Update Jack Quinn has started skating again

Brawndo

2 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

VO needs to go. He's fine when he goes on a heater, but he's a dead roster spot when he inevitably disappears for two months. If he ain't scoring goals, he's as useless as ice skates on a basketball court.

We can send VO away, but then we’ve quickly gone from a “run it back” F unit to one that will need a few additions. Quinn’s and Jost‘s spots need to be accounted for, even if you put Rousek in the line up we need another guy, AND a 13th man

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think this hurts more than people realize.

The reason this team isn't going big game shopping is because it is counting on internal improvement.

Quinn is second only to Power in terms of being able to provide that.

it also means we may not get help from an Olofsson return because he is the most likely person to fill the hole, and he is probably not going to fix his flaws if he gets those minutes.

If we do trade Vic, Kulich and/or Savoie are probably not going to be able provide even what Quinn providedlast year.

It's a blow.

And considering the expectations for next season nonetheless remain the same....im starting to think KA needs to be a little proactive at F here too 

Ease the blow till Quinn returns in December or so 

Injuries will always be something we need to overcome, rather than avoid, in our pursuit of making the playoffs 

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

So this is not great news, but it is not devastation either. I believe we have more then enough scoring depth to cover this until he is 100% healthy. Savoie maybe?? They can use his 9 game tryout. We have many options. Just want him back 100% and not rushing him.

The loss of Quinn shouldn’t cause a ripple affect where the development path of other young players are changed. Best option rather than elevating a young player who wasn’t otherwise going to be put into that position (unless they truly earn it) is for KA to add a short term depth F for the outside, plenty of expendable assets to get it done, rather do that and protect the rest of the pool 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with Thorny here.  Losing Quinn for half a season, with the expectation that he likely won’t be 100% for a bit after his return, has a negative impact on season expectations.  They need a 2nd line wing now. And expecting a kid to come in and step up is pretty damned high risk to playoff expectations.  KA needs to get a 2nd line winger from the outside in addition to filling the Jost roster spot.

And if VO is moved as expected?……

We are still somewhat depth challenged.  We have cap space.  It’s time KA started acting like winning matters more than development, and not depend on unproven kids to fill holes.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I agree with Thorny here.  Losing Quinn for half a season, with the expectation that he likely won’t be 100% for a bit after his return, has a negative impact on season expectations.  They need a 2nd line wing now. And expecting a kid to come in and step up is pretty damned high risk to playoff expectations.  KA needs to get a 2nd line winger from the outside in addition to filling the Jost roster spot.

And if VO is moved as expected?……

We are still somewhat depth challenged.  We have cap space.  It’s time KA started acting like winning matters more than development, and not depend on unproven kids to fill holes.

Compher's name has been screaming at me from the UFA lists

46 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Havent thought about him. Is he still productive/not an anchor?

he's definitely not the player he onice was.

He's more like vanek when his career was  Winding down.

49 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would gladly take Tarasenko on a 1-year deal, but he's not coming here. 

Didn't realize he didn't like buffalo damn 

Seems to me that people are downplaying this injury. This is a very serious injury for an athlete. 4 to 6 months recovery to get back to "normal" activity. Playing in the NHL is not normal activity.  This is probably going to take a year for him to get back to what he was, if he ever does. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Seems to me that people are downplaying this injury. This is a very serious injury for an athlete. 4 to 6 months recovery to get back to "normal" activity. Playing in the NHL is not normal activity.  This is probably going to take a year for him to get back to what he was, if he ever does. 

Oh I disagree... but it takes a bit.  problem will be strengthening quad and hammies without hurting or having a set back with achilles... they dont tend to tear again... 

Just now, French Collection said:

Anthony Duclair tore his around the same time last year and came back Feb.14th to play 20 games and all of the Panthers playoff run.

It really depends on how well rehab goes but it helps that he is young... Should call Duclair and find out his routine.

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Anthony Duclair tore his around the same time last year and came back Feb.14th to play 20 games and all of the Panthers playoff run.

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

It really depends on how well rehab goes but it helps that he is young... Should call Duclair and find out his routine.

Do we have any sense of how the 2 injuries compare?

13 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

I admit when I saw Duclair got traded today I was upset.  

Immediately thought they don’t think he’s going to be 100% during the remainder of his contract this season so trade him now and get something.  And it’s not a big salary that they’re shedding. 

Maybe not part of the calculation/evaluation here by Florida but how could you rule that out?

8 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

I admit when I saw Duclair got traded today I was upset.  

Immediately thought they don’t think he’s going to be 100% during the remainder of his contract this season so trade him now and get something.  And it’s not a big salary that they’re shedding. 

Maybe not part of the calculation/evaluation here by Florida but how could you rule that out?

Dont think it was about injury... achilles are able to fully rehab and hockey boot makes post injury very stable again its more about being smart with training

• 2 months later...

Christmas is a possible return for Quinn although from Adams' comments, I was not clear if that meant back on the ice to practice or back on the ice to play. Basically I don't know if he meant that is when they expect Quinn to be ready to play NHL games or just when he is done with that initial recovery and can start ramping up for game play. 

• 1 month later...
  • Brawndo changed the title to Update Jack Quinn has started skating again
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.