GDT: Sabres @ Blue Jackets - April 14, 2023 - 7:30PM, MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

Well it’s a season.  To me, the  best season we have had in the Pegula era because we improved for two years in a row.  

ALMOST made playoff.   Just not enough.  A lot to cover on that topic for another time.  

Good season Teammates 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Motivation for next year. 

PLAY.

EVERY.

GAME.

But you saw growth in many of the boys games individually and as a team in many and varied circumstances that will help them grow and bring the wood next year.

Big Hit Nhl GIF by Hockey Players Club

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They just did:  They have Devon Levi between the pipes.

Still want Varlamov paired with him.  They need 2 guys they have deserved faith that they can get the job done should 1 falter or go down to injury.

Comrie or UPL MIGHT be good enough as a backup to play 25 games.  But they can't risk that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Thanks for an entertaining ride, Sabres. Now go to work and take your place among the contenders and, eventually, the elite. Always look forward to what might transpire in the off season but this one feels like the wait on Christmas Eve as a kid.  Cheers brothers & sisters! Bring it!

• Like (+1) 1

The train is back on the track. A few shrewd moves this offseason and the rocket takes off.

And before people start with the “If they only won this game or that game” remember there are 31 other teams saying that about their seasons. You are what your final record says you are.

Very excited for next season and beyond.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just some thoughts after watching this game. Should the coach consider having Mitts center the first line with Skinner and Tuch? Over the last dozen games or so Mitts has been one of our best players. So many line options for the coach to consider for next season.

Tuch has speed. His acceleration is tremendous. His nifty move to get away from a player he was engaged and then that quick release was impressive. 

It seems that Mitts and Skinner are feeding off one another.

Levi played well. He had one soft goal. What is impressive about him is he is so mentally tough. When a goal is scored against him it does not affect his play. If the Sabres had the caliber of play that Levi presented in his end of season stint all season long, how many more point would the Sabres have garnered? 10-15?

It's going to be interesting to see what plans the organization has for Olofsson next year. I thought he played fairly well. 

The Krebs goal was a bizarre play that I haven't seen before. The defender actually shot it in while entangled with Krebs. 

This game didn't have many heavy hits but it was a fast paced up and down game. I enjoyed it. 

The future is bright. What makes it even brighter is Levi. Who would have thought that when KA traded Reinhart and got Levi in return that the deal could maybe be more consequential than even the Eichel deal? 

I enjoyed the season. As exhibited by the end of season flourish, this team has a lot of heart and character. They never quit. I salute them. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

91 points...missed by a single point. Oh how many points they gave away during the year...SMFH.

Tons of progress. Can't wait for next year and to see what the offseason and draft brings.

I hope they stew on every one of those lost points in the offseason. Stew on them until it makes them wretch. And then vow to not ever want to feel that sick about losing again. Ever. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Sorry, please refresh my memory on what that is again?  I forgot

It's a useless metric that means nothing except your team managed to win (whether it be in regulation, overtime, or via a shootout) in at least 1/2 the games you played.

People will tell you it's a wonderful proxy for getting into the playoffs except when it isn't.

The Sabres won 42 games including their 9 OT wins and 3 SO wins.  So, it looks like they were above 0.500 and the disciples will tell you they should be in the playoffs.  But in regulation, their record was only 30-33-19.   So, they were very good this year in the non-hockey portion of the game and a smidge under so-so in the hockey portion of the game.

They are 1 of 2 teams that hit that illustrious threshold that didn't make the playoffs.

NHL 0.600 is the metric that matters.  Had the Sabres reached it, they'd've been in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Just some thoughts after watching this game. Should the coach consider having Mitts center the first line

That was the plan going into last season, then Mitts got hurt in Game One.  I'm not sure he was ready then, but he's ready now.

I leaving Mitts at 1C allows you to put Tage and Cozens on the same line and with any decent complementary player that makes a really, really really tough Line 1 and Line 1A to play against.

Then you put JJ and Quinn with an emerging center... holy *****.  We're gonna be hard to play against.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

That was the plan going into last season, then Mitts got hurt in Game One.  I'm not sure he was ready then, but he's ready now.

I leaving Mitts at 1C allows you to put Tage and Cozens on the same line and with any decent complementary player that makes a really, really really tough Line 1 and Line 1A to play against.

Then you put JJ and Quinn with an emerging center... holy *****.  We're gonna be hard to play against.

Would Mitts be an 80 point player on that line??

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

There are so many options to consider when assembling lines next year. The issue with Tage is if he is on a Cozens line, which player plays center. I think Tage at center takes less of a pounding than at wing. On the other hand, I like Cozens as a center. I find the Quinn/Cozens/JJ line to be an emerging line. I'm not making any declarations about lines right now because I'm just not sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.