Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

52 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Shayna Goldman made the point that the free agent market isn't as rich as many believe it to be. That is due as much to expected contracts and terms for those players who will be in the market-place. She singled out Compher whom she liked a lot. She felt that a lot of teams would benefit with him on their roster. The issue that makes him a tough sell is the money he will want. She also pointed out as many have that a priority for KA has to be the blueline. It's more likely that priority will be addressed via a trade. 

Shayna Goldman's perspective on hockey is very much undergirded by analytics. She appears on Sabres LIve. She has an engaging and lively personality and is able to support her views through data. She and Marty Biron are an enjoyable duo to listen to. Marty Biron has a very bubbly enthusiastic personality. However, don't let his ebullient style of presentation override the fact that he is knowledgeable, knows the players and the teams in the league. He's very clued in. Needless, to say I am a Marty B fan. 

(Sometimes using a Google Chrome browser will allow you to bring up a WGR link. And sometimes it doesn't work. It seems that I'm only able to copy the link off of  Google Chrome.) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Far and away the most knowledgeable and articulate local sports reporters . Makes most others look bad.

I'm a Marty Biron fan. He has a lively personality but also knows hockey. He's very clued into the league and has a lot of inside information. He's enjoyable to listen to and is also very informative. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Did the mistake of clicking and getting schopp and bulldog  with hamilton.

Of the three people you just mentioned the one person that I have little regard for is Mike Schopp. He's been on WGR, a sports talk station for a long time. I don't even think that he likes or cares about sports. His longevity on the station has me perplexed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TheAud said:

And he's a d*ck

Behind the mike he comes off as a person who is pompous and condescending. I find him to be insufferable. Maybe, outside of his work environment he is a more likeable chap? He's figured out a way to survive in the Buffalo market. I just don't know what the appeal is. I'm stumped. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Of the three people you just mentioned the one person that I have little regard for is Mike Schopp. He's been on WGR, a sports talk station for a long time. I don't even think that he likes or cares about sports. His longevity on the station has me perplexed. 

There are alot of thiings you can say about Mike, but to say he doesn't like sports is not one of them. He has been a Sabres season ticket holder, probably knows more about baseball than anyone in the area and is a huge football fan. He is just not a rah rah guy and he expects you to have an intelligent take if you disagree with him.

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Ethan Bear not being qualified. Some time ago there was a few who wanted him in Buffalo. Is he any good or jag level?

He's slightly above JAG level when healthy. Might not be a bad bottom pairing option for cheap, but I think he's expected to be out until January. He'd be an upgrade over guys like Bryson/Clague/Pilut.

Devils did not qualify Michael McLeod.  I think he wants more money than they are willing to give him.

Worth signing to play 4C?  Basically would be a Jost replacement.

He is big, fast, plays good defense, can play PK and is a great face off guy.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

He's slightly above JAG level when healthy. Might not be a bad bottom pairing option for cheap, but I think he's expected to be out until January. He'd be an upgrade over guys like Bryson/Clague/Pilut.

If you sign a RD to play with power, that is jokers spot as 5D.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

Devils did not qualify Michael McLeod.  I think he wants more money than they are willing to give him.

Honestly, that's the right player. Faceoffs 60%, PK, used to running-and-gunning with the Devils. Would've led all Sabres in hits last season. Useful player and a type the Sabres don't currently have on the roster.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If you sign a RD to play with power, that is jokers spot as 5D.

Absolutely. Not saying I want Bear at all.

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

I'd be very happy with him signing here. Not gonna wow anybody, but does all the little things, particularly the ones we have serious deficiencies in, well. That's the kind of signing that helps a team that's very close break through.

49 minutes ago, Curt said:

Word is he is going back to NJ at a lower amount

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Makes sense that they are expecting him to get less value than the QO; and are negotiating with him. He played pretty well for us and is still relatively young. 

Also no offer for Clague or Pekar. But did give one to Murray and Weissbach

He did a good job last season and he fits in with the team but getting better means replacing some players.  

I  do think he could be back.  Would make a good 13/14 forward.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Thought this might be a useful thread (rather than just individual player interest). 

This from Ryan Clark and Kristen Shilton at ESPN (breaking down what each team should do):

Buffalo Sabres

Key player hitting UFA: F Vinnie Hinostroza
Key players hitting RFA: None
Cap space: $14,459,763

What they should do: Buffalo is blessed with young talent. Now, GM Kevyn Adams must insulate the Sabres' core with more veterans -- especially on their blue line. Extending Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power is an obvious priority. But adding a defenseman like Radko Gudas or Dmitry Orlov to help guide Buffalo's stars would take this team to another level of competitiveness.

Then there's the goalie situation. Again, the Sabres have up-and-comers in Devon Levi and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen -- plus journeyman Eric Comrie under contract another season -- but there's no real No. 1 choice in net for Buffalo entering next season. The Sabres have cap space to spare. Could Frederik Andersen, for instance, come in on a lucrative short-term deal to improve Buffalo now while also giving its next generation of goaltenders a player to learn from?

————-

I like both those ideas of Andersen and a solid veteran defenseman. Gudas is likely the cheaper of the two as he’s older. Orlov would be quite an addition. Some have tales up Ryan Graves but he’s another lefty and at his age and size he’s going to want to land a big deal and will be in demand from teams like Toronto and others needing defensive help. Andersen would be ideal, imo. Maybe 2-3 yr deals for any of those. Orlov is probably looking for more money and a longer deal. He’s a solid physical player though and would really be a very solid upgrade to the back end. 

Really, those are the two prime needs imo. Adding a solid two-way veteran forward who has high compete or physicality might be nice in light of Quinn’s injury. But I wouldn’t spend really big there. It would a short term deal, imo, 1-2 yrs as we have such a strong pipeline. 

Signing a third line center that’s solid and is great at face-offs would be better than a sharp stick in the eye….

20 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Makes sense that they are expecting him to get less value than the QO; and are negotiating with him. He played pretty well for us and is still relatively young. 

Also no offer for Clague or Pekar. But did give one to Murray and Weissbach

Clague will likely end up somewhere for the league minimum again.  Sabres (presuming they want him back) probably figure they don't need to give him the 10% bump to get him back.  Doubt anybody else would give him that premium.  They gave him $300k for his AHL salary.  Doubt anybody else would top that.  Could see them telling him they'd give him the same deal and he's going to look and see if he can find a team that will give him a better chance at staying in the NHL.  And if the Sabres just bring in 1 new D-man, Clague probably figures he'll spend a lot of the year in Buffalo; if they bring in 2 guys, Clague probably figures between being behind Stillman and knowing they'd like to get a look at Johnson at some point that he'd have a better shot of getting back to the NHL in-season by signing with somebody that'll only give him $150k to be on their AHL affiliate.

Pekar will never see a Sabres uniform.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him go back over the pond.

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He did a good job last season and he fits in with the team but getting better means replacing some players.  

I  do think he could be back.  Would make a good 13/14 forward.  

Would be mildly surprised if he doesn't end up back in Buffalo.  Just he wasn't going to get a salary bump to sit in the press box.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

True.

It begs the question, who was the best UFA signing ever by the Sabres?  Teppo? Okposo? Gionta? Spacek? Leopold?  Not exactly a list of greatness.

The worst are easy.  Erhoff, Leino, Hutton, and Moulson to name but four.  There are plenty more.

Oh that bad signing list just hurts.................but you forgot Hall. I make him the worst because he brought the biggest expectation. 

The best? It's slim pickings but maybe it was Lybushkin because he was exactly what he was no more no less so I wasn't disappointed in him. Everyone else pretty much did less than expected. 

I just have this nagging feeling this time we aren't signing anybody. 

50 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh that bad signing list just hurts.................but you forgot Hall. I make him the worst because he brought the biggest expectation. 

The best? It's slim pickings but maybe it was Lybushkin because he was exactly what he was no more no less so I wasn't disappointed in him. Everyone else pretty much did less than expected. 

Hall and Eakin are certainly on the list with  Hall at or near the top.  

Teppo is the best FA signing.  He really solidified the D for the Briere/Drury teams and provided the leadership that team needed.  What an excellent D group that team had.  What I wouldn't do to add a Tallinder or Lydman in their primes to the current group.

Teppo is one of the reasons I so badly want KA to get Orlov or someone like him.  Someone who had been through the wars, but has some serious game left.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You always have that nagging feeling. I sincerely hope you are wrong. (I know you do, too.)

I am expecting that 4D at minimum.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.