Top 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Matvei Mitchkov's father dead in Sochi under mysterious circumstances

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

That's both very sad and disturbing

Indeed.  It's also why I don't give any crap to Russian players in the NHL being concerned about their own safety or the safety of people they know.  It's a very different world.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Indeed.  It's also why I don't give any crap to Russian players in the NHL being concerned about their own safety or the safety of people they know.  It's a very different world.

Life for anyone who even implicitly, let alone explicitly, criticizes the government, especially for the war on Ukraine, is in danger. It is not just the people who express their dissent, but also their families are placed in jeopardy. Attached is a link who was under house arrest and ended up bolting. His daughter, who drew a picture in school that was interpreted as being disloyal against the state, is now in an orphanage. Their world is not our world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/28/world/europe/russia-repression-children.html

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a big supporter of the players wearing the pride jerseys, but I also have an appreciation for Russian players who choose not to.  Might not sound like a big deal to us, but if they have family living back home in Russia, any type of "dissent" from the party line could put their families at risk.

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

A lot of people have died in Russia the last few years under "mysterious circumstances".

That country is imploding.

I don't know about imploding, but it sure is getting locked down.

Anyone know the situation with the Sabres Russian players.  How many are still in Russia versus playing outside of Russia?  Future drafting of these guys could get pretty risky.  I truly sympathize with those who don't want to live that way.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Where's the info that says this is in any way political, related to the Ukraine, or has anything to do with their government? 

Putin elevates Russian hockey players to national hero status. A lot of players like Putin. He's not going after hockey player's parents unless there's something very specific here. 

How do you know players like Putin?  Because they say so?  Would one possible alternative to your story be that Putin elevates any Russian who achieves world wide fame to national hero status as a way to market his country and regime and that anyone who does not play along finds people disappearing?

What do we really know?

54 minutes ago, LTS said:

How do you know players like Putin?  Because they say so?  Would one possible alternative to your story be that Putin elevates any Russian who achieves world wide fame to national hero status as a way to market his country and regime and that anyone who does not play along finds people disappearing?

What do we really know?

How do I know? Well, I've seen the media stories. Watch this clip. I think you will find it very interesting. (Hasek's in it too)

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Where's the info that says this is in any way political, related to the Ukraine, or has anything to do with their government? 

Putin elevates Russian hockey players to national hero status. A lot of players like Putin. He's not going after hockey player's parents unless there's something very specific here. 

I never said Putin did it. In fact I never mentioned Putin at all. 

What specific thing makes it okay for Putin to go after a hockey players parents?

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I never said Putin did it. In fact I never mentioned Putin at all. 

What specific thing makes it okay for Putin to go after a hockey players parents?

Never said YOU did. Read all the comments in the thread. There's a general anti Putin political tone that implies this was possibly a political act. I merely stated there was no evidence of that assumption. 

Obviously nothing makes it okay for Putin to do that but I don't believe Putin is doing that. Watch the clip above. 

My brother in law has spent a lot of time in Russia for work.  He has some stories.  

It’s a sketchy place, people die like in this story all the time.  It’s dangerous there with lots of corruption and bad people working within the local governments and police.  

Putin could have nothing to do with this.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LTS said:

What do we really know?

And traditionally, they'll tear the person down hard and label them enemy of the state if they put a toe out of line. I listened to this composer randomly and read the biography. Quite the roller coaster for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Shostakovich

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

How do I know? Well, I've seen the media stories. Watch this clip. I think you will find it very interesting. (Hasek's in it too)

This piece does nothing to change my mind.  If you watch Ovechkin he's about as monotone as he can be in some of those "promotional" parts.  About halfway through I got sick of watching because it was clear that people were simply going with "Well, he's on stage, so he must support him."

It proves nothing.  The simple fact is that we do not know about the situation.  We know Putin is a sociopath. I'm not sure its debatable. We know some super sketchy things happen in Russia.  Clearly Putin is okay with all of it (we like to hold the top of all organizations accountable for the actions that occur under their watch, right?)

Bottom line, I am defending Ovechkin. I recognize when I don't have the information required. I am open minded enough to think that there might be more than what is presented in the media (whoever heard of the media being biased or fooled?).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

This piece does nothing to change my mind.  If you watch Ovechkin he's about as monotone as he can be in some of those "promotional" parts.  About halfway through I got sick of watching because it was clear that people were simply going with "Well, he's on stage, so he must support him."

It proves nothing.  The simple fact is that we do not know about the situation.  We know Putin is a sociopath. I'm not sure its debatable. We know some super sketchy things happen in Russia.  Clearly Putin is okay with all of it (we like to hold the top of all organizations accountable for the actions that occur under their watch, right?)

Bottom line, I am defending Ovechkin. I recognize when I don't have the information required. I am open minded enough to think that there might be more than what is presented in the media (whoever heard of the media being biased or fooled?).

Oh sure, that ear to ear smile on Ovechkin's face when Putin phoned in to his wedding was just for show. Okay. Sure. and the election was rigged.................

Internet world today. Nobody believes anything even when there's facts. Whatever. 

Well, no doubt there are Russian players that are pro-Putin, and some that just act like it because they have to. I'm prepared to give Russian players a pass in general since we don't know and the consequences for dissent are non-trivial for them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Oh sure, that ear to ear smile on Ovechkin's face when Putin phoned in to his wedding was just for show. Okay. Sure. and the election was rigged.................

Internet world today. Nobody believes anything even when there's facts. Whatever. 

What facts?  You have no solid information, you have interpretations of reactions. I flat out said I recognize when I don't have the information required. If you are happy forming your opinion on the basis of news reporting that's up to you.

I believe there are alternative possibilities that cannot be ruled out.  That's a world of difference.

The Internet world today. Everybody believes everything because there's a video about it. Whatever.

6 hours ago, LTS said:

What facts?  You have no solid information, you have interpretations of reactions. I flat out said I recognize when I don't have the information required. If you are happy forming your opinion on the basis of news reporting that's up to you.

I believe there are alternative possibilities that cannot be ruled out.  That's a world of difference.

The Internet world today. Everybody believes everything because there's a video about it. Whatever.

Ovechkin campaigned for Putin's "election".  That's a fact. Reject the facts if it makes you happier. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.