GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I feel like you are explaining it though. 

I'd like to blame fans for their lack of positivity and how it drives up all the negative energy surrounding the team such that the spirits drawn to the Buffalo area are those who thrive on misery.

If everyone just cheer up a bit and stop hating on ex-players perhaps the more positive spirits would be drawn to Buffalo and then the fans could feel joy.

Definitely a curse. 🙂

Eichel was the embodiment of the Buffalo curse.  When he was sent away, things got better in Buffalo.  I'm not saying that Eichel is a bad guy, just that he has a curse over his head.

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:
1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Dalpe 

Okay - I have zero memory of that guy.

He was a JAG that was only with the team briefly.

34 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is it acceptable to have always thought (from the time he was drafted) that Eichel had a cocky, arrogant, unlikeable personality, And that personality rubs me the wrong way? Is that ok? I think it is. 

And now that he no longer wears the sweater of the team I am a fan of, paired with the first interview he gave after he played in Buffalo as a Knight, had caused me to like him even less? Is that ok? Is it OK that I don’t want him to succeed in his career? Or is that too insensitive and hurts fans of Eichels feelings? Good grief.

When he was a Sabre... he was an ass but he was our ass.

Now he's just an ass.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Imagine your team gets to the conference finals, and then the captain does something as awful and stupid as what Benn did last night, and THEN, on top of that, imagine him refusing to speak to the media in the post game and then further refusing to own what he did the next day?

Reminds me of something less malicious that Shawn Burr did in the 1995 Finals (if I'm recalling correctly)... As a member of the Red Wings he was behind the NJ net and collided with one of the Devils, who dropped his stick.  He handed the Devil his stick and NJ went down the ice and that Devils player either scored or had an assist on a Devils goal.  Burr was basically done in Detroit after that... traded to Tampa in offseason.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Is it acceptable to have always thought (from the time he was drafted) that Eichel had a cocky, arrogant, unlikeable personality, And that personality rubs me the wrong way? Is that ok? I think it is. 

And now that he no longer wears the sweater of the team I am a fan of, paired with the first interview he gave after he played in Buffalo as a Knight, had caused me to like him even less? Is that ok? Is it OK that I don’t want him to succeed in his career? Or is that too insensitive and hurts fans of Eichels feelings? Good grief.

Totally valid, and I feel the same way. Ex-Sabres going to win the cup one way or another just like ROR all over again. Might not matter, but I can't think it helps this franchise when you see a "leave and succeed" thing happening over and over again. 

When they hired Cassidy there was a whole good luck to them with Cassidy vs. Eichel talked about a lot but here we see Eichel in line, Cassidy in charge, Eichel back checking even. imo three things factor in.

1. Cassidy is a good coach, and we didn't have good coaches during Eichel's time here. That's on the Sabres.

2. Eichel isn't captain/leader of Vegas. Stone is their leader. There are other leaders like Pieterangelo. Cup winners. It's a better team around him so he doesn't have to be the main guy every single night. Thus he plays more relaxed and better. If we'd named ROR captain and had better veteran leadership maybe he'd have developed differently. That's also on the Sabres.

3. Eichel was an arrogant and cocky a-hole kid as noted. Maybe after the trade, the derision, the negative comments from multiple directions, maybe he's reached a level of maturity where he knows he has to give more effort and he is. This is his chance to show what he can be and he's doing it. Maturity. I'd prefer to believe it's that and not just getting away from Buffalo. I still suspect the a-hole is in there and if he wins it all it might come back out but at the moment he's playing the system and listening to the coach and thus, winning.  That's not on the Sabres.

In sum, I'd say the Sabres failed as an organization in elevating a cocky a-hole kid into second coming status and giving him too much say and power. A stronger organization with a deeper solid culture might have made him a different player sooner and succeeded with him. Hopefully we will have that soon, if we don't already and will do it properly with any future "stars" we bring in. 

Or to put it simply, you never let the inmates run the asylum. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Oh I think he's a great guy.  He just talks about Eichel too much.

And it's the same conversation over and over.

That the ignore feature as a discussion point is now entering the fray, only once I’ve been proven correct, says all you need to know 

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

That’s a good way to use the feature. I use it a little differently. Once I put someone on ignore it’s for good. Their opinions and takes are so inconsequential to my enjoyment of the forum that I will never need to engage with them again. And everyone here has strong opinions, so much so, that no one ever changes anyone’s mind about anything. So it’s people are stating their opinion (sometimes confused with facts) about a topic. Not really for debating or influencing. At least that’s how I see it. But I can certainly understand your use of the ignore feature with taking a break from posters at certain times 👍🏼

Ultimate projection ^. That’s a sad way to see SS. I see people changing their minds all the time. It’s a fantastic place for discussion and debate. Perhaps Doohickie and others feels it’s “the same convo over and over” on JE because of the rigid stances they themselves have: anyone who reads my posts can see my stance on JE has changed significantly over time. From saying Adams was wrong to trade him, to saying it was the correct decision. If the fact the guy, who defends Eichel more than anyone else, himself admits the trade was a good one, doesn’t say something to you: you aren’t listening, you don’t care to listen, you are just plowing forward with blinders for the world on.

More less like a zamboni

- - - 

I won’t ever put anyone on ignore because I’m not afraid to have my opinions challenged. Even Zamboni, who posts seemingly exclusively to express to other posters how much more high minded he is than all the other lowly fans, hasn’t achieved that distinction. No doubt I’ve met the axe on his, self-admitted echo chamber end.

Edited by Thorny

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That the ignore feature as a discussion point is now entering the fray, only once I’ve been proven correct, says all you need to know 

Proven correct about what, exactly? That Eichel is a great hockey player? 

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Proven correct about what, exactly? That Eichel is a great hockey player? 

Do you have any idea how many people said he was a cancer you couldn’t win with? If that wasn’t you, no need to feel “seen” by my posts on JE

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do you have any idea how many people said he was a cancer you couldn’t win with? If that wasn’t you, no need to feel “seen” by my posts on JE

I personally never said he was a cancer that you couldn't win with.  I thought he was overrated when he was here, and he would best fit on a team where he isn't the clear cut 'guy' and 'captain....but rather ONE of the top players but not THE top player.  I also never thought he was a top 10 player in the league, maybe a top 25 or 30 guy.  From what I have seen in these playoffs, nothing has  changed my opinion on him up or down.

And yes, I love the continued talk about Eichel and other former key players on this team.  I know some hate it and want to move on, but seeing how former key players on this team do on other teams...that is part of the fun of being a fan.

Edited by mjd1001

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

its half tongue and cheek, anyways. *Which people keep missing.* I have altered my stance on JE over time. That’s the hilarious rub: my takes on JE are accurate only because *ive altered them*. The exact opposite of the rigidity people are claiming by saying I “talk about it too much”

Edited by Thorny

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I personally never said he was a cancer that you couldn't win with.  I thought he was overrated when he was here, and he would best fit on a team where he isn't the clear cut 'guy' and 'captain....but rather ONE of the top players but not THE top player.  I also never thought he was a top 10 player in the league, maybe a top 25 or 30 guy.  From what I have seen in these playoffs, nothing has  changed my opinion on him up or down.

He’s their best player/ among their best 3 players. That’s what a winning team looks like. THAT IS THE POINT

Malkin was as good as Crosby when Crosby was winning Smythes! That people are *still* not grasping this is why I remain. This isn’t about Jack Eichel. Never was. It’s about *hockey*. 

Until people see this I’ll keep going 

To win, ANY player ALWAYS needs to be just *one of a number*. The Sabres failed not by casting Eichel as “clear cut guy”, but rather because they cast, anyone, as clear cut guy. 

Edited by Thorny

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

its half tongue and cheek, anyways. *Which people keep missing.* I have altered my stance on JE over time. That’s the hilarious rub: my takes on JE are accurate only because *ive altered them*. The exact opposite of the rigidity people are claiming by saying I “talk about it too much”

So you’ve proven yourself correct to yourself then? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

And yes, I love the continued talk about Eichel and other former key players on this team.  I know some hate it and want to move on, but seeing how former key players on this team do on other teams...that is part of the fun of being a fan.

I'm not sure "fun" is the right word when they all seem to be doing better but maybe it does saying something. 

Maybe try to come up with the list of players who left Buffalo over the last say 10 years and did WORSE. 

I can't actually think of anybody at the moment. I mean Bogo was still playing and even won a cup, Risto isn't good, but he's slightly better than he was here (but still not good). E-Rod was playing with McKinnon. Colin Miller's still in the playoffs (at least for another game). All I got is Will Butcher. No idea where he is. 

Everybody who leaves does seem to do better. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure "fun" is the right word when they all seem to be doing better but maybe it does saying something. 

Maybe try to come up with the list of players who left Buffalo over the last say 10 years and did WORSE. 

I can't actually think of anybody at the moment. I mean Bogo was still playing and even won a cup, Risto isn't good, but he's slightly better than he was here (but still not good). E-Rod was playing with McKinnon. Colin Miller's still in the playoffs (at least for another game). All I got is Will Butcher. No idea where he is. 

Everybody who leaves does seem to do better. 

Tyler Myers? 

Chris Drury? (Not in last 10, but)

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So you refuse to listen to what I’m saying 

alright 

Can you clarify please? Because I thought you initially said you’ve been proven correct about Eichel and then in a later post you said you were accurate about him only because you altered your takes. If I sound like I am “refusing to listen” perhaps it’s because I’m unclear on what, exactly, it is I’m listening to. There’s a good chance I’ve missed some context because I haven’t read every single one of your posts or the responses to them by other forum members. 

But hey, if it’s easier for you to simply dismiss me with an “alright” well then, alright. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can you clarify please? Because I thought you initially said you’ve been proven correct about Eichel and then in a later post you said you were accurate about him only because you altered your takes. If I sound like I am “refusing to listen” perhaps it’s because I’m unclear on what, exactly, it is I’m listening to. There’s a good chance I’ve missed some context because I haven’t read every single one of your posts or the responses to them by other forum members. 

But hey, if it’s easier for you to simply dismiss me with an “alright” well then, alright. 

Read the literal post you quoted 

the first line 

- - - 

I don’t dismiss *anyone* 

I don’t block anyone 

I’m not Zamboni 

I have over 30 000 posts in 8 years. More than any poster (?) over a stretch of that length. I am here to engage

Edited by Thorny

On 5/23/2023 at 4:55 PM, Thorny said:

He did 

Yes, he did.  He's a very good player.  But he isn't going to take a team and put it on his back.  He can just play his role and be very successful at it in the South Florida Swamps.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yes, he did.  He's a very good player.  But he isn't going to take a team and put it on his back.  He can just play his role and be very successful at it in the South Florida Swamps.

In the NHL, the successful teams are the ones that are full of, made up exclusively of, players who merely need to “play their role.” If you are counting on someone to “put the team on their back”, regularly, in a sport where your best skater can only play about a 3rd of the game, you haven’t built a successful formula 

Sometimes goalie is an exception but even that has its limits 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

In the NHL, the successful teams are the ones that are full of, made up exclusively of, players who merely need to “play their role.” If you are counting on someone to “put the team on their back”, regularly, in a sport where your best skater can only play about a 3rd of the game, you haven’t built a successful formula 

Sometimes goalie is an exception but even that has its limits 

Absolutely.  And it's why these guys that were such a part of the "losing culture" in Buffalo can now be successful in their next stop.  There's a reason these guys were 2nd overall draft picks.  They're really good hockey players.  But this sport isn't like basketball where a single stud player can turn the tide seemingly on his own.  (Though Hasek sure did come close.  Maybe someday they'll finish game 6 and if somebody scores again for him we can find out if he can get them that last game they need beyond that one. 😉)

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Read the literal post you quoted 

the first line 

- - - 

I don’t dismiss *anyone* 

I don’t block anyone 

I’m not Zamboni 

I have over 30 000 posts in 8 years. More than any poster (?) over a stretch of that length. I am here to engage

Regarding that first line of the post I quoted, was I only supposed to address the issue as it pertains to the ignore feature and not the part about you being proven correct? Like I said, I must have missed some context as it relates to your exchanges with other forum members as they relate to the ignore feature. But I’m not interested in that anyway, only about the part about being proven correct about Eichel. 

Anyway, glad you proved yourself correct after altering your takes.