GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

Great thread to revisit re: initial takes on Tkachuk and Huberdeau

On 7/23/2022 at 11:12 AM, Thorny said:

Even if they do lock Huberdeau up long term, it’ll be on the wrong side of 30. Florida gets a 100 point winger locked up through his prime years, instead. 

Florida gets better, don’t really like the deal for Calgary. Basically a rental they’ll likely need to flip 

Edited by Thorny

31 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Forsling has been good.

Forsling has been on the up and up for a couple seasons now. To think, the Blackhawks had him and Joker as a couple young D guys to build into a top 6 back in 2018-19. Both were maybe slightly undersized in terms of weight, but showed some potential. They jettisoned them both.

Later, they decided to completely tank (it worked).

The Stanley Cup...

Is the most famous trophy in the sporting world 

Was first presented in 1893 

Is the oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes 

Logged more than 400,000 miles in travel during the past five seasons 

Has raised more than $4 million for charity the past three seasons 

Each winning player and team management member gets to take the Cup home for a day to share with family and friends 

Was crafted in Sheffield, England 

Was purchased for 10 guineas ($48.67 at the time) in 1892 

Weighs 35 pounds and stands just under three feet in height 

Is the only trophy in all of sport that is passed along from player to player the summer their team wins it. Some of the situations that the Stanley Cup has experienced include:

Being a guest of George Bush's and Bill Clinton's at the White House 

Appearing as guest on Late Show with David Letterman 

Being invited to opening day at Yankee Stadium 

Being a guest at the Kremlin in Moscow 

Being invited to opening ceremonies at Luzhniki Stadium in Russia 

Being used as a baptismal font 

Made an historic visit to an Aboriginal Metis Settlement

Is the only trophy in professional sports that has the names of winning players, coaches, management and club staff engraved on the silver chalice 

Has been won a record 24 times by the Montreal Canadiens and a record 11 times by Henri Richard of Montreal 

In the summer of 1997, the Stanley Cup traveled to Russia for the first time in its history. It was accompanied by Russian members of the Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings, including Slava Fetisov, Slava Kozlov and Igor Larionov 

In the spring of 1999, the Stanley Cup was among a list of Hollywood celebrities invited to take part in the 5K Celebrity Run Walk in Los Angeles for Women's Cancer Research 

Travels approximately 250 days per year 

Has appeared on talk shows, including Late Show with David Letterman, Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Meet the Press with Tim Russert, Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn, Late Night with Conan O'Brien 

It takes 13 years to fill the ring of the Stanley Cup with names of winners 

Once a bottom ring is full, another one of the same size is removed from the top of the base and retired at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto 

Names misspelled on the Stanley Cup -- Adam Deadmarsh was spelled Deadmarch -- but later was changed; the only misspelled name to be corrected 

Some other misspells on the Cup that never have been corrected: Jacques Plante's name has been misspelled five times, (incl. "Jocko," "Jack" and "Plant"); Bob Gainey was spelled "Gainy" when he was a player for Montreal in the 70s; Ted Kennedy was spelled "Kennedyy" in the 40s; New York Islanders was spelled "Ilanders" in 1980/81; the Toronto Maple Leafs was spelled "Leaes" in 1962/63; the Boston Bruins was spelled "Bqstqn" in 1972 

Name scratched out - "Basil Pocklington," father of former Edmonton Oilers owner, Peter, put his dad's name on the Stanley Cup in 1983/84; today, on the Cup, one can see a series of "Xs" over his name 

There is only one Stanley Cup -- authenticated by the seal of the Hockey Hall of Fame in the bottom of the Cup; this seal can be seen when winning players lift the Cup over their heads 

There is a second version of the Stanley Cup that remains in the Hall of Fame, which never travels, and is used for display purposes only at the Hall when the Stanley Cup is traveling; this Cup is perfect and has no misspells 

Places that the Stanley Cup has visited: Czech Republic, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Japan, Switzerland, the Bahamas 

Other interesting towns/cities that the Cup has visited: Fishing Lake, AB -- a Native reservation of the Metis Nation four hours from Edmonton; Anchorage, Alaska with Scott Gomez; Wawa, Ontario with Chris Simon 

The Stanley Cup has climbed Mt. Elbert in Colorado - 14,433 feet 

As a player, Henri Richard has won the most Stanley Cups with 11 

Overall, no one's name appears on the Stanley Cup more than Jean Beliveau. He has 17: 10 as a player and 7 as management 

In addition to the players' names and teams' names that have won the Stanley Cup, there are two other phrases on the upper bowl of the Stanley Cup. One side says: "Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup" and the other side says: "From Stanley Of Preston".

To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Crazy that every semi final series in the NHL and NBA could be a sweep if Vegas completes theirs tonight.

Umm...no.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

The Stanley Cup...

Is the most famous trophy in the sporting world 

Umm...also no.  Not even close.  You've got the Jules Verne trophy, the Ashes urn, and the Olympic Gold to contend with, just for starters.  I also would venture that the Lombardi Trophy is more famous.

Edited by Eleven

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Umm...no.

Umm...also no.  Not even close.  You've got the Jules Verne trophy, the Ashes urn, and the Olympic Gold to contend with, just for starters.  I also would venture that the Lombardi Trophy is more famous.

Not outside the United States it isn't. 

• Agree 1

When I was in the UK, people didn’t even know who Wayne Gretzky was. FIFA World Cup trophy is definitely more famous, just for one. Stanley is the best, though, imo. You get your name on it 

On a separate note: a lot of people are saying Bobrovsky wins the Smythe even if they lose in the final. Gotta say, don’t see it 

• Like (+1) 1

Omigosh Steve Levy looks like a young Rex Ryan with this haircut.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not outside the United States it isn't. 

Than the Stanley Cup?  I'd bet on it.  They watch the Super Bowl in lots of countries that don't have hockey.  And regardless, the Cup is hardly the most famous trophy in the world, which was the point.  I know you like nuance over point, but come on.

Edited by Eleven

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I might put the plate and trophy from Wimbledon on par with the Stanley Cup.

Good call. My post was definitely "for starters."  The Jules Verne is known worldwide; the Ashes urn is known in every cricketing country (which includes the most populous or second most populous country in the world, depending on whether India surpassed China last month) and etc. etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Good call. My post was definitely "for starters."  The Jules Verne is known worldwide; the Ashes urn is known in every cricketing country (which includes the most populous or second most populous country in the world, depending on whether India surpassed China last month) and etc. etc. 

I personally don’t know those trophies. I’m dead serious. I know the Stanley Cup. The Super Bowl trophy (Lombardi?) And yea, the Wimbledon plate one. (Don’t know the name) The MLB trophy (don’t remember the name). The NBA trophy (don’t know the name). Does NASCAR have a trophy?

I don’t think I’m unique in not knowing the names of all the trophies of all the major or lower league sports stateside let alone sports trophies around the world. 

36 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I personally don’t know those trophies. I’m dead serious. I know the Stanley Cup. The Super Bowl trophy (Lombardi?) And yea, the Wimbledon plate one. (Don’t know the name) The MLB trophy (don’t remember the name). The NBA trophy (don’t know the name). Does NASCAR have a trophy?

I don’t think I’m unique in not knowing the names of all the trophies of all the major or lower league sports stateside let alone sports trophies around the world. 

I understand.  But it's not about you, personally.  It's about whether the Stanley Cup is the most recognized trophy world-wide, or, in your words, "the most famous trophy in the sporting world" and it isn't.  It isn't even close.

You can google the others and see why.

Edited by Eleven

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I understand.  But it's not about you, personally.  It's about whether the Stanley Cup is the most recognized trophy world-wide, or, in your words, "the most famous trophy in the sporting world" and it isn't.  It isn't even close.

Those definitely were not my words by the way… I copied and pasted that from nhl.com 😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I bet it's close.

And all the American trophies came after, once those leagues recognized the branding power of the Stanley Cup.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And all the American trophies came after, once those leagues recognized the branding power of the Stanley Cup.

This is not necessarily incorrect (neither of us know what the leagues recognized), but it does not point to the Stanley Cup being the most famous trophy in the world, either.