Goaltending will be fine: Devon Levi edition

LGR4GM

I actually think the goaltending, if left as is will still be significantly better than last year and 90% of that revolves around Devon Levi being absolutely agile and excellent at puck tracking. Will he have some down games? Yes. Will he need to adjust once teams get a book on him? Yes. Will he be fine this upcoming season. Yes. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The tending will almost certainly be improved year over year merely by Levi’s presence. I’m just not sure “better” constitutes the position being “appropriately managed”. I’d rather the GT and team succeed outright to whatever levels are reasonably possible than potentially succeed *in spite* of goalie B being sub-par, simply because we can

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The tending will almost certainly be improved year over year merely by Levi’s presence. I’m just not sure “better” constitutes the position being “appropriately managed”. I’d rather the GT and team succeed outright to whatever levels are reasonably possible than potentially succeed *in spite* of goalie B being sub-par, simply because we can

Yep.  It COULD work out well enough as it is.  But would really rather see an upgrade to the guy not wearing 27 that they'd be running with were the season to start today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

UPL's record as a Sabre goalie: 17/11/4

Levi's record projected over the remaining 50 games: 35/14/1

That adds up to a 109-point season.

So "we'll be fine" is certainly possible.

The better only question: Is it likely?

If the answer is 'No' then they must add a goalie.

If with all the data they have that we don't they decide that the answer is 'Yes' then we very well could find them riding with the 3 headed monster.  But, just don't get the gut feeling that they will be running the 3 headed goalie monster back.  (Can't tell if that's just due to hoping that's true or if now that Levi is in the fold that believe that Adams is finally "unshackled" in his quest for competent (or better) goaltending.)

A couple of Sabres fan sites in my news feed are also on this bandwagon.  I am far less confident.  That is why I think the off-season is a partial failure if a senior goalkeeper for Levi is not signed by GMKA.

Seems Levy's best friend is justin hryckowian, who's an undrafted free agent playing at North Eastern.  Future Buffalo signing?  Stats aren't bad - team captain and a little over a point per game in his Sophomore year

Edited by CTJoe

I was interested to read in the Athletic that goalie Dan Vladar of the Flames is being shopped and is expected to return a 2nd round pick.

He’s turning 26 this summer and had put up an .899 save percentage over 55 NHL games, mostly as a Flames backup.

UPL is 2 years younger and has an .898 save percentage over 48 NHL games.

Its been clear to me for a while that if the Sabres bring in another goalie UPL is gone.

I wonder what his value is?

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I was interested to read in the Athletic that goalie Dan Vladar of the Flames is being shopped and is expected to return a 2nd round pick.

He’s turning 26 this summer and had put up an .899 save percentage over 55 NHL games, mostly as a Flames backup.

UPL is 2 years younger and has an .898 save percentage over 48 NHL games.

Its been clear to me for a while that if the Sabres bring in another goalie UPL is gone.

I wonder what his value is?

It would not shock me if UPL or Comrie got moved in a trade or as part of a larger trade. I think UPL probably would bring back a late 2nd or 3rd

5 minutes ago, freester said:

It would not shock me if UPL or Comrie got moved in a trade or as part of a larger trade. I think UPL probably would bring back a late 2nd or 3rd

Presuming a vet goalie is brought in, it is almost definite that one of UPL or Comrie gets traded.  Would expect that UPL is more likely to get traded as he has more upside so presumably teams would want him more than Comrie.  And as he has more upside would expect it would be less likely for him to clear waivers if he were the 3rd goalie left in the or-gan-I-za-tion.

A 2nd or 3rd is most likely what he'd be worth if he isn't part of a package for 1 of those 4 pieces the Sabres should be looking for (top 4 D, veteran goalie, another 5/6 D, & vet 4C that's good on faceoffs and PK).  And pretty much only expect 2 of those 4 pieces brought in though am still hoping Adams grabs all 4.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Presuming a vet goalie is brought in, it is almost definite that one of UPL or Comrie gets traded.  Would expect that UPL is more likely to get traded as he has more upside so presumably teams would want him more than Comrie.  And as he has more upside would expect it would be less likely for him to clear waivers if he were the 3rd goalie left in the or-gan-I-za-tion.

A 2nd or 3rd is most likely what he'd be worth if he isn't part of a package for 1 of those 4 pieces the Sabres should be looking for (top 4 D, veteran goalie, another 5/6 D, & vet 4C that's good on faceoffs and PK).  And pretty much only expect 2 of those 4 pieces brought in though am still hoping Adams grabs all 4.

I was implying that trading UPL or Comrie could happen without acquiring a veteran goalie. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Can Devon Levi, a rookie goaltender, provide at minimum NHL average goaltending?   Maybe.

Is it wise for KA to go into the season with nothing but a a "maybe" at the most important position in the ice?   No.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, freester said:

I was implying that trading UPL or Comrie could happen without acquiring a veteran goalie. 

Only way that happens, IMHO, is if Adams is really comfortable with the one that stays as the backup, he REALLY doesn't want to roll with the 3 headed goalie monster redux, AND he doesn't believe Comrie (&/or UPL, whoever is odd man out) could clear waivers.

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If your UPL, what are your thoughts on bringing Levi into the goaltending mix?

What UPL surely is thinking is that with Levi in the fold he has to come into camp in shape and be prepared to compete with Levi and Comrie to earn a spot and playing time. Competition and pressure are what he will be facing. He will be judged on his performance in camp. He's not entitled to anything.  And that is how it should be. I'm sure he understands that. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, freester said:

I really hope we don’t see a Levi-UPL/Comrie tandom. That’s way too inexperienced for a team so close to getting over the hump. 

And on that note, what does it leave in Rochester?

Edited by shrader

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

I really hope we don’t see a Levi-UPL/Comrie random. That’s way too inexperienced for a team so close to getting over the hump. 

And on that note, what does it leave in Rochester?

Likely Subban and either Hauser or some other team's Hauser.  Which is what the Amerks should be planning on having and if Comrie (or UPL) end up clearing waivers then Hauser/replacement Hauser gets to spend a winter in FLA.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Likely Subban and either Hauser or some other team's Hauser.  Which is what the Amerks should be planning on having and if Comrie (or UPL) end up clearing waivers then Hauser/replacement Hauser gets to spend a winter in FLA.

So in that scenario where no veteran is brought in, whether or not UPL/Comrie is traded, Subban would be the most experienced goalie in the system. I’m about to become violently I’ll. 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

So in that scenario where no veteran is brought in, whether or not UPL/Comrie is traded, Subban would be the most experienced goalie in the system. I’m about to become violently I’ll. 

You're 3 days shy of the draft and already going to get sick because Adams made no moves?  Did GA swipe your login creds?😉

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.