GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure "fun" is the right word when they all seem to be doing better but maybe it does saying something. 

Maybe try to come up with the list of players who left Buffalo over the last say 10 years and did WORSE. 

I can't actually think of anybody at the moment. I mean Bogo was still playing and even won a cup, Risto isn't good, but he's slightly better than he was here (but still not good). E-Rod was playing with McKinnon. Colin Miller's still in the playoffs (at least for another game). All I got is Will Butcher. No idea where he is. 

Everybody who leaves does seem to do better. 

Team success maybe. But that is kinda a given because most players that leave here to go other teams.

Individual success/production, not really. Eichel's stats/production is lower in Vegas than it was here, and honestly, the team isn't much (if any) better overall than before he was there.  Reinhart is doing well, but his production again, isn't much better than it was when he was here. Risto?  He is getting a lot less playing time in Philly than he did here.  The big issue is there weren't many players that were good here that left.  ROR?  Again, went to a better team but his production wasn't much better, it was the case of taking a good player and inserting him to a better team.  The list of the next highest producing players for the last decade or so that left is:  Evander Kane, Tyler Ennis, Johan Larsson, Marcus Foligno, Jake McCabe, Evan Rodriguez, Bogo, Sheary, Asplund, Scandella, Montour, Colin Miller.  That list is a who's Who of mostly players that were not that great to begin with.  

This team had some big problems the last 10-15 years. Bad managment, bad coaching, bad scouting, and a bad roster of players. A LOT went wrong here.

Edited by mjd1001

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regarding that first line of the post I quoted, was I only supposed to address the issue as it pertains to the ignore feature and not the part about you being proven correct? Like I said, I must have missed some context as it relates to your exchanges with other forum members as they relate to the ignore feature. But I’m not interested in that anyway, only about the part about being proven correct about Eichel. 

Anyway, glad you proved yourself correct after altering your takes. 

Again, You aren’t missing context you just aren’t reading what I wrote

I said: the “I was correct about Eichel” thing was half *tongue in cheek*. Fact is, I *was* right about a lot. I was right he’d excel with a new team, I was right he wasn’t a cancer that prevented winning, I was right that his chosen surgery course was the correct path.

The rub is that I was wrong when I said Adams shouldn’t trade him. I was wrong when I said Adams was focusing too much on culture. I was wrong about a lot along the way. The irony is that my Eichel takes are being painted as rigid, when in reality, the reason they are so accurate, *nowadays* is because I’ve had to shift my stances over time. Yes, in a world where Zamboni believes no one is capable of having their opinion swayed.

thats the point. As the guy who’s perceived arguments are benefiting the MOST from this current Eichel run, where’s he’s proven he can be the best player/tied for the best player on a great team, where it’d be easy for me to sit and laugh and quote tweet all the truly horrendous takes that have been forgotten over the years (S), I’m sitting here saying i was wrong about a lot. And I’ve been saying that for a year! Check the “I was wrong about...” thread! I have, honestly, seen zero move towards the middle from the other side. When, let’s be real, their takes need it more than mine.

that I had to shift my stances for them to be correct is the point I am making. I wasn’t right all along. But being able to shift your stances is what makes all this discussion worth it

or, just use the ignore feature. whichever. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Just how we planned it

---------------------------

Ignoring Thorny is lame. He's probably the funniest and smartest guy here 

I think most would agree YOU are the funniest, for merely suggesting the bolded. 

in seriousness, while the bold is, truly, wildly inaccurate, I will indulge you in the first bit. The italicized. I think a lot of what I do here on that front gets missed, or mistaken for something else entirely 

Love ya, though. You are kind. I hope your milk is fully stocked because I’m not really interested in the alternative 

Edited by Thorny

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I said: the “I was correct about Eichel” thing was half *tongue in cheek*. Fact is, I *was* right about a lot. I was right he’d excel with a new team, I was right he wasn’t a cancer that prevented winning, I was right that his chosen surgery course was the correct path.

The rub is that I was wrong when I said Adams shouldn’t trade him. I was wrong when I said Adams was focusing too much on culture. I was wrong about a lot along the way. The irony is that my Eichel takes are being painted as rigid, when in reality, the reason they are so accurate, *nowadays* is because I’ve had to shift my stances over time. Yes, in a world where Zamboni believes no one is capable of having their opinion swayed.

thats the point. As the guy who’s perceived arguments are benefiting the MOST from this current Eichel run, where’s he’s proven he can be the best player/tied for the best player on a great team, where it’d be easy for me to sit and laugh and quote tweet all the truly horrendous takes that have been forgotten over the years (S), I’m sitting here saying i was wrong about a lot. And I’ve been saying that for a year! Check the “I was wrong about...” thread! I have, honestly, seen zero move towards the middle from the other side. When, let’s be real, their takes need it more than mine.

that I had to shift my stances for them to be correct is the point I am making. I wasn’t right all along. But being able to shift your stances is what makes all this discussion worth it

Just so you understand, my comments weren’t meant to mean Eichel never could be a Top player or lead a team to success but rather he wouldn’t of led us to success specifically; after the first couple years that is. He was a monster/cancer in this locker room but not necessarily a cancer everywhere he could go. Do you understand what I’m trying to say here? It’s kind of hard to describe lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Just so you understand, my comments weren’t meant to mean Eichel never could be a Top player or lead a team to success but rather he wouldn’t of led us to success specifically; after the first couple years that is. He was a monster/cancer in this locker room but not necessarily a cancer everywhere he could go. Do you understand what I’m trying to say here? It’s kind of hard to describe lol

I got you.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Thanks for the clarification, but I didn’t get much, if any of that, from reading just the first line of the post I responded to as you suggested I needed to do in order to understand what you were saying. I was missing some valuable context, so again, thanks for providing it. 

It’s a good thing we can be wrong about things initially, change our perspective, and correct ourselves. It’s imperative for a growth mindset. 

Not for nothing, but for someone who previously professed to never dismiss anyone, your last sentence comes across as very dismissive indeed. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Thanks for the clarification, but I didn’t get much, if any of that, from reading just the first line of the post I responded to as you suggested I needed to do in order to understand what you were saying. I was missing some valuable context, so again, thanks for providing it. 

It’s a good thing we can be wrong about things initially, change our perspective, and correct ourselves. It’s imperative for a growth mindset. 

Not for nothing, but for someone who previously professed to never dismiss anyone, your last sentence comes across as very dismissive indeed. 

Dude, re the bold, you aren’t going to catch me in a “gotcha”. A throwaway line at the end, tantamount to a send-up of people, not who use the ignore feature, but who feel the need to bleat on about how often they use it, doesn’t do anything to take away from the paragraphs I typed, for you, to explain my position *at your request.*. *while* others are suggesting (as a joke) more Ignore usage presumably because of how much of the thread the discussion is taking up. 

I can’t win 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dude, re the bold, you aren’t going to catch me in a “gotcha”. A throwaway line at the end, tantamount to a send-up of people, not who use the ignore feature, but who feel the need to bleat on about how often they use it, doesn’t do anything to take away from the paragraphs I typed, for you, to explain my position *at your request.*. *while* others are suggesting (as a joke) more Ignore usage presumably because of how much of the thread the discussion is taking up. 

I can’t win 

I don’t deal in gotchas. I found it dismissive. Simple as that. 

And I already thanked you for the clarification you provided in those paragraphs you typed, for me, *at my request.* 

I’m out.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sadly Eichel is in the 3rd round so talking about him isn't "completely" off topic. 

How bout Benn though eh? 

Total brain fart.  Dahell, man; people expect better out of the captain.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:
3 hours ago, Thorny said:

So you refuse to listen to what I’m saying 

alright 

Can....

Yes @Thorny, I am.  That's how Ignore works  😉

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I agree with your take on how you evaluated Eichel.  I will add that had Eichel gone to another team in an early rebuilding  state he might still look like Buffalo Jack.  Vegas Jack benefits greatly from the veteran leadership on that team. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1