GDT: Big Bad Bruins at Sabres, 3-19-2023 1pm ESPN+, MSG

matter2003

Just now, TRIP65 said:

Why is it Impossible to do BOTH? If the player can't handle it, should be back in AHL, Minors or College.

It isn't impossible to do both. In fact we SHOULD be doing both. Cozens is the closest to a complete 2 way player we have but the team as a whole just thinks offense first and has virtually no defensive skills at all. problem is when an opposing team shuts down the offense by taking away the passing lanes, clogging the middle, winning the board battles, controlling the front of the net etc. the offense we supposedly have doesn't fight through it, it just dies and you see the results. Almost shut out by Philly, shut out here with an easy night for the goalie. Meanwhile we do nothing on D and guys like McAvoy just walk through right to the net and score with not a Sabre in the way.

The Bruins PP for example hasn't been good as of late but our PK is so incredibly bad we made their PP look easy quick tic tac toe goal. This wasn't even Bruins at their best. Just embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Depends on the players you have and coaching.

Of course, and we tend to draft offensive goal scoring guys SO we have to teach them defense. But we don't. 

The team needs to have a system and a structure and everybody has to do their job and when you can't or don't do your job you sit. You don't just get to keep playing and "developing". That's for AHL teams not NHL teams. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Agreed. I do remember discussing this before the season started and the nay sayers to the idea kept saying Granato will teach them offense first and then he will shift to defense. It's backwards, and you see the results. 

I'm not sure I think Granato is very good at teaching offense.  Yes, several players have had strong years under Donny, but once teams figure out how to defend against us, I don't see where Granato has effectively made any adjustments to counter.  We are in a collective scoring drought and I don't think he has any answers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I'm not sure I think Granato is very good at teaching offense.  Yes, several players have had strong years under Donny, but once teams figure out how to defend against us, I don't see where Granato has effectively made any adjustments to counter.  We are in a collective scoring drought and I don't think he has any answers.

They're not in a drought, they're being shut down. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Just looked and Eichel scored a hatty to help his team keep 1st place in the conference outright. 

Meanwhile we sit in a replay of 2019-20, right down to the deadline-sandpaper-acquisition-kickstarts-massive-losing-skid feature 

It amazes me how this organization either doesn't learn from it's mistakes or learns the wrong lessons from them. For example If they actually learned Dahlin wouldn't play another second this season so he can 1)be fully heeled for next season and 2)not risk making his injury worse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Ok, I just have to say this....

Worst atmosphere I have EVER attended in Buffalo in my 52 years....WORST. I was actually embarrassed after the 15 second goal when the entire arena was louder than any Sabres game I have been to in 10 years. I CANNOT be more serious about this point, it was absolutely humiliating being in that building and it was a feeling I have never felt before (even through all the Toronto games.)

Watching my kids faces every time that arena erupted after a Bruins game really made me question if I ever want to see this team in person again (although I know I will). Buffalo was facing a backup goalie and a team after they played the night before with absolutely nothing to gain with a victory. This may be the softest hockey team throughout the entire drought and the fact the guys like Krebs, Dahlin and Cousins are the only ones showing heart is wrong on so many levels.

I can only hope that Greenway is as far away from this city as possible next year, but again, I know that won't happen either. I thought he was pathetic on tv but in person, holy hell. Every single time the Bruins entered our zone, they had a golden chance to score while the Sabres provided the most pathetic attempt at even trying to score a goal. Is this team even good at ANYTHING? I'm serious, going into next year, I don't even know what the answer is because there are so many issues.

I know many think that Granato and Co are safe but at this point, I am right back to hoping they lose out the rest of the way in awful fashion so that major changes are forced to be made in coaching and players. Leaving after the 2nd period was never even up for debate with the 4 of us as it was clear as day that Buffalo wanted no part of this game from start to finish. FU to pretty much everyone who took the ice today, you just lost some pretty loyal fans for the foreseeable future.

The Entire lower bowl looked to be wearing Bruins garb and that is a demoralizing problem for this team. But worse and something I mentioned earlier was UPL letting in 4 goals on his first 8 shots. And Don Granato left him in. It was clear by that point that he was done but no one has told Don that pulling a gt often sparks the team. Don likes to leave them in for a slow burn. And Callaway I’m sorry the kids had to experience that. 

10 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

The Entire lower bowl looked to be wearing Bruins garb and that is a demoralizing problem for this team. But worse and something I mentioned earlier was UPL letting in 4 goals on his first 8 shots. And Don Granato left him in. It was clear by that point that he was done but no one has told Don that pulling a gt often sparks the team. Don likes to leave them in for a slow burn. And Callaway I’m sorry the kids had to experience that. 

That is exactly what I was telling my kids, I was ready to pull him after the third goal, and for sure, after the fourth goal. He clearly was not finding the puck and the rebounds were just atrocious. I saw at least three other wide open nets that he left where the Bruins failed to tap it in.

Edited by CallawaySabres
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It isn't impossible to do both. In fact we SHOULD be doing both. Cozens is the closest to a complete 2 way player we have but the team as a whole just thinks offense first and has virtually no defensive skills at all. problem is when an opposing team shuts down the offense by taking away the passing lanes, clogging the middle, winning the board battles, controlling the front of the net etc. the offense we supposedly have doesn't fight through it, it just dies and you see the results. Almost shut out by Philly, shut out here with an easy night for the goalie. Meanwhile we do nothing on D and guys like McAvoy just walk through right to the net and score with not a Sabre in the way.

The Bruins PP for example hasn't been good as of late but our PK is so incredibly bad we made their PP look easy quick tic tac toe goal. This wasn't even Bruins at their best. Just embarrassing. 

I agree with most of what you said, with the exception of Cozens.  Cozens D-zone coverage is awful.  He leaves his man often, chases pucks and leaves the slot open where he should have coverage, etc.  Its easy to think he SHOULD be a good 2-way forward because he forechecks aggressively and hits, but he is really, really bad in terms of D-zone coverage.   The part I agree with you on is that it isn't just him, the whole group of forwards is really bad.  And as for the PK, I'm not sure Jost isn't hurt or something, because the PK is decent when you have Jost, Girgensons, and Samuelsson out there. They are the 3 best PK'ers on the team.  I'm not sure why Jost is out of the lineup and his 4th line/PK role.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Well, if you just make any cursory observation in any sport you’ll see that this is a silly argument. Who are the players that get drafted first? Who are the players that make the biggest salaries? Why does a player play on the second line and not the first line? Because he doesn’t have enough skill. Why is a player in the bottom six and not the top six? Because they don’t have enough skill. Why are those bottom six players paid at 33% of the people above them? Because what the people do above them is much harder than what they do. 

It’s unequivocal that scoring points in sports is much harder than preventing points being scored. That’s my last comment on the subject.

You asked me to expand the other side of the coin on your generalization, which you applied to all sports and focus on what is harder to play.   So I did that.  I thought there was some good feedback in it.  

I have no big issue with you opinion. I started this by commenting on Granato focusing on scoring first and defense last.  Not what position takes the most skill, gets drafted first, or makes the most money.   Why do the Sabres have five 25+ goal scorers, no goalies, and one of the worst team GAA and PKs in the league?   In hockey, scorers are considered the most talented and highest paid, but maybe we would be a better team with more balance?  Especially a team on the salary cap floor. 

Since your generalization covered all sports, what about the MLB pitchers?   Defensive position and the highest paid position in baseball by far.   Maybe in all sports on average.  

In football the QB is the highest paid position if you are elite, followed by WR and very closely followed by defensive players  -edge, DT, and CB.  

I will leave it at that. 

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with most of what you said, with the exception of Cozens.  Cozens D-zone coverage is awful.  He leaves his man often, chases pucks and leaves the slot open where he should have coverage, etc.  Its easy to think he SHOULD be a good 2-way forward because he forechecks aggressively and hits, but he is really, really bad in terms of D-zone coverage.   The part I agree with you on is that it isn't just him, the whole group of forwards is really bad.  And as for the PK, I'm not sure Jost isn't hurt or something, because the PK is decent when you have Jost, Girgensons, and Samuelsson out there. They are the 3 best PK'ers on the team.  I'm not sure why Jost is out of the lineup and his 4th line/PK role.

Sorry no, it's not decent. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/which-team-has-the-highest-penalty-kill-percentage-2022

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I didn't say the Sabres PK was decent, I said it was decent WHEN Girgensons, Jost and Samuelsson our out there. Not overal, but when they get the bulk of the PK time.  I personally think Girgeonsons is the best PK on this team, but Jost is decent also, hence why I wondered why he was taken out of the lineup unless he is hurt.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

It amazes me how this organization either doesn't learn from it's mistakes or learns the wrong lessons from them. For example If they actually learned Dahlin wouldn't play another second this season so he can 1)be fully heeled for next season and 2)not risk making his injury worse.

Granato said he is a battler that wants to play.   I believe that.  I believe he does not want to leave his teammates when they are still mathematically alive.  

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's what they do with that cap apace moving forward that matters. 

What has Kevyn done with it so far?  Oh yeah, pay for Ben Bishop's retirement.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He Stinks right now.  He is adding nothing.  

I was being charitable. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I didn't say the Sabres PK was decent, I said it was decent WHEN Girgensons, Jost and Samuelsson our out there. Not overal, but when they get the bulk of the PK time.  I personally think Girgeonsons is the best PK on this team, but Jost is decent also, hence why I wondered why he was taken out of the lineup unless he is hurt.

Ya but those stats are for all year which includes when those guys are out there too. The PK is a weakness. The 4th line has some leadership and character but it's not very good. Jost was waived by Minnesota. He's not that good. Sure, we miss Samuelsson, but if a team is that thin that it falls apart with one injury you'll never win will you, because injuries happen to every team every year. 

Management threw this season away by not improving it and filling the holes that have been there all year and there have been ways and moments to fill those holes. They intentionally did not try to move forward. We are, once again, teaching people how to accept losing, setting the bar incredibly low, and putting all hope on rookies and draft picks that won't make a difference for years. 

Why would anyone pay to see this crap?

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Granato said he is a battler that wants to play.   I believe that.  I believe he does not want to leave his teammates when they are still mathematically alive.  

Dahlin is a battler. I think that's a certainty. The problem with the team is when he battles he's left to battle alone. When he was roughing it up with Frederick nobody came in to help as he got popped in the nose. If that was Bergeron on the Bruins the other 4 Bruins on the ice would have all got in there for him the moment the rough stuff started.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Well at least the Sabres kept it from double digits.  Is that enough positivity for ya@Spoonman. 🤣

team usa dancing GIF by U.S. Figure Skating

@Sidc3000This is my kinda 7......

I did not get to enjoy the beat down, as I was travelling for my daughter's wedding tomorrow. Thanks for the positivity brotha.  I had a wonderful visit with my daughter tonight. So happy for her and her awesome (tomorrow) husband. 

What is the latest on Levi? I would like to see him v Nashville ......

Happy Good Day GIF by Just  Dance

I guess I am in a HIP mood tonight.  🤣🤣🤣⚔️

• dislike 1

37 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dahlin is a battler. I think that's a certainty. The problem with the team is when he battles he's left to battle alone. When he was roughing it up with Frederick nobody came in to help as he got popped in the nose. If that was Bergeron on the Bruins the other 4 Bruins on the ice would have all got in there for him the moment the rough stuff started.  

Yup.  Can’t imagine Granato sending out Greenway with the instructions “run-’em”. 

image.jpeg.f1bfddb08d23d45e2a98d7aaeb96f291.jpeg

Edited by Pimlach
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.