Potential Players available summer 2023

North Buffalo

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

But you not caring doesn't really mean a whole lot.  Adams caring would.

I guess I'm saying "if I was him". There is the question in my mind, will he start to spend next year or will this remain a cap floor team for longer. If he is willing to spend, doing something to get Gryzelyk  would be a great idea. 

Besides, Reilly isn't a total scrub. He's better than Bryson, Pilut or Clague. 

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I guess I'm saying "if I was him". There is the question in my mind, will he start to spend next year or will this remain a cap floor team for longer. If he is willing to spend, doing something to get Gryzelyk  would be a great idea. 

Besides, Reilly isn't a total scrub. He's better than Bryson, Pilut or Clague. 

I think things are starting to become clearer on that front.

Next fall adding the raises of Tage, Mule and Cozens puts them at $19 million under the cap with 5 rosters spots open, so they can easily afford upgrades, but also will easily be over the floor.

The issue is the fall of 2024, when they will have to give raises to Krebs, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, Power and Dahlin. It’s not unreasonable to think they will have to keep maybe $15 million ish  open to re-sign or replace them.

So they can add to their cap this summer, but it will have to be judiciously - either not too much, or short-term.

They’ll be cap team in 24-25 whether they make big moves or not, so they will have to make calls on who they extend, and making some of those calls this summer (read Dahlin, Power) will certainly give them better clarity on what else they can do.

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think things are starting to become clearer on that front.

Next fall adding the raises of Tage, Mule and Cozens puts them at $19 million under the cap with 5 rosters spots open, so they can easily afford upgrades, but also will easily be over the floor.

The issue is the fall of 2024, when they will have to give raises to Krebs, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, Power and Dahlin. It’s not unreasonable to think they will have to keep maybe $15 million ish  open to re-sign or replace them.

So they can add to their cap this summer, but it will have to be judiciously - either not too much, or short-term.

They’ll be cap team in 24-25 whether they make big moves or not, so they will have to make calls on who they extend, and making some of those calls this summer (read Dahlin, Power) will certainly give them better clarity on what else they can do.

Well sure, and Dahlin will want some big money, but there's not much they have to deal with outside of what every team deals with. I mean eventually if ALL your prospects are great you end up with too much talent and you'll have to move somebody out in order to pay somebody else. But this is why one or two salaries like Reilly next year don't matter (to the future of the team) as they will come off the books when they need the money for Dahlin etc.  even if the cap doesn't go up (although it probably will). Remember also Kyle comes off the books and if they move VO out for a pick or a prospect that will of course be even more room. 

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well sure, and Dahlin will want some big money, but there's not much they have to deal with outside of what every team deals with. I mean eventually if ALL your prospects are great you end up with too much talent and you'll have to move somebody out in order to pay somebody else. But this is why one or two salaries like Reilly next year don't matter (to the future of the team) as they will come off the books when they need the money for Dahlin etc.  even if the cap doesn't go up (although it probably will). Remember also Kyle comes off the books and if they move VO out for a pick or a prospect that will of course be even more room. 

The 19 million in space next fall includes Okposo, Girgensons, Hinostroza, Anderson and Jost’s contracts coming off the books. Re-signing or replacing them eats into that 19 million, even if it is just with ELC contracts and/or minimum wage guys.

The bold is exactly what I am talking about: the five young guys I listed are all going to get paid by someone. The question facing the Sabres is will the Sabres pay them, or will they spend that money on somebody else? I think they already made the decision with Olofsson that they are going to pay somebody else.

Personally, I see room for a $4 or $5 million defenceman with term, but anybody else they add will on an expiring contract or a very cheap one until they know what Dahlin and Power are going to cost because those guys are definitely core.

And I doubt they will be close to the cap.

But they won’t be at the floor. They’re already over it and they still have at least 4 or 5 players to sign.

Edited by dudacek

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

The 19 million in space next fall includes Okposo, Girgensons, Hinostroza, Anderson and Jost’s contracts coming off the books. Re-signing or replacing them eats into that 19 million, even if it is just with ELC contracts and/or minimum wage guys.

The bold is exactly what I am talking about: the five young guys I listed are all going to get paid by someone. The question facing the Sabres is will the Sabres pay them, or will they spend that money on somebody else? I think they already made the decision with Olofsson that they are going to pay somebody else.

Personally, I see room for a $4 or $5 million defenceman with term, but anybody else they add will on an expiring contract or a very cheap one until they know what Dahlin and Power are going to cost because those guys are definitely core.

But they won’t be at the floor. They’re already over it and they still have at least 4 or 5 players to sign.

You’re forgetting that once VO is traded you’ll clear an additional 4.75.  

The cap cost for a status quo roster is approximately 68 million.  That includes VO, Bryson, Comrie, and UPL, plus re-signing RFAs Rousek and Jost, but walking from all UFAs.  

Dumping VO, UPL, Comrie and Bryson potentially clears around another 9.3.  There is plenty of money to fix the roster by adding 2 D, a vet Goalie and even a 2 way center. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I keep hearing that cap will rise significantly with the good attendance this pasy season in the league...that'll give teams some extra wiggle-room to stay out of cap-hell (althoug some teams will be there either way which is hopefully where we can jump in and get a good steady physcial d-man) 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2023/03/15/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-outlines-path-to-potential-salary-cap-spike-for-2023-24-season/amp/

this article sums it up that increases are coming, but it isn’t likely to be next year.  

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Define “next” fall and “next” year 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:53 AM, tom webster said:

It’s interesting to me that Wilson, Compher and Hanifan are names that I keep hearing being mentioned in connection with Buffalo. It might not end up being the actual player, but everyone seems to be targeting three skill sets; 1) defensive first center with some skill, 2) rugged winger with skill, 3) top 4 defenseman.

It's no secret we need to get more defensive minded and a heck of alot more physical. Plus Jokiharju should not be a top 4 defensemen, we need a guy and I'm not sure Hanifin is even available but if he is he'd be a great get imo.

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm going to keep on this one up until he signs elsewhere. 

Conor Clifton. 

47 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Does this 5’11” foot, 190 pounder play about his weight? I haven’t paid him that much attention. 

Unquestionably. He led the Bruins in hits. 

Not big, but tougher than any D man we have now. He'd be a good compliment/pairing with Power for a few years while we (hopefully) draft and develop a young Samuelsson V2 at which time he could drop down to the third pairing if he was given long term. 

He's under the radar to the extreme. Bruins have thought he was too small for years and brought in other guys but Clifton keeps beating people out and keeping his job. They won't be able to pay him anything reasonable though so he can be obtained I would think. 

Sure, I'd rather they signed Orlov, but that'd be expensive. Clifton is a high return bargain. 

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely need a top 4 defenseman. 

Imo, we have 3 bonafide starting calibre defensemen. Joki and Bushkin are serviceable. But they are 5-6 at best. 

A top tier D is essential, imo. 

A two way forward (center or wing) is also significantly important. A two-way center would be nice; but I'd take a two-way forward as well. 

On 4/15/2023 at 9:02 PM, North Buffalo said:

Thought itd be a good discussion

Saw this on TSN

Garrioch: DeBrincat has ‘no inclination’ of signing with Senators, could be moved at draft 

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1945897

Not sure what kind of 2-way player he is. For what he'll cost he needs to hustle on the backcheck. I believe we finished 3rd in league scoring but near the bottom in goals against so all facets of defensive play must improve for us to take the next step.

17 minutes ago, Mr Mellow said:

Not sure what kind of 2-way player he is. For what he'll cost he needs to hustle on the backcheck. I believe we finished 3rd in league scoring but near the bottom in goals against so all facets of defensive play must improve for us to take the next step.

We allowed the third most goals in franchise history, just the third sabre team to allow 300, first since the mid/late 80s

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.