A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

39 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I would not, primarily based on that contract proposed. Plus I don’t want our top 4 to be all lefties.

Acquiring a legimate Top 4 defenseman as an entire season rental for pick likely to be between 18-27 is a smart move

Granato and the Analytics Staff do not care about handiness, their defenseman played the second most amount of minutes on their off hand in the league last year. If they don’t care neither do I. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I would trade 13OA as part of a package for  Hellebuyck or Saros. 

Hanifin I would be a little hesitant about. I think you would get more bang for the buck with a goalie or moving it for a defenseman with term and a lower AAV or a RFA needing a new deal. Dream scenario is K’Andre Miller. 

Evolving Hockey has Hanifin’s most likely next deal at 8 years 7.4 million AAV. 

His metrics slipped a little this pass season, but I would offer a Top 10 protected 2024 1st for him though. 

Just thinking that maybe we could sign Graves as a UFA for maybe $5 to $6 million a year and not give up more than a 3rd (using Severson's example)....wouldn't be a bad alternative IMHO.

8 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Just thinking that maybe we could sign Graves as a UFA for maybe $5 to $6 million a year and not give up more than a 3rd (using Severson's example)....wouldn't be a bad alternative IMHO.

Another dark horse candidate would be Kevin Shattenkirk, he had very good metrics on a historically bad Anaheim Defensive and is a RHD. 

Probably could be had for a two year 4.5 million AAV deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, dudacek said:
On 6/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

A center built for playoff hockey. Can you imagine?

I think we already have that on the roster with Cozens and Krebs

And Mitts.... even though he's not a full time center but I think we'll see him playing some center when the Sabres make the playoffs.

15 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I'd trade Buffalo 2nd, Savoi, Jost and Olofsson to Calgary for Hanifin, Coleman, and Markstrom.

Markstrom has been in bad form for two years.  I wouldn't trade Savoie for him.  Also not a huge fan of the Coleman contract, he's worth half of that at most. 

Trade for the defensemen.  This years free agency is a cesspool.  They all have warts, and you'll be overextending yourself for something that hasn't been seen in a minimum of 3 seasons.  Dumba is an adequate 4th defensemen.  He's a decent enough physical player.  However, he's injury riddled, his offensive game has dried up, and he's living on previous seasons.  He's one of the top guys.  I wouldn't touch him with a fork.  I would pay some for Gudas, but he has to want to come here. 

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't get this logic at all but that's just me 

Why wouldn't you trade that package for a already proven defenseman 

I would. Of course I would. Saying what I would give up for a specific player does not mean he's my top preference, kinda weird if you think it does. 

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Acquiring a legimate Top 4 defenseman as an entire season rental for pick likely to be between 18-27 is a smart move

Granato and the Analytics Staff do not care about handiness, their defenseman played the second most amount of minutes on their off hand in the league last year. If they don’t care neither do I. 

He played poorly at RHD.

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I usually agree with your takes. Not on this issue. I wouldn't give up our first-round pick for a goalie or defenseman who was a one-year rental. 

I don't understand the concern for handiness. Who gives a dam! Whether it is a blueliner or a forward the determining issue is who are the better players. Right handed, left handed or ambidextrous are not so relevant in today's modern hockey which is fast paced with players skating on all sides of the ice. 

9 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Trade for the defensemen.  This years free agency is a cesspool.  They all have warts, and you'll be overextending yourself for something that hasn't been seen in a minimum of 3 seasons.  Dumba is an adequate 4th defensemen.  He's a decent enough physical player.  However, he's injury riddled, his offensive game has dried up, and he's living on previous seasons.  He's one of the top guys.  I wouldn't touch him with a fork.  I would pay some for Gudas, but he has to want to come here. 

The FA pool is fine. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Another dark horse candidate would be Kevin Shattenkirk, he had very good metrics on a historically bad Anaheim Defensive and is a RHD. 

Probably could be had for a two year 4.5 million AAV deal. 

Getting a little up there in age at 34 though no?  I always remember him playing a pretty physical game.  Just wondering if there's anything left in the tank.

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't get this logic at all but that's just me 

Why wouldn't you trade that package for a already proven defenseman 

Because I think that David Jiricek is going to be better than any "proven" defender you can trade that for. In fact I like Jiricek so much I think he might be a top 10 defender in the league within the next 3 years. 6'3" great skating physical RHD don't grow on trees. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

KA’s will be judged this off-season based primarily on 3 things and a bonus.

1. Getting a good partner for Levi in net.

2. Getting a D partner for Power.

3. Extend Dahlin (possibly done).

Bonus: Extend Power, although it’s very possible Power’s camp wants to wait.  

Bringing in this year’s equivalents of Comrie and Lyubushkin will be failure.  

Everything else is gravy.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA’s will be judged this off-season based primarily on 3 things and a bonus.

1. Getting a good partner for Levi in net.

2. Getting a D partner for Power.

3. Extend Dahlin (possibly done).

Bonus: Extend Power, although it’s very possible Power’s camp wants to wait.  

Bringing in this year’s equivalents of Comrie and Lyubushkin will be failure.  

Everything else is gravy.  

Ilya Lyubushkin played his roll perfectly last year. In fact if we had had another Lyubushkin we probably make the playoffs. Boosh is a very solid #5 defender. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ilya Lyubushkin played his roll perfectly last year. In fact if we had had another Lyubushkin we probably make the playoffs. Boosh is a very solid #5 defender. 

I think all his numbers are basically what Hagg gave us last year, except Hagg played 17 minutes to Bush's 15, and in only 48 games to Bush's 68, Hagg gave us similar totals in hits and blocks and a similar % of pt/gp.  Their advanced stats on Hockey-reference are nearly identical as well.  Sorry, I don't think Bush was much of an upgrade. 

I do agree KA needed to get at add more D depth last season.  Last off-season I asked for a top 4 defender and a depth player like Bush and all we got was Bush.

The needs heading into last season were the same as this off-season, getting a top 4 D man and a decent goalie. Instead, KA signed two band-aids.  

KA has shown he can get excellent value when trading away talent.  He has shown he can draft well and develop players.  I think he is doing a very good job locking in his core with a goal of smart cap management.  The only area where he has been a disappointment so far is outside player acquisition to upgrade holes in his NHL roster.  His first crop of Hall, Eakin, and Staal were busts.  His second group of Pysyk, Butcher, Dell, Hayden, Anderson, and Vinnie ranged from good (Vinnie) to decent (Anderson & Pysyk) to awful (Buther, Hayden, Dell).  This last group, Comrie, and Lyubuskin, plus Stillman & Greenway at the deadline, have not dramatically upgraded the team with Comrie being awful, Bush decent, and the jury still out on the 2 deadline players.  

But what about Tuch and Krebs you say?  The difference is KA was selling the best player in the deal and as I said earlier he got excellent value.  

Now he is the buyer and this is a much different position than signing or trading for depth players or dumping the old core.  His only major buy was Hall and that was an abject failure from day 2 to the day he was traded for a 2nd and Bjork.  How he does a buyer this off-season is critical to getting the team the depth it needs to succeed next season.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think all his numbers are basically what Hagg gave us last year, except Hagg played 17 minutes to Bush's 15, and in only 48 games to Bush's 68, Hagg gave us similar totals in hits and blocks and a similar % of pt/gp.  Their advanced stats on Hockey-reference are nearly identical as well.  Sorry, I don't think Bush was much of an upgrade. 

I do agree KA needed to get at add more D depth last season.  Last off-season I asked for a top 4 defender and a depth player like Bush and all we got was Bush.

The needs heading into last season were the same as this off-season, getting a top 4 D man and a decent goalie. Instead, KA signed two band-aids.  

KA has shown he can get excellent value when trading away talent.  He has shown he can draft well and develop players.  I think he is doing a very good job locking in his core with a goal of smart cap management.  The only area where he has been a disappointment so far is outside player acquisition to upgrade holes in his NHL roster.  His first crop of Hall, Eakin, and Staal were busts.  His second group of Pysyk, Butcher, Dell, Hayden, Anderson, and Vinnie ranged from good (Vinnie) to decent (Anderson & Pysyk) to awful (Buther, Hayden, Dell).  This last group, Comrie, and Lyubuskin, plus Stillman & Greenway at the deadline, have not dramatically upgraded the team with Comrie being awful, Bush decent, and the jury still out on the 2 deadline players.  

But what about Tuch and Krebs you say?  The difference is KA was selling the best player in the deal and as I said earlier he got excellent value.  

Now he is the buyer and this is a much different position than signing or trading for depth players or dumping the old core.  His only major buy was Hall and that was an abject failure from day 2 to the day he was traded for a 2nd and Bjork.  How he does a buyer this off-season is critical to getting the team the depth it needs to succeed next season.  

I didn't mention Hagg at all. I said Boosh was a solid #5 defender. 

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But the point of an FA signing is usually to upgrade the roster.  I don't think Bush moved that needle.  KA could have accomplished the same thing by just retaining Hagg.

No the point of UFA is to fill holes on your roster. Sure that can mean upgrading but it can also mean downgrading or status quo. 

Also Boosh speaks russian... so it was an upgrade IMPO. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.