GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Florida Panthers, 7pm EDT TV: ESPN+ & MSG-B, Radio: WGR-550

matter2003

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Florida beat us with a tight and relentless checking performance.  Yes our young players are learning, but I feel we still lack some players who can replicate what they did to us....GMKA is going to need to make roster changes....even with Levi in the lineup next season.

Got to say I think that's not the deal.  They don't know when to lay it all on the line.  2:30 left on the PK they pushed the play.  HCDG is not on the ice.  The guys on offense needed to play it all out at the 10 minute mark.

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Tough tough loss.   Gonna be better off next season from games like this.  Thought they had too much anxiety in their game

still need to get bigger stronger throughout the line up   Not strong enough yet to fight through the holding and interference 

silver lining of missing playoffs - more time in the weight room 

BUT. not completely over, need PItt and NYI to collapse which is possible 

Especially this - silver lining of missing playoffs - more time in the weight room.

• Like (+1) 2

Heartbreaking way to more or less end the season; came out strong but between the offside goal and the 5 straight special teams situations it sort of played right into the hands of the more experienced team. 

BS interference call with a lucky bounce gets them tied.

Sabres were mediocre at best in the 2nd

The 3rd was Florida for 1 minute where they got their goal and then we slowly tilted the game to a degree but sticks were tight and FLA was allowed to play interference.

In the end Levi did great which is a great sign for the future. 

Thompson's injury seems to be throwing his timing off a tad and lessening his ability to move. He seems to be like an avalanche that needs time to warm up for a few games before getting into TNT mode.

Well, go sweep the rest of the year boys and maybe you can get a miracle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

Last year is last year. Florida has been a meh team all year.

They couldn't even hit the net on the majority of their good chances 

They lost a hard fought game. Don’t give me the “too much pressure and they come up small” baloney.  This team is way too young to label.  They are on the rise but still kids by NHL standards. 

• Like (+1) 8

Levi was good again.

Unfortunately if they make the playoffs, Levi can’t play.

I would run Levi down the stretch. He is their goalie next year. What they do with the other goalie position is up to Adams.

Losing this game hurts and people don’t want to hear it but it is part of the learning process. They were is a tough battle in April. They will be better for it.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Dude, those same stripes gave us a 6 on 3 at the end. Dahlin couldn’t even make a routine pass across the ice.

I almost feel like this pressure will be more helpful in the long run than if they made the playoffs where there would be zero expectations of winning.

That's six minutes.  Two for wearing #17, two for contradicting me, and two more just because.  Oh, and two more for watching a face-off.  Eight minutes.  Sorry.

Losing a very hard fought 2-1 game against what’s looking like last year’s version of the Panthers on the road - with the youngest team in the league and a goalie who was in college 3 weeks ago - yea I’m not too disappointed. 

Like I said and I truly believe it - a few good moves and we’re a Stanley Cup contender.  We’re going to be the next Tampa Bay or Boston Bruins of the last decade.  

Our turn.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Levi was good again.

I would run Levi down the stretch. He is their goalie next year. What they do with the other goalie position is up to Adams.

Losing this game hurts and people don’t want to hear it but it is part of the learning process. They were is a tough battle in April. They will be better for it.

Why wouldn’t Levi be allowed to play in the playoffs?

Very disappointed in the loss, but am really excited to see this team next year. The kids will be 1 year older and at some point (maybe day 1) Levi will be keeping them in every game he starts.

Let Okposo go back home to Minnesota and trade Olofsson for what they can get.  Opens up a slot for Savoie and a real 4C.  Leave Jost as the 13F.  Sign Johnson to be depth (likely in Ra-cha-cha next year), and bring in a real 4D bumping Stillman to the 7th slot and Clague to 8.  Bryson can be the 10 behind Johnson.

Bring in whoever is the best goalie you can get on a 2 year deal and run with the 2 best goalies of the 4.  Trade one of UPL or Comrie and try to slide the other into Ra-cha-cha unless he beats out both Levi and the new guy.

This team as constructed will be in the playoffs.  Make these tweaks and it could really do some damage.

Should be bummed right now.  But am so excited for the future.  And, if Pittsburgh and the Aisles will continue to stink it up, who knows, maybe they can sneak in this year afterall.  Wouldn't have any money on it.  But until they're eliminated won't give up hope.

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Levi was good again.

You seem to be confusing the AHL rules and the NHL rules.  The only thing keeping Levi out of the playoffs this season is the likely inability of the Sabres to get past 2 of the 3 teams ahead of them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They lost a hard fought game. Don’t give me the “too much pressure and they come up small” baloney.  This team is way too young to label.  They are on the rise but still kids by NHL standards. 

Most naysayers don't want to acknowledge the youth factor. These are the 9 youngest teams in the NHL:

Screenshot2023-04-04210647.thumb.png.0f05b15fd1dee28bd936df0e6c29ff3e.png

Columbus, Arizona, and the Habs are on the ground floor of their rebuilds. Ottawa and Vancouver have been trying to avoid a rebuild for years and failing. Detroit has been rebuilding for half a decade. I don't know wtf Philly is doing, but they're a long way from good. The Devils have been rebuilding for a few years and it came together this year. Besides NJ, the Sabres are the only team on that list that had a realistic chance at the playoffs come April. And they didn't even start properly rebuilding until 2021 after they realized "shortcuts" like Taylor Hall were fool's gold. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make a similar leap to NJ next year with finally competent goaltending.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hoping for something similar to a New Jersey Devils like jump next year...obviously we will likely be about 25 points better by season's end than they were when they finished with 63 points so I doubt we will see a 50+ point jump like they will likely have, but I think a 20-25 point jump for next year might not be out of the question, especially if Levi proves to be as good as he looks like he will be on a regular basis next year.

Some more development, a few key players acquired this off-season and maybe a new face or two from Rochester will hopefully lead to something similar.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Actually he would due to how College signings work. He was Sabres property playing in college; he can be signed and play like if he was signed prior  

OK thanks. I read three different reports online saying Levi couldn’t play. I will take your word for it.

2 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Most naysayers don't want to acknowledge the youth factor. These are the 9 youngest teams in the NHL:

Screenshot2023-04-04210647.thumb.png.0f05b15fd1dee28bd936df0e6c29ff3e.png

Columbus, Arizona, and the Habs are on the ground floor of their rebuilds. Ottawa and Vancouver have been trying to avoid a rebuild for years and failing. Detroit has been rebuilding for half a decade. I don't know wtf Philly is doing, but they're a long way from good. The Devils have been rebuilding for a few years and it came together this year. Besides NJ, the Sabres are the only team on that list that had a realistic chance at the playoffs come April. And they didn't even start properly rebuilding until 2021 after they realized "shortcuts" like Taylor Hall were fool's gold. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make a similar leap to NJ next year with finally competent goaltending.

My hope is the Sabres can make a Devil's "lite" leap...they were awful last year and finished with 63 points so it's unrealistic to think the Sabres will make a 50 point leap while finishing 25ish points ahead of them last year but if they could make another 20-25 point leap that would do nicely...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Very disappointed in the loss, but am really excited to see this team next year. The kids will be 1 year older and at some point (maybe day 1) Levi will be keeping them in every game he starts.

Let Okposo go back home to Minnesota and trade Olofsson for what they can get.  Opens up a slot for Savoie and a real 4C.  Leave Jost as the 13F.  Sign Johnson to be depth (likely in Ra-cha-cha next year), and bring in a real 4D bumping Stillman to the 7th slot and Clague to 8.  Bryson can be the 10 behind Johnson.

Bring in whoever is the best goalie you can get on a 2 year deal and run with the 2 best goalies of the 4.  Trade one of UPL or Comrie and try to slide the other into Ra-cha-cha unless he beats out both Levi and the new guy.

This team as constructed will be in the playoffs.  Make these tweaks and it could really do some damage.

Should be bummed right now.  But am so excited for the future.  And, if Pittsburgh and the Aisles will continue to stink it up, who knows, maybe they can sneak in this year afterall.  Wouldn't have any money on it.  But until they're eliminated won't give up hope.

You seem to be confusing the AHL rules and the NHL rules.  The only thing keeping Levi out of the playoffs this season is the likely inability of the Sabres to get past 2 of the 3 teams ahead of them.

Correct - he signed an NHL contract so is ineligible for rh AHL playoffs.  He could play in the NHL playoffs, but, that chance is likely gone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.