Sabres #45 pick: Maxim Strbak, 6'1.25" RHD

LGR4GM

5. Maxim Strbak, RHD, SIOUX FALLS (USHL)

April 13, 2005 | 6′ 1″ | 198 pounds

Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: High-end

Player comparable: Ben Chiarot

Background: Strbak hasn’t put up big offensive numbers in club play between the USHL and Finland’s junior league over the last two seasons. On the international stage he’s been leaned on though. Strbak played a major role on Slovakia’s world junior team, including a 22-minute performance against Canada in the quarterfinals that went to overtime. He was a leading player for Slovakia’s U18 team this season, which went to the semifinals at the worlds. Strbak was a top-four defenseman on the Slovakia team that won silver at the 2021 Hlinka Gretzky. He made Slovakia’s 2022 world junior team as a 16-year-old and was a big part of the club that got Slovakia promoted at the U18 level last spring. He is committed to Michigan State University.

Analysis: Strbak is a defense-first defenseman. He’s a tall, right shot who is mobile and makes a lot of stops due to his reach, feet, physicality and excellent compete level. He brings a strong effort every night, and coaches tend to lean on him in tough situations. I don’t see him as a legit scorer and puck-mover in the NHL, but he’s good enough with the puck, can skate pucks up, and can make enough plays to survive at higher levels. I think he will be a second or third pair defenseman in the NHL depending on the level of offense he brings.

https://theathletic.com/4647999/2023/06/28/nhl-draft-2023-best-available-players-day-2/

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres #45 pick: Maxim Strbak, 6'2" RHD

From Hockey News

Strbak joined Slovakia again for the world under 18s and he helped the team to a fourth place finish while registering the hardest shot in the tourney. Is probably the best D in the USHL outside of the NTDP. He’s not flashy not sexy and he’s never going to run big numbers but he will break pucks out all night.  he looks like a man and plays like a man he’s got that pro mindset. He projects as a bottom pair guy but  isn’t getting out of the second round.

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres #45 pick: Maxim Strbak, 6'1.25" RHD
9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Finally.  This is a Sabre.  I love this pick.  He is going to be a possible top 4 D to eventual compliment Power if he fully develops.  Think a slightly smaller Samuelsson.

"This is a Sabre"? That could be taken a number of ways 🙂

Yes he's a D man, but I don't care for this pick myself. I don't see the Samuelsson comparison at all. I see him as a bottom pairing guy at best. 

I would have taken Kalan Lind. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes he's a D man, but I don't care for this pick myself. I don't see the Samuelsson comparison at all. I see him as a bottom pairing guy at best. 

Could he be a right-handed Jake McCabe? Someone who is a stud as a 5/6, but with the right partner can easily handle top 4 minutes.

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not that it is anything definitive but McKenzie’s scout put him at 33 overall.

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Great pickup here, everytime I look him up analysts and guru's talk about his elite compete level. I really like that he's a big body guy, I hope he can hit as well. I'd love to have a team of skill and who can lay the lumber.

As long as laying the lumber doesn’t equal taking stupid penalties and hurting the team. And yes it would be great to have a few more players in the pipeline with a physical edge.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.