Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Personally don't see why people are afraid that guys like Dahlin and Power are going to level off well below their projected ceilings.  There is a reason both were selected 1st overall and neither looked like he was not going to at minimum come close to the original expectations through his 1st couple of years.  

Totally get that a guy like Myers (who lasted until 12OA for a reason even though he's bigger than either) plateaued.  But he exceeded early expectations and showed signs of tailing off to more what he was expected to be by the 2nd year.  He did not have the pedigree of either.

Power is special.  He is not Dahlin.  But the likelihood of a LT contract blowing up in their faces is slim; the likelihood of a ST deal blowing up in their faces is a lot higher.  IF he'll agree to it, lock him up now for 7-8 years and deal with the next contract then.  Power has played as a top pairing guy at every level since junior within his 1st year whereever he's been.  The case can be made he didn't do that in Buffalo, but is that accurate - if the Sabres were down in the last 2 minutes who was Dahlin paired with while they're trying to get that tying goal?  Yep, the youngest D-man on the roster.

I have no fear either way. I look at it as simply 2 strategies with some possible variables on both ends of the spectrum is all.

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

To be clear, bridging Powers is not Buffalo’s preference.

If Power’s Camp wants to go short term I wonder if the better option would be is to let the year play out and see what number they would be looking for long term next summer and see if the gap is closer between the two sides 

As a 10.2c RFA He doesn’t have arbitration rights and cannot receive an offer sheet so there is no risk 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If Power’s Camp wants to go short term I wonder if the better option would be is to let the year play out and see what number they would be looking for long term next summer and see if the gap is closer between the two sides 

As a 10.2c RFA He doesn’t have arbitration rights and cannot receive an offer sheet so there is no risk 

Hence the reason there is some hope of bridging the gap now. They have some leverage.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, tom webster said:

This is such a non story but like Chad, I feel the need to explain a little bit about how this works. 
These contracts are at least 90% boiler plate and 9% precedent driven. There really is not a lot to negotiate once term and AAV are agreed on. It’s why guys can sign five minutes after free agency begins. So when someone tells me that term and limit are in “non deal breaking territory” the deal is done.

The reason I was misinformed about the Ullmark deal is because Buffalo ultimately met his numbers only for Boston to swoop in after their plan A(Darcy Kuemper) became unavailable. It happens. There is nothing that can blow this deal up short of Rasmus blowing out a knee at an amusement park.

For what it’s worth, I’m hearing Owen is going to be a shorter deal. It really is the smart play for him unless Buffalo goes way high.

That’s too bad on Power’s deal being short, if that comes to pass.

- - - 

There shouldn’t be any angst with Dahlin because even the Ullmark situation was different. No one can swoop in and compete for Dahlin, whereas time was of the essence with Ullmark - there was always a chance that if KA negotiated for such a long time and failed to actually get pen to paper, another team could present an offer we didn’t feel like topping 

On 7/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, Taro T said:

It's smart for the player; not so much the Sabres.

Were they not in the middle of the Covid era when negotiating Dahlin's 2nd contract it likely would've been a LT deal.  But due to uncertainties about revenues, ownership didn't want to get locked into a LT deal where they might have to come up with some serious $$'s with no real cash coming in.  And, because it was right after 2 "down" years (by Ras' standards), he wasn't really pushing for the LT deal either.

From the team's standpoint, the 2 situations are significantly different IMHO.

Would have to think the Sabres prefer LT, ya. Suppose it just comes down to whether they’d pay enough to make it the option Power prefers, too

On 7/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, tom webster said:

To be clear, bridging Powers is not Buffalo’s preference.

Agree, they prefer to bridge Power

Edited by Thorny

On 7/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, Norcal said:

Adams should arrange to meet Dahlin somewhere of Rasmus choosing.

Sign and have a little presser wherever that is, beach, golf course, his family home etc.

It would’ve been great if while Dahlin was sitting on the throne, Princess Fiona wipped out a contract and a pen. 

• Haha (+1) 1

A) Hockey Ops is generally on vacation after free agency 

B) There are “good” times to announce these things

C) There is no impending deadline

When it makes sense to all parties relative to timing, travel, public relations, it will be announced.

Of course, it’s always possible Rasmus’ agent said, WTF, you said you were going to get a real goalie😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Bob Malooga said:

Nobody local ever breaks any news, for the Sabres or the Bills.

I believe it was established quite a while ago that this sentence is blatantly false. And moving goalposts doesn’t make it true either. “no body”  and “ever”. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I’m worried that Princess Fiona may have talked him out of it; “You must consider the taxes, Young Rasmus”. 

Being a Swedish citizen, young Rasmus is well acquainted with high income taxes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.