GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is not necessarily incorrect (neither of us know what the leagues recognized), but it does not point to the Stanley Cup being the most famous trophy in the world, either.

It's the best, though. It's the one that players dream of. Football players want to "win the Super Bowl," not win the Lombardi. Basketball players want to win the "NBA Championship", they certainly aren't dreaming of holding the Larry O'Brien trophy. Do golfers dream of the Wanamaker? I don't know.

With hockey, it's all about winning "the Stanley Cup." Not sure if that means anything, but,… there it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

One thing about the Stanley Cup: people may not know what the trophy is, but even its outline looks like a trophy -- and an impressive one at that.

Kinda looks like a Rook

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

It's the best, though. It's the one that players dream of. Football players want to "win the Super Bowl," not win the Lombardi. Basketball players want to win the "NBA Championship", they certainly aren't dreaming of holding the Larry O'Brien trophy. Do golfers dream of the Wanamaker? I don't know.

With hockey, it's all about winning "the Stanley Cup." Not sure if that means anything, but,… there it is.

The Green Jacket, man

Also NBA people do say Larry O’Brien a ton 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I don’t really like jackets 

That reminds me.  I bought my suits when I was 50 pounds heavier, including 7 inches more in the gut.  I need them tailored again or I need new ones.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don’t really like jackets 

And the Cup is better and more recognizable than the Jacket, anyway, so my point stands.

13 minutes ago, ... said:

This game will be going down to the wire the way it's going.

I want 4 OTs.

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Diet/exercise? 

It was a little bit of exercise, but nothing too pushy because I have long COVID: light workouts (beginner level) and walks.

Probably the biggest change was eliminating junk food snacks and eating fruit (sometimes with jello, ice cream, or very dark chocolate), cereal and milk, parathas, hummus yogurt, zatar bread, and the like.  I don't miss candy bars and such at all.

I also changed my diet by eliminating overly processed foods.  (Real bread and not normal American loafs; natural peanut butter and not the normal stuff; real cheese instead of cheese food/product; etc.)  I also eat a greater variety of food (fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, frozen meats) and pre-made stuff from the ethnic markets and the supermarket.  (For example, pre-made Thai peanut sauce or heat-and-eat kadhai paneer.)

When I eat out, I make sure that the high calorie, high fat, and high cholesterol foods are minimised or eliminated unless I am getting pizza and wings, weck and fries, and the like.

The important thing is that the food on this diet is stuff I like eating anyway, so it does not feel like a diet.  Thus, staying on it is effortless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Like SCOTUS Justice Potter once observed on a different subject: "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of sports markets that I understand to be embraced in this category ... but I know it when I see it."

South Florida in general is a bad sports town. The Heat and The U probably get the most dedicated support.

He was speaking on a far more interesting topic.. 🙂

12 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Equally surprising about the Bills 17 years of futility.

Its safe to say Buffalo is not a city of fairweather fans.

Aye. Not really commenting first on football at all though.  That said, I would say the fans are solid, especially for football.

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Put the Sabres teams of the last decade in Florida, Tampa, Dallas, Az, Anaheim, Carolina, and  those franchises would have folded. 

It’s amazing that Buffalo draws anything given the Pegula Era of hockey.  

May I infer from your statement that the fans are what makes an NHL market?  I was honestly asking, is it the fans, is it the team, the arena, the impact of location on the economics of the city? 

I was not slighting Buffalo, but using them as an example. Empty barn on weeknights and that's even with a 55% attendance jump over last year. The arena is crap and we all know it.

I don't think it's just the fans that make the market.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

May I infer from your statement that the fans are what makes an NHL market?  I was honestly asking, is it the fans, is it the team, the arena, the impact of location on the economics of the city? 

I was not slighting Buffalo, but using them as an example. Empty barn on weeknights and that's even with a 55% attendance jump over last year. The arena is crap and we all know it.

I don't think it's just the fans that make the market.

My point was that Buffalo cannot by evaluated as a poor market by its attendance and revenues without looking at the product. Especially when it had 40 prior years, many of which it was a hotbed fir hockey.  

Your question is a good one. I consider the team’s performance, the arena, the production experience, concessions - that’s all the product.   The owner is responsible for that.  

Dallas won by the skin of their teeth. Are we surprised McNabb cost them that goal?

Vegas will win this but neither team is a match for Florida. We could see a sweep in the SCFs.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

The Stanley Cup...

Is the most famous trophy in the sporting world 

Was first presented in 1893 

Is the oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes 

Logged more than 400,000 miles in travel during the past five seasons 

Has raised more than $4 million for charity the past three seasons 

Each winning player and team management member gets to take the Cup home for a day to share with family and friends 

Was crafted in Sheffield, England 

Was purchased for 10 guineas ($48.67 at the time) in 1892 

Weighs 35 pounds and stands just under three feet in height 

Is the only trophy in all of sport that is passed along from player to player the summer their team wins it. Some of the situations that the Stanley Cup has experienced include:

Being a guest of George Bush's and Bill Clinton's at the White House 

Appearing as guest on Late Show with David Letterman 

Being invited to opening day at Yankee Stadium 

Being a guest at the Kremlin in Moscow 

Being invited to opening ceremonies at Luzhniki Stadium in Russia 

Being used as a baptismal font 

Made an historic visit to an Aboriginal Metis Settlement

Is the only trophy in professional sports that has the names of winning players, coaches, management and club staff engraved on the silver chalice 

Has been won a record 24 times by the Montreal Canadiens and a record 11 times by Henri Richard of Montreal 

In the summer of 1997, the Stanley Cup traveled to Russia for the first time in its history. It was accompanied by Russian members of the Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings, including Slava Fetisov, Slava Kozlov and Igor Larionov 

In the spring of 1999, the Stanley Cup was among a list of Hollywood celebrities invited to take part in the 5K Celebrity Run Walk in Los Angeles for Women's Cancer Research 

Travels approximately 250 days per year 

Has appeared on talk shows, including Late Show with David Letterman, Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Meet the Press with Tim Russert, Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn, Late Night with Conan O'Brien 

It takes 13 years to fill the ring of the Stanley Cup with names of winners 

Once a bottom ring is full, another one of the same size is removed from the top of the base and retired at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto 

Names misspelled on the Stanley Cup -- Adam Deadmarsh was spelled Deadmarch -- but later was changed; the only misspelled name to be corrected 

Some other misspells on the Cup that never have been corrected: Jacques Plante's name has been misspelled five times, (incl. "Jocko," "Jack" and "Plant"); Bob Gainey was spelled "Gainy" when he was a player for Montreal in the 70s; Ted Kennedy was spelled "Kennedyy" in the 40s; New York Islanders was spelled "Ilanders" in 1980/81; the Toronto Maple Leafs was spelled "Leaes" in 1962/63; the Boston Bruins was spelled "Bqstqn" in 1972 

Name scratched out - "Basil Pocklington," father of former Edmonton Oilers owner, Peter, put his dad's name on the Stanley Cup in 1983/84; today, on the Cup, one can see a series of "Xs" over his name 

There is only one Stanley Cup -- authenticated by the seal of the Hockey Hall of Fame in the bottom of the Cup; this seal can be seen when winning players lift the Cup over their heads 

There is a second version of the Stanley Cup that remains in the Hall of Fame, which never travels, and is used for display purposes only at the Hall when the Stanley Cup is traveling; this Cup is perfect and has no misspells 

Places that the Stanley Cup has visited: Czech Republic, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Japan, Switzerland, the Bahamas 

Other interesting towns/cities that the Cup has visited: Fishing Lake, AB -- a Native reservation of the Metis Nation four hours from Edmonton; Anchorage, Alaska with Scott Gomez; Wawa, Ontario with Chris Simon 

The Stanley Cup has climbed Mt. Elbert in Colorado - 14,433 feet 

As a player, Henri Richard has won the most Stanley Cups with 11 

Overall, no one's name appears on the Stanley Cup more than Jean Beliveau. He has 17: 10 as a player and 7 as management 

In addition to the players' names and teams' names that have won the Stanley Cup, there are two other phrases on the upper bowl of the Stanley Cup. One side says: "Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup" and the other side says: "From Stanley Of Preston".

To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

The bolded is the "Eddie Olczyk rule."  He came close to meeting the regular season threshold but didn't come close to earning his way in the playoffs to have his name on the trophy when the Rags won it but because all the muckety mucks love the guy, the exception was born.

58 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My point was that Buffalo cannot by evaluated as a poor market by its attendance and revenues without looking at the product. Especially when it had 40 prior years, many of which it was a hotbed fir hockey.  

Your question is a good one. I consider the team’s performance, the arena, the production experience, concessions - that’s all the product.   The owner is responsible for that.  

To a large degree.  And interestingly, the Sabres are their only truly subpar franchise.  The Bills are a legit contender every year.  Likewise for the Bandits.  Their daughter is ranked in the top 10 (or at least she was) in tennis.  The Amerks are having their 2nd consecutive good playoff run.  And this version of the Kin-ig-hit Hawks made the playoffs in just their 3rd season.

One lesson for Buffalo is the difference in playoff hockey. Florida is putting on a clinic in their dump and chase style and cutting down in turnovers and errors. It is everything we were atrocious at last year. We have a long way to go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Kinda looks like a Rook

The Green Jacket, man

Also NBA people do say Larry O’Brien a ton 

I agree on the Stanley cup being the most sought after 'trophy'.

Its a 'lesser event' than a major, but in golf you have to consider the Ryder Cup.

In auto racing, among fans the "Harley Earl" trophy is pretty well known as what is given to the Daytona Winner,  and with the Indy 500 this weekend, the Borg-Warner Trophy has to be near the top.  But again to the points above, as famous as those trophies are in their sports, you are known as the 'Dayona 500 winner', not the Harley Earl Trophy winner.   So this still goes to the Stanley cup. 

The Ryder cup though?  The tournament is named after the trophy.

43 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

One lesson for Buffalo is the difference in playoff hockey. Florida is putting on a clinic in their dump and chase style and cutting down in turnovers and errors. It is everything we were atrocious at last year. We have a long way to go. 

Playoff hockey is different for sure, way more intense and physical.

Don’t forget that less than a year ago Colorado won the Cup playing a style closer to the Sabres than the Panthers. The intensity, hounding the puck, hitting, blocking shots was elevated though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2