Draft Starts Wednesday (7pm ESPN) - What's your predictions for the Sabres top 4 picks

GASabresIUFAN

Predict the draft  

39 members have voted

1. 1. 13th overall Pick

• Moore
    • Wood
    • Simashev
    • Willander
    • Benson
    • ASP
    • Reinbacher
    • Danielson
    • Honzak
    • Leonard
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you like for picks 39 and 45

• at 39 I expect a D like Bonk or Lindstein
    • at 39 I expect a forward like Edstrom, Molgaard, Stramel or Haltunnen
    • at 39 I hope for a goalie like Hrabel or Augustine
    • at 45 I expect a D Lindstein or Akey or Strbak etc..
    • at 45 I expect a forward like Ziemmer, Stramel, Perron or Lardis
    • at 45 I hope for a goalie Bjarnanson or Augustine
    • Other
  3. 3. At 86

• BA forward
    • BA Defense
    • BA Goalie
    • McCarthy

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

So are you suggesting that the GM should make expedient moves that in the end sets the team back. That line of short-term thinking has crippled this organization for almost a generation. This team made a quantum leap forward last season from the prior season, a jump of 16 pts. You find it to be unsatisfactory. That makes no sense. 

They went above expectations he should have made a move that showed he believed in them.

But that's just me 

12 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

The fanbase has been waiting for a decade for playoffs so we have something to cheer for and the players deserved it and a out of shape Greenway was the answer.

That's unacceptable

Could you name on thing about the team that is acceptable? I frankly don't know how the current build will go but the past two seasons under KA have been positive with a few exceptions. This young group of core players is a positive sign. Goalkeeper I wish they had upgraded last off season was a disappointment. Beyond that I'm not disappointed in where we've improved this roster.

15 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Give me a break he had a plenty of opportunities to help out the players during the year he did nothing .

73b.pngand could have gotten help at deadline to make the playoffs. 

The goal wasn't the playoffs this past season. The goal was and still is to set rhe team up for long term success. I mean honestly, KA even actually stated such.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

They went above expectations he should have made a move that showed he believed in them.

But that's just me 

There are two sides to the issue of making moves: What you get and what you give up. Making fantasy deals is a fun endeavor for us fans. But in the real world that GMs function in they have to consider players that are available, contracts, terms, asset costs etc. In a relative short time span our GM has elevated this hollow, stuck in the mud franchise into a smartly run operation that has now reached the level of being considered by those in the hockey business to be a serious team.

You complain that there should have more moves made. The Sabres incrementally got better with the additions of Stillman and Greenway. And what you forgot is that the Sabres did finish the season with a flourish against good teams that fell a little short. I don't understand why your eyes are so jaundiced!

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

There are two sides to the issue of making moves: What you get and what you give up. Making fantasy deals is a fun endeavor for us fans. But in the real world that GMs function in they have to consider players that are available, contracts, terms, asset costs etc. In a relative short time span our GM has elevated this hollow, stuck in the mud franchise into a smartly run operation that has now reached the level of being considered by those in the hockey business to be a serious team.

You complain that there should have more moves made. The Sabres incrementally got better with the additions of Stillman and Greenway. And what you forgot is that the Sabres did finish the season with a flourish against good teams that fell a little short. I don't understand why your eyes are so jaundiced!

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952htr2lcokpq3hn2h1x

• Haha (+1) 1

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Draft Starts Wednesday (7pm ESPN) - What's your predictions for the Sabres top 4 picks

Food for thought:

The Athletic’s Pronman on the Sabres biggest draft need. https://theathletic.com/4626765/2023/06/26/nhl-draft-2023-team-needs/

Buffalo Sabres: Size at forward

The Sabres have picked eight forwards in the top two rounds in the past three drafts, and all of them have been 6-1 or shorter. History suggests you can win with a few of those guys in your lineup, but unlikely with nine of them. If they go defense it would be different, but if they draft a forward high they ideally add a little more bulk to their pool.

Actually they are all under 6’0 when drafted (Savoie 5’9, Östlund and Kisakov 5’10, Poltapov, Rosen, Rousek, Kulich, Kozak 5’11).  Only Neuchev is tallish and he is 6’2.

I don’t think drafting a tall forward is a necessity by any means as the Sabres’ roster is pretty balanced size wise. In fact, our forwards have 5 players (Tuch, TNT, DC Z and Greenway) 6’2+ and two others 6’1 in Mitts and Quinn who are pretty solid on their skates. JJP and Krebs are 6’.  Still his point is well taken, although I think D is the more pressing need in our system.

Still, Wood and Honzek are big forwards (6’2+).  Sale, Barlow and Danielson are 6’1.  Most if not all of these guys should be available at 13.  Of these 5, Honzek and Danielson are my favorites.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Food for thought:

The Athletic’s Pronman on the Sabres biggest draft need. https://theathletic.com/4626765/2023/06/26/nhl-draft-2023-team-needs/

Actually they are all under 6’0 when drafted (Savoie 5’9, Östlund and Kisakov 5’10, Poltapov, Rosen, Rousek, Kulich, Kozak 5’11).  Only Neuchev is tallish and he is 6’2.

I don’t think drafting a tall forward is a necessity by any means as the Sabres’ roster is pretty balanced size wise. In fact, our forwards have 5 players (Tuch, TNT, DC Z and Greenway) 6’2+ and two others 6’1 in Mitts and Quinn who are pretty solid on their skates. JJP and Krebs are 6’.  Still his point is well taken, although I think D is the more pressing need in our system.

Still, Wood and Honzek are big forwards (6’2+).  Sale, Barlow and Danielson are 6’1.  Most if not all of these guys should be available at 13.  Of these 5, Honzek and Danielson are my favorites.

I take everything Pronman says with a huge grain of salt. I also think this is one of his worst takes. Buffalo's biggest draft need is defense, they have maybe 3 guys in their defensive prospect pool. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Sabres are 16th in average height btw. Florida Panthers were 23rd. Vegas was 5th (hence Pronman's take). The big bad bruins were 18th. 

This myth is coming back and I knew it would. That the Sabres are this small team of cute little powder puffs. They aren't. They are basically league average. On defense, they are above league average if we pretend Bryson doesn't exist. If you can add talent with size, excellent do it. However and I always say this, don't draft the Maveric Lamoureux's of the world when the Issac Howard's of the world give you a far better talent level. 

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres are 16th in average height btw. Florida Panthers were 23rd. Vegas was 5th (hence Pronman's take). The big bad bruins were 18th. 

This myth is coming back and I knew it would. That the Sabres are this small team of cute little powder puffs. They aren't. They are basically league average. On defense, they are above league average if we pretend Bryson doesn't exist. If you can add talent with size, excellent do it. However and I always say this, don't draft the Maveric Lamoureux's of the world when the Issac Howard's of the world give you a far better talent level. 

People tend to ignore the fact the Sabres core players - Thompson Power Tuch Dahlin Mule Cozens - are a full degree bigger than the vast majority of other team’s best players.

They also tend to complain about size while saying the Sabres should move on from 6’2” 215 Girgensons and 6’0” 220 Okposo.

Its kinda weird.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Still his point is well taken, although I think D is the more pressing need in our system.

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I take everything Pronman says with a huge grain of salt. I also think this is one of his worst takes. Buffalo's biggest draft need is defense, they have maybe 3 guys in their defensive prospect pool. 

I agree that D is the more pressing “need,” but I have zero problem with the Sabres taking Honzek (for example) with the 13th pick, as long as they get a D or 2 with the 2nd rd picks.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People tend to ignore the fact the Sabres core players - Thompson Power Tuch Dahlin Mule Cozens - are a full degree bigger than the vast majority of other team’s best players.

They also tend to complain about size while saying the Sabres should move on from 6’2” 215 Girgensons and 6’0” 220 Okposo.

Its kinda weird.

Yup. 

Dylan Cozens: 6'3" 22yrd old

Tage Thompson: 6'7" 25yrs old 

Alex Tuch: 6'4" 27yrs old

Jordan Greenway: 6'6" 26yrs old

only 2 forwards that are 5'11" (none are under that) are JJP and Skinner

On defense...

Rasmus Dahlin: 6'3" 23yrs old

Owen Power: 6'6" 20yrs old

Mattias Samuelson: 6'4" 23yrs old

Ilya Lyubushkin: 6'2" 29yrs old

The only defender under 6' is Jacob Bryson

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree that D is the more pressing “need,” but I have zero problem with the Sabres taking Honzek (for example) with the 13th pick, as long as they get a D or 2 with the 2nd rd picks.  

I fully expect the BPA at 13 to either be Simashev or a forward. Honzek, Richie, Musty and Barlow would all be options that are over 6' tall. 

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. 

Dylan Cozens: 6'3" 22yrd old

Tage Thompson: 6'7" 25yrs old 

Alex Tuch: 6'4" 27yrs old

Jordan Greenway: 6'6" 26yrs old

only 2 forwards that are 5'11" (none are under that) are JJP and Skinner

On defense...

Rasmus Dahlin: 6'3" 23yrs old

Owen Power: 6'6" 20yrs old

Mattias Samuelson: 6'4" 23yrs old

Ilya Lyubushkin: 6'2" 29yrs old

The only defender under 6' is Jacob Bryson

And no one who watches should think Skinner or JJP are weak.

They’re both 190-pounders with thick lower bodies.

I really think it’s coming from people lusting for a face-puncher while forgetting Mitts and Tage aren’t skinny 20-year-olds any more.

With Vic and Vinnie likely moving on, the only Sabre forwards I see getting overpowered are Quinn and Krebs. Each has a frame to get stronger and the competitive spirit to battle through. Each is better in traffic than they were a year ago.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

And no one who watches should think Skinner or JJP are weak.

They’re both 190-pounders with thick lower bodies.

I really think it’s coming from people lusting for a face-puncher while forgetting Mitts and Tage aren’t skinny 20-year-olds any more.

With Vic and Vinnie likely moving on, the only Sabre forwards I see getting overpowered are Quinn and Krebs. Each has a frame to get stronger and the competitive spirit to battle through. Each is better in traffic than they were a year ago.

You are right on about the comment on being weak.

This team doesn’t seem to have the in your face grit but outside of VO they all want to compete. That is a characteristic that KA talks about a lot and I think it leads to not backing down from any battle. They don’t have a designated face puncher but when guys like Cozens, TNT and Krebs drop the mitts there is no question they want to stand up for themselves and their teammates.

I would think the youngest team in the league will be the one to add the most weight over the next year or two. Maturity will add strength to more than half of the team. The bond they have from growing together will lead to a pack mentality which adds another layer of toughness.

While I would love to see Power channel Pronger and Mule drop guys like Hatcher did, just having their compete level win battles is great. 
Part of toughness is not retaliating and putting your team on more PPs. Being competitive bulldog types can lead to being on the right side of the PIMs. With the talent available for PP1 & 2, other teams would be leery of going over the edge vs the Sabres.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is another link from WGR's Schopp and Bulldog talking about the draft. The Tony Ferrari segment indicates that there are a number of quality of options when the Sabres pick at 13. The point was made that there will be some very good players available when we make our second pick. If you can't bring up this link with your browser try the Google Chrome browser. This is a 20 minute segment.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/schopp-and-bulldog

On 6/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, Eleven said:

I do not want the Sabres to select anyone at 13.  I want that pick used in a trade.  I don't think the team needs some guy who will break out in 2026. But Adams is going to Adams.

I want both. The Sabres can do both. Though I see the frustration in your comment. I think the Sabres should do something as well…. A few transactions and we should be able to tangle with the big boys and be better than the 8th seed. I can’t wait to watch our five rookies from last season take another big step. The fact is though that the Sabres might only need that #4 RHD to improve dramatically….

After listening to Kris Baker on WGR I'm predicting (guessing) that they will take either AS Pelinka or Oliver Moore. If the pick is traded away for a top 4 defenseman, I will be receptive to that deal. I just don't think that GM is keen on giving up top picks. 

Does anybody else think the NHL should move their draft back a couple of weeks to be held AFTER the free agent signing period has opened like the NFL does it?

Teams would know better what holes they expect to have 2-3 years down the road and could draft accordingly.

It would likely cut down on the number of trades during the draft, but if the trades came in the week or so leading up to the draft does that really matter?

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Does anybody else think the NHL should move their draft back a couple of weeks to be held AFTER the free agent signing period has opened like the NFL does it?

Teams would know better what holes they expect to have 2-3 years down the road and could draft accordingly.

It would likely cut down on the number of trades during the draft, but if the trades came in the week or so leading up to the draft does that really matter?

The trades is what brings the excitement. GMs want to know what deals are available before signing UFAs to fill the holes afterwards.  GMs are still holding their cards whether they are rebuilding or not up until draft day.  If you move UFA first then bunch of teams are going to just be ready to pick and not deal. 

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Negative. 

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The trades is what brings the excitement. GMs want to know what deals are available before signing UFAs to fill the holes afterwards.  GMs are still holding their cards whether they are rebuilding or not up until draft day.  If you move UFA first then bunch of teams are going to just be ready to pick and not deal. 

To the bolded, true.  But is that in fact actually a bad thing?  Yes, it might not be as much "fun" on draft day; but how many actual MAJOR trades happen then anyhow?  There'll still be trades in the latter rounds with somebody trading up into the 4th by giving up a 7th or next year's 6th in addition to the pick being swapped.  That won't stop happening as teams will still see somebody they had a 2nd round grade falling to the 4th and somebody else will want to restock their draft cabinet for next year because they already traded those picks away at the deadline and right after FA started.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.