Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I remember the Sabres being 4th when I started discovering the beautiful world of sports statistics 

Shouldn’t have snuck up on them like that. Pissed them off 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

4th not too long ago...whatever year it was that I took my dad to the HOF.  I think that was around 2012.

Oh man....haven't thought about this in like forever. My dad taking me and my 3 brothers to the HOF. I was 10 (49 years ago). Luce and Gainey were there signing autographs. Good times. 

Glad you brought that up.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I know we used to be higher...11th doesn’t seem so bad after 12 years of stacked futility C4BA6C76-5672-49DF-A10B-DCB495A0386C.thumb.jpeg.54d296028e4a5f3b060a295d4e10659a.jpeg

More than 3/4 of the teams have winning records.  And the absolute worst winning "percentage" is still a respectable 0.475.  Truly despise the loser point.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

More than 3/4 of the teams have winning records.  And the absolute worst winning "percentage" is still a respectable 0.475.  Truly despise the loser point.

Vegas’ numbers are inflated by only playing in that era. I wonder how much closer that gap to Montreal would be if you somehow adjusted for it. 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

I hate the loser point too. Maybe it's just because I am old and grew up with that but I never had a problem with regular season ties. The idea was always if you could get a tie on the road it was a good night and not winning at home was going to cost you in the standings and so road teams tended to play for the tie and home teams tried harder to go for the win but a point was a point and we went on to the next game.  I never understood the problem. I mean in baseball teams split double headers all the time which is a win each but really no different than ties in terms of the standings. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Spencer Knight is exiting the player assistance program and has been cleared by the league to attend Panthers development camp (he would not normally be eligible).

https://floridahockeynow.com/spencer-knight-returns-to-florida-panthers-for-development-camp/

Good for knight hopefully he takes the steps needed to be successful. 

Anyone know if it was alcohol? 

On 7/5/2023 at 10:28 PM, HumanSlinky39 said:

It's not as dire as it looks for them. Morgan Reilly ($7.5M) and Matt Murray ($4,687,500) are bound for LTIR. Samsonov will necessitate further cap gymnastics, though. There's long been rumors about them moving Willy Nylander. We'll see on that.

Late to the party reading this but what the heck are you talking about?  Neither Murray or Reilly will be on LTIR.  Did something happen to Reilly I missed?  I haven’t read any type of injury?  

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm going to predict right now that the Islanders don't make the playoffs. If they do, they won't be winning a series. 

The islanders are not hopeless but they have a few issues:

-There is virtually no help in the system. They have a few young players Isle fans can convince themselves MIGHT be good NHL'ers, but they have to try hard to do that. There really isn't anyone in the orgainzation that can be any kid of difference maker at any level.

-With no help coming in from the system, how about anyone on the main roster still young and getting better? Not really. Forwards 'usually' hit their statistical peak about age 25-26, and by the age of 28 they tend to start the slide down in production. Barzal is 26 already, but he might be a bit of an overpay at 9.1m per year.  Horvatt is 28. Anders Lee is 33. Brock Nelson will be 32 when the season starts.  Lee, Nelson, and Horvatt are going to be the only guys on that roster next year that scored over 20 goals this past season, with no help really coming...most other guys you are lucky if they hit the high teens. Sure, they play a good Defensive game, but when it comes to outgunning any other teams, they don't have much of chance.

They play a great defensive game and have great goaltending. That will keep them competitive.  But the problem is there is really no reason to think they will be any better next year than they were this year, and a few reasons (slight regression due to some aging) to think they might be slightly worse.  Basically, the past 2 seasons (84 and 93 points) are probably their ceiling, with little going to to push them over that ceiling.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The islanders are not hopeless but they have a few issues:

-There is virtually no help in the system. They have a few young players Isle fans can convince themselves MIGHT be good NHL'ers, but they have to try hard to do that. There really isn't anyone in the orgainzation that can be any kid of difference maker at any level.

-With no help coming in from the system, how about anyone on the main roster still young and getting better? Not really. Forwards 'usually' hit their statistical peak about age 25-26, and by the age of 28 they tend to start the slide down in production. Barzal is 26 already, but he might be a bit of an overpay at 9.1m per year.  Horvatt is 28. Anders Lee is 33. Brock Nelson will be 32 when the season starts.  Lee, Nelson, and Horvatt are going to be the only guys on that roster next year that scored over 20 goals this past season, with no help really coming...most other guys you are lucky if they hit the high teens. Sure, they play a good Defensive game, but when it comes to outgunning any other teams, they don't have much of chance.

They play a great defensive game and have great goaltending. That will keep them competitive.  But the problem is there is really no reason to think they will be any better next year than they were this year, and a few reasons (slight regression due to some aging) to think they might be slightly worse.  Basically, the past 2 seasons (84 and 93 points) are probably their ceiling, with little going to to push them over that ceiling.

Yeah, the Aisles are the "obvious" choice to expect to fall out of the playoffs this coming year.  They have to be so on their game at all times because they simply aren't going to outscore anybody.  Low to mid-90's seems to be what they should get over the course of the season and that shouldn't be good enough.

Figure one other team will also drop out.  On paper, as they continue to age, if Vasilevskiy slips at all like he did down the stretch TB would seem to be a logical guess to be the other one to falter; but until he actually falters for a full year, hard to expect he will.  If Shesterkin doesn't stay healthy, could see the Rags slipping too; but if he's healthy expect they're a lock for top 3 in their division.

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Mash

Right right they’re doctors, no? I mix up those old shows all the time I’m assuming that’s the one with Clooney 

Who, coincidentally was also Batman

Small world  

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, the Aisles are the "obvious" choice to expect to fall out of the playoffs this coming year.  They have to be so on their game at all times because they simply aren't going to outscore anybody.  Low to mid-90's seems to be what they should get over the course of the season and that shouldn't be good enough.

Figure one other team will also drop out.  On paper, as they continue to age, if Vasilevskiy slips at all like he did down the stretch TB would seem to be a logical guess to be the other one to falter; but until he actually falters for a full year, hard to expect he will.  If Shesterkin doesn't stay healthy, could see the Rags slipping too; but if he's healthy expect they're a lock for top 3 in their division.

Tampa and the Islanders, as you said, are probably the safest bets.

Boston you can't rule out a major drop. Bergeron, Krecji, Bertuzzi, Hall, Orlov and Clifton are all possibly gone, and they played a major role on this team at some point. Marchand will be turning 36 later in season and he did have a slip in offensive production last year.  We are all tired of predicting the Bruins taking a step back, but it is a possibility.

Toronto is a great regular season team, but they are so top-heavy that all the need is a season ending injury to one of their top 4 and a half step back in goaltending and that would cause them to take a major step back.  Not that you can rely on it happening, but their season can change the most with injuries to their top 4.