Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

How many really good players have walked in free agency?

To name 4: Briere, Drury, McKee, and Grier.

2 years or 8 years.  IMHO, anything which has Power becoming a UFA at 26 is ridiculously short-sighted.

An 8 year deal only eats 2 ufa years no?

I kind of like the way this Dahlin situation is working out if he signs for 8 years now.  3 year bridge and then 8 year deal.  We’re only projected to pay maybe $2 mil more per season (10 vs 6) and get to eat a bunch more ufa years.  

What’s the risk of going 3 years now with Owen and then 8 after that similar to Dahlin? Do we feel the cap is going to skyrocket and that’s the concern cine extension in 3 years?  The bridge and then long term deal would give us essentially 12 years of Owen rather than 9.  

Edited by Derrico

36 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I kind of like the way this Dahlin situation is working out if he signs for 8 years now.  3 year bridge and then 8 year deal.  We’re only projected to pay maybe $2 mil more per season (10 vs 6) and get to eat a bunch more ufa years.  

What’s the risk of going 3 years now with Owen and then 8 after that similar to Dahlin? Do we feel the cap is going to skyrocket and that’s the concern cine extension in 3 years?  The bridge and then long term deal would give us essentially 12 years of Owen rather than 9.  

The risk is the contract he would likely require post bridge. While Power could be signed now for 7-8 mil on a long term deal, if we wait 3 years on a bridge, that could jump to 11 if he develops how we want him to. That money could cost us an important player during those 9 years.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

That’s really up to Power and what he prefers to do. Might be smarter for him to take a bridge in favor of a monster deal later on when the cap is higher as well. 

I get that.  My Angry NS comment was if the Sabres CHOOSE to bridge.  I should have been more specific, but I think that many caught my drift.  Of course, we will likely never know who initiated a bridge deal.  I will go by KA's pattern lately of signing core players, I include Power in the core now as I did in the core 5 thread, to long-term deals. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

To name 4: Briere, Drury, McKee, and Grier.

2 years or 8 years.  IMHO, anything which has Power becoming a UFA at 26 is ridiculously short-sighted.

McKee and Grier were hockey decisions. Dumont as well. All BAD hockey decisions but hockey decisions nonetheless 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

If you count the players who have made it clear in their walk year that they weren’t going to re-sign and were then traded at the deadline, I think lots.

I disagree. I think you’d be hard pressed to find more then five top line forwards or top pair defenseman they changed teams due to contract negotiations in the last five years.

5 hours ago, Derrico said:

For my part I just care more about maxing our cap value over the next 5-7 seasons (3-7, specifically, when it’ll get way tighter) than I do about years 15-20 of our 30 year impending dynasty 

im not that fussed about protecting that year 12 of Power you mentioned until I see what we amount to in the...decade proceeding it. We seem to be protecting something we haven’t even built yet, protecting an idea 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

I mean just in the last year alone, Matthew Tkachuk, no?

There is one. 

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I believe we kept Kotalík over Dumont if I'm not correct. 

Yes, terrible decision.

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Huberdeau too.

Huberdeau wanted to stay.

I believe we kept Kotalík over Dumont if I'm not correct. 

Yep.  They (for whatever reason) made their decisions on how to proceed based upon the order of getting the arbitration decision.  By the time Dumont's rolled around, there was nothing left in the kitty.

Would be really interested in hearing from Regier at some point WHY they decided to make their decisions in that order.  Was it they really saw those guys as interchangable in value to the team; were they trying to not show favoritism to certain player/players to keep from upsetting the chemistry in the room; or was it something other?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  They (for whatever reason) made their decisions on how to proceed based upon the order of getting the arbitration decision.  By the time Dumont's rolled around, there was nothing left in the kitty.

Would be really interested in hearing from Regier at some point WHY they decided to make their decisions in that order.  Was it they really saw those guys as interchangable in value to the team; were they trying to not show favoritism to certain player/players to keep from upsetting the chemistry in the room; or was it something other?

I think, and I believe I have seen from credible sources (don't remember for sure though), that Quinn was heavily involved in the decisions of whom to re-sign and at what price in the debacle offseasons of 2006, 2007 and a couple of years thereafter.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think, and I believe I have seen from credible sources (don't remember for sure though), that Quinn was heavily involved in the decisions of whom to re-sign and at what price in the debacle offseasons of 2006, 2007 and a couple of years thereafter.

I hated that man for destroying everything the Sabres built  they would  have won at least 1 cup if it wasn't  For that weasel

Edited by Buffalonill

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I might have the same sources that you do because I have heard the same thing.

I hated that man for destroying everything the Sabres built  they would  have won at least 1 cup if it wasn't  For that weasel

That team may never get close (in Buffalo, anyway) if Quinn did not push for the Chris Drury trade.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp i can't believe this hasn't been announced.

Maybe it's not even close to being done 😕

There is no rush for this to happen.  He could not sign an extension until after July 1st.  Everybody, well you seem to be the only one panicing, needs to stay calm.

12 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp i can't believe this hasn't been announced.

Maybe it's not even close to being done 😕

It’s done.

It’s going to drop when fan anxiety over lack of a big move hits its peak, which, judging from what I’ve read here this morning might be coming soon.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/18/2023 at 5:11 PM, Marvin said:

I might have the same sources that you do because I have heard the same thing.

That team may never get close (in Buffalo, anyway) if Quinn did not push for the Chris Drury trade.

Wouldn't have got close with Nolan instead of Ruff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.