Potential Players available summer 2023

North Buffalo

9 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I liked RHD Matt Dumba before and I like him better now, he''s the bruiser we need in front of Levi. Or off to the side of Levi? You know what I mean. 

Was making 6 Mil a year for 5 years. If he expects that again, it's a pass. Sabres have to give Tuch, Power and more new contracts soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Was making 6 Mil a year for 5 years. If he expects that again, it's a pass. Sabres have to give Tuch, Power and more new contracts soon. 

Tuch is signed through the 25/26 season.

If KA pursues Dumba, he would have intel from Greenway and Jost. Dumba would have access to culture intel from those two as well.

The Wild didn’t move him at the deadline despite his UFA status. Their playoff run depended on him being there.

27 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

the 2024/25 Salary cap will have huge implications on who they can and can not sign as a UFA this offseason.

In a philosophical way, yes.  But, considering the cap for that season won't be known until the end of the next season (and won't be known on a ballpark basis until the middle of next season), it can't have "huge" implications on who they can and cannot sign this off-season.

They should be planning for a modest increase in the cap that season (though it could be a Billy Fuscillo  HUGE increase) and basing their offers on how they see potential FA's slotting into the lineup with most everybody's next deal the milepost those FA offers are compared to.  MHO.

here are the salaries that they need to figure out prior to 2024/25 before any big time spending in the summer of 2023.

1) Mittlestadt RFA (with Arb rights) after Next season. What if they get the Best of Casey in 23/24, what does he get?

2) Peyton Krebbs  RFA after next season , whats his cap hit going to be?

3) is any other prospects besides Savoie, Kulich, Rousek ready for a full time role?.  Would be great if a power forward like Cederqvist was ready as they need a couple of heavier players to fill out the forward lines

4) what are the numbers for both Power and Dahlin? Is $16 mill between the two of them enough to allocate?

5) need to filll the 5,6,7 spots.  Do they have a prospect that can make an impact in 24/25? seems unlikely at this time. maybe if they use their first round pick on a Dman this summer? can you find another Lybushkin type at $2.75mill and Stillman type at $1.35   Maybe a step up and adding someone like Zadorov at $3.5mill

If I give Mitts $6mill, Krebs $2mill, find a Tyson Jost type (if not him) at $3mill

Allocate $16 million for Power and Dahlin

add a Zadorov type ($3.75mill),  a Stillman type at $2mill and $1mill for dman #7 and #8.

I'm left with $8million to spend on a partner for Power.  assuming $87,500 salary cap in 24/25

Which is obviously more than enough....so lets go big game hunting !!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

here are the salaries that they need to figure out prior to 2024/25 before any big time spending in the summer of 2023.

1) Mittlestadt RFA (with Arb rights) after Next season. What if they get the Best of Casey in 23/24, what does he get?

3) is any other prospects besides Savoie, Kulich, Rousek ready for a full time role?.  Would be great if a power forward like Cederqvist was ready as they need a couple of heavier players to fill out the forward lines

4) what are the numbers for both Power and Dahlin? Is $16 mill between the two of them enough to allocate?

5) need to filll the 5,6,7 spots.  Do they have a prospect that can make an impact in 24/25? seems unlikely at this time. maybe if they use their first round pick on a Dman this summer? can you find another Lybushkin type at $2.75mill and Stillman type at $1.35   Maybe a step up and adding someone like Zadorov at $3.5mill

If I give Mitts $6mill, Krebs $2mill, find a Tyson Jost type (if not him) at $3mill

add a Zadorov type ($3.75mill),  a Stillman type at $2mill and $1mill for dman #7 and #8.

I'm left with $8million to spend on a partner for Power.  assuming $87,500 salary cap in 24/25

It's that following year, '25-'26 when things will start to get tight and some players that they might like to keep around have to go to fit everybody into the bag.

(Btw, expect that Dahlin and Power will be closer to $18 combined, but that still leaves them room to fill holes.)

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It's that following year, '25-'26 when things will start to get tight and some players that they might like to keep around have to go to fit everybody into the bag.

(Btw, expect that Dahlin and Power will be closer to $18 combined, but that still leaves them room to fill holes.)

trying to figure out how much Power will Cost   are you thinking $10m for the next Dahlin contract and $8m for Power   

Dahlin got $6mill for 3 years in 2021

Adam Fox got $9.5m off his entry level.  Makar got $9mill  is Power in this group? if so maybe they need to allocate $20million for the pair?

Edited by Crusader1969

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Good breakdown. Going to have to see what’s up next year. But the only thing I am unsure about is Mitts at $6 million? Not a hater. He’s improved. But still some question marks as far as his shot and overall play. Would like to see Heim become stronger, more physical, a better two way guy, and work on his shot velocity / accuracy. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

trying to figure out how much Power will Cost   are you thinking $10m for the next Dahlin contract and $8m for Power   

Adam Fox got $9.5m off his entry level.  Makar got $9mill  is Power in this group? if so maybe they need to allocate $20million for the pair?

Dahlin’s late season slump certainly helped the Sabres cap.

He’s not likely to demand more than Makar or Fox now, whereas 90 points and an easy Norris nomination might have put him there.

Ive posted it earlier, but the only real Power comparable is Aaron Ekblad and his deal in today’s dollars would come in at around $8.5 if memory serves.

The Sabres would almost certainly have to offer $8ish to entice him to sign, otherwise he’s more likely just to wait until next summer, betting he can up his value with a good year.

Edited by dudacek

Hopefully their 8 year deals come in just under those #'s, but for planning purposes would run with them.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Hopefully their 8 year deals come in just under those #'s, but for planning purposes would run with them.

so if you give $18mill between Power and Dahlin and Mitts $6 after a full year of growth (optimistic thinker) 

you should be able to offer around $6million per year for a partner for Power without worrying too much about the cap in 24/25.

• Like (+1) 1

so if you give $18mill between Power and Dahlin and Mitts $6 after a full year of growth (optimistic thinker) 

you should be able to offer around $6million per year for a partner for Power without worrying too much about the cap in 24/25.

Haven't looked real close at the #'s, but that seems realistic.

NHL players are odd in that none of them seems to want to outearn the best. It's so unlike the NFL where the next QB contract is the highest-paid QB regardless. There's also the NHL $10M barrier to a Cup win that folks still seem to be wary of.

I think Dahlin comes in between $9.5 and $9.75. Power is the tricky one because you could do a $6M bridge, but I'd just set him up now.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:11 PM, K-9 said:

Ryan Graves, please. 

He'll fetch a nice price on the UFA market (NJ likely cannot keep him with Siegenthaler's contract kicking in, signing Meier's tender, and a Bratt extension). Is Buffalo enticing enough for him at $4.25-$4.6, or would they need to give him $5M+ because some GM out there gets reckless?

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

NHL players are odd in that none of them seems to want to outearn the best. It's so unlike the NFL where the next QB contract is the highest-paid QB regardless. There's also the NHL $10M barrier to a Cup win that folks still seem to be wary of.

I think Dahlin comes in between $9.5 and $9.75. Power is the tricky one because you could do a $6M bridge, but I'd just set him up now.

He'll fetch a nice price on the UFA market (NJ likely cannot keep him with Siegenthaler's contract kicking in, signing Meier's tender, and a Bratt extension). Is Buffalo enticing enough for him at $4.25-$4.6, or would they need to give him $5M+ because some GM out there gets reckless?

Time will tell, but I agree it will take $5+ to sign him.  There has to be 1 or more other teams that feel $5M per year is a reasonable price for a top 4 guy still in his 20's (albeit somewhat later).  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.