Hot take: I’ll be rooting for Eichel

OverPowerYou

Jack didn’t have to be the guy here in Vegas. Stone is the real deal along with many other leaders of this team. Cassidy really got Eichel to play a solid two way game. Believe it or not Marchy is another leader who doesn’t wear a letter. I could go on and on about Vegas being a season ticket holder from the beginning. It’s just a well built organization. From the owner on down. Even the minor league team the Henderson Silver Knights have a top of the line facility along with their home rink. Go Knights Go! Stanley Cup Champs 22-23

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wonder how Tuch is feeling about this? Hopefully he is like, "Our turn soon!" But you know he thinks if he stayed they would of won it with him there. I do, too 

You wanna know what the guy who grew up next to Connelly and is a life long Sabres fan thinks about Vegas winning the cup? 

"Season starts in October." 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

i know the sabres being terrible was not jacks fault, but terrible management. 

i just dont understand why i rooted against jack in the playoffs and the cup. my feelings have not changed, and i will still root against him, i just dont understand why i have such a dislike for him now.  maybe it was him constantly sulking when he was here. i dont know

Edited by miles

16 minutes ago, miles said:

i just dont understand why i rooted against jack in the playoffs and the cup. my feelings have not changed, and i will still root against him, i just dont understand why i have such a dislike for him now.  maybe it was him constantly sulking when he was here. i dont know

It’s a mix for me. He was not exactly a likable guy. But at the same time we have become a feeder program to help teams win the cup. So it reminds me of being trapped as a fan to an unprecedented series of dysfunctional management and a passionate sports town that is cursed. 

36 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It’s a mix for me. He was not exactly a likable guy. But at the same time we have become a feeder program to help teams win the cup. So it reminds me of being trapped as a fan to an unprecedented series of dysfunctional management and a passionate sports town that is cursed. 

Buffalo isn’t cursed. Good grief…

Buffalo Bandits … 5 championship titles in franchise history. 

Buffalo Bisons … 3 championship titles in franchise history.

• Haha (+1) 1

Is this the 1st time Jack's been part of a team that has won something? Wait i believe he was part of the US Junior squad that took gold some 10 years ago.

You'd think a player as great as Jack would've had more team success to speak of in his career. The fact that he hasn't is a story in itself i suppose.

I'm sure he's ecstatic, but Vegas winning the Cup seems less to do about Jack & more to do with the rest of the Vegas squad. In fact, Vegas had they not made the trade very likely couldve won the Cup anyways with Tuch & Krebs on their roster. Did Jack really provide Vegas with more than what Tuch would've? But yes i was one of those rooting against him & Vegas. Im just glad he didn't win the Conn Smythe like ROR because that mightve been too much for me lol.

But I dont hate that he won & i wish him no ill will. I do wonder what to do with my Eichel jerseys tho. Figured keep 1 for posterity & maybe add a letter in front of his name? F might work. No ill will i swear haha

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You wanna know what the guy who grew up next to Connelly and is a life long Sabres fan thinks about Vegas winning the cup? 

"Season starts in October." 

Yup, but with our young team it will take a few years but he and everyone should be happy with the general direction of team. Tuch seems like a player who will show up in the playoffs. I’d still make that trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, miles said:

He’s just a guy on another team now. I was embarrassed by how he was treated here on his return 

Eichel was, by many accounts, an immature jerk when he was here, and validated that impression with his behavior at the first Vegas game in Buffalo, but IMHO he was also set up to fail here.  The tank was a stupid, low-percentage strategy that produced the expected result, and it was compounded by a series of bad GM and coach hires.  It wasn't realistic for a kid to muscle the franchise out of that quicksand. 

I don't blame Jack for not wanting to waste more of his prime years on another rebuild, or for not believing that KA was finally the right guy to build a good team around him -- especially when KA only got the job when JB got fired after refusing to gut the organization and implement an austerity budget in response to the pandemic.  Certainly that was a crossroads at which he could've made himself an icon here if he'd chosen to stick it out and lead the resurrection, but his choice was reasonable.

He landed in the perfect spot for him -- a successful, top-shelf organization with established veteran stars and leaders.  He didn't need to be the focal point or the leader.  He just needed to play hard and play the coach's system, and he did it extremely well.  I don't see how anyone can think Vegas would've won the Cup without him.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Is this the 1st time Jack's been part of a team that has won something? Wait i believe he was part of the US Junior squad that took gold some 10 years ago.

You'd think a player as great as Jack would've had more team success to speak of in his career. The fact that he hasn't is a story in itself i suppose.

I'm sure he's ecstatic, but Vegas winning the Cup seems less to do about Jack & more to do with the rest of the Vegas squad. In fact, Vegas had they not made the trade very likely couldve won the Cup anyways with Tuch & Krebs on their roster. Did Jack really provide Vegas with more than what Tuch would've? But yes i was one of those rooting against him & Vegas. Im just glad he didn't win the Conn Smythe like ROR because that mightve been too much for me lol.

But I dont hate that he won & i wish him no ill will. I do wonder what to do with my Eichel jerseys tho. Figured keep 1 for posterity & maybe add a letter in front of his name? F might work. No ill will i swear haha

Bro a cup and a world junior gold is more team success than the vast majority of nhl skaters achieve

Hes 26

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Bro a cup and a world junior gold is more team success than the vast majority of nhl skaters achieve

Hes 26

Jack’s two turns at the World Juniors, 2014 and 2015, were non winning teams. They were knocked out in quarterfinals both years by Russia.

Finland won gold in 2014 while Canada won in 2015.

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Eichel was, by many accounts, an immature jerk when he was here, and validated that impression with his behavior at the first Vegas game in Buffalo, but IMHO he was also set up to fail here.  The tank was a stupid, low-percentage strategy that produced the expected result, and it was compounded by a series of bad GM and coach hires.  It wasn't realistic for a kid to muscle the franchise out of that quicksand. 

I don't blame Jack for not wanting to waste more of his prime years on another rebuild, or for not believing that KA was finally the right guy to build a good team around him -- especially when KA only got the job when JB got fired after refusing to gut the organization and implement an austerity budget in response to the pandemic.  Certainly that was a crossroads at which he could've made himself an icon here if he'd chosen to stick it out and lead the resurrection, but his choice was reasonable.

He landed in the perfect spot for him -- a successful, top-shelf organization with established veteran stars and leaders.  He didn't need to be the focal point or the leader.  He just needed to play hard and play the coach's system, and he did it extremely well.  I don't see how anyone can think Vegas would've won the Cup without him.

Exactly, the tank worked and the rebuild failed. Glad you finally understand because as you conclude "I don't see how anyone can think Vegas would've won the Cup without him."

4 hours ago, miles said:

I have a similar feeling.

I think that when he was drafted, and his first few years hear, even his 'on pace for MVP season' he was having at one point, I never really connected with him like fans do with their franchise player. 

If you follow the maple leafs fanbase you get a lot of the same vibes from them about their entire 'core'...they root for them becasue they are leafs and they are stars, but they aren't all that likeable to many.  For example, when I was out of town and talking to people outside of Buffalo about sports, I never really felt the need to talk about Jack and say "that's my guy!", certainly not the way I feel about Josh Allen. Or I did about Hasek.  Even how I did about Ryan Miller.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.