this work and could bag a reliable C like Laughton if they move enough to the Flyers.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is fair. It kept me going for awhile, as did Rick.

You don't need gimmicks or announcers to keep you going any more.  This team will give you what you need.  That Rangers-Sabres game I went to in April when they were still alive for the playoffs and tied it in the 3rd and then won in the SO was thrilling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hellebuyck or bust! Just go get him. Insulate Levi and the entire team. This team develops much better with a Hellebuyck/Levi tandem every night. I don’t even know what the market is for him right now, no one has cap. Workout a fair deal. 

Not with the contract he wants 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’ve come to realize there is one factor we’ve been overlooking in the goalie conversation:

The value of the acquired goalie at the end of next year or the year after.

Hart is in the final season of his contract next year, then he becomes an RFA with arbitration rights.

If we traded Rosen and next year’s first for Hart to split the crease a number of things could happen:

• Hart outplays Levi and we have to decide whether to re-sign Hart as our #1 or trade him, likely for a similar or better return for what we paid.
  • Levi outplays Hart and we have to decide whether to re-sign Hart as our #2 or trade him, likely for a similar or worse return for what we paid.
  • Levi and Hart split the duties as most hope and we flip Hart for a similar value than what we paid.

Yes, a 4th option is Hart sucks and we have no chance to recoup value. But that is the same risk with any goalie we acquire.   It is less likely with Hart than many others. And if it happens, we can qualify Hart and try to rehabilitate his value.

Basically, the plan would provide a good safety net for Levi while mitigating loss of asset value in a way you couldn’t with pending UFA Hellebuyck.

You could apply a similar thought process to the other options and you might find one you like better.

I'm advocating for Hart as think he our best option at this point based on current contract and ability to keep or kick dependent on performance of him and/or Levi. That said it's probably a waste of time as don't expect Adams to trade for him.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is an article by Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News listing the goalie options. After he goes through most of the options it becomes apparent that for a variety of reasons (some of them due to contracts) that taking a status quo approach is the best approach for now. And in this article it becomes clear that the GM is invested in Levi as his primary goalie. The young goalie's end of season play solidified his standing with the GM. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/columns/sabres-goaltending-mike-harrington/article_aa571c14-19a6-11ee-9cdb-4319459758a2.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Thorny, You are irrepressible and consistent. You are going to wear out that downward pointing thumb! 🍺

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Which goaltender that moved or signed did you want?

The first guy i wanted was Joonas Korpisalo, we were never giving a goalie a 5 year deal so understand that move but you're telling me we couldn't of given like 3.5M per year to either Raanta or Fredrick Anderson? I think it's a missed opportunity imo.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The average team thread on this sight gets about 50 texts. Buffalos one always gets hundreds/thousands lately.  Buffalo fans are different

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm advocating for Hart as think he our best option at this point based on current contract and ability to keep or kick dependent on performance of him and/or Levi. That said it's probably a waste of time as don't expect Adams to trade for him.

I think this is the trade to make if Adams is willing to pay the price. Grab konecny too, will be pricey 

I am nervous about giving Levi the pressure of being #1 this season without a fall back plan.

He was impressive in his 7 games last year and he could do it.
The only recent guy I can recall doing something similar is Carter Hart. He played 18 games in the AHL as a 20 year old and finished the season as the #1 in Philly with 31 games there.

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am nervous about giving Levi the pressure of being #1 this season without a fall back plan.

He was impressive in his 7 games last year and he could do it.
The only recent guy I can recall doing something similar is Carter Hart. He played 18 games in the AHL as a 20 year old and finished the season as the #1 in Philly with 31 games there.

Is it Devon Levi who makes you nervous, or the idea of a rookie being handed that role?

For me, it’s the latter. Nothing Ive seen or read about Devon himself makes me nervous whatsoever.

Its just the concept.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.