GDT: Big Bad Bruins at Sabres, 3-19-2023 1pm ESPN+, MSG

matter2003

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

Feel free to provide any sort of reason as to why stopping somebody from doing something is harder than having to do it yourself.

Not saying it’s harder, but I put defensive skills on par with offensive skills at the elite professional levels.  

One reason is because the person defending does not know the play (in hockey - the moves/passes that are coming) so they have to prepare for numerous options, anticipate, read, and react - and that is hard to do correctly, especially to be consistent at it.  

The difficulty is easier to describe in football   The offense knows the play and the snap count - two big advantages.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does it seem that they have given up?

To me, the GM gave up on them. So afraid to lose prospects that Sabres don't know that he bailed on helping Team when Tuch went down. 2-8-1 since (close to that)

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Ok, I just have to say this....

Worst atmosphere I have EVER attended in Buffalo in my 52 years....WORST. I was actually embarrassed after the 15 second goal when the entire arena was louder than any Sabres game I have been to in 10 years. I CANNOT be more serious about this point, it was absolutely humiliating being in that building and it was a feeling I have never felt before (even through all the Toronto games.)

Watching my kids faces every time that arena erupted after a Bruins game really made me question if I ever want to see this team in person again (although I know I will). Buffalo was facing a backup goalie and a team after they played the night before with absolutely nothing to gain with a victory. This may be the softest hockey team throughout the entire drought and the fact the guys like Krebs, Dahlin and Cousins are the only ones showing heart is wrong on so many levels.

I can only hope that Greenway is as far away from this city as possible next year, but again, I know that won't happen either. I thought he was pathetic on tv but in person, holy hell. Every single time the Bruins entered our zone, they had a golden chance to score while the Sabres provided the most pathetic attempt at even trying to score a goal. Is this team even good at ANYTHING? I'm serious, going into next year, I don't even know what the answer is because there are so many issues.

I know many think that Granato and Co are safe but at this point, I am right back to hoping they lose out the rest of the way in awful fashion so that major changes are forced to be made in coaching and players. Leaving after the 2nd period was never even up for debate with the 4 of us as it was clear as day that Buffalo wanted no part of this game from start to finish. FU to pretty much everyone who took the ice today, you just lost some pretty loyal fans for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 2
  • Angry 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I've been going to the Paris Bistro for years, they do little French presses with good Java, the crepes are always delicious there, I have nexus so it's 2 seconds to cross the whirlpool Bridge for a bite to eat. 

Awesome. Its been a while for us but we love it there too. I suspected that's where you went, but I'm always looking for new spots to check out.

They do a good dinner as well. Love the Beef Bourguignon. 

8 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

To me, the GM gave up on them. So afraid to lose prospects that Sabres don't know that he bailed on helping Team when Tuch went down. 2-8-1 since (close to that)

So in your view, how many games does it take to turn a 21 year old player into a 28 year old veteran? 30? 40? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Worst atmosphere I have EVER attended in Buffalo in my 52 years....WORST. I was actually embarrassed after the 15 second goal when the entire arena was louder than any Sabres game I have been to in 10 years. I CANNOT be more serious about this point, it was absolutely humiliating being in that building and it was a feeling I have never felt before (even through all the Toronto games.)

Watching my kids faces every time that arena erupted after a Bruins game really made me question if I ever want to see this team in person again (although I know I will). Buffalo was facing a backup goalie and a team after they played the night before with absolutely nothing to gain with a victory. This may be the softest hockey team throughout the entire drought and the fact the guys like Krebs, Dahlin and Cousins are the only ones showing heart is wrong on so many levels.

I can only hope that Greenway is as far away from this city as possible next year, but again, I know that won't happen either. I thought he was pathetic on tv but in person, holy hell. Every single time the Bruins entered our zone, they had a golden chance to score while the Sabres provided the most pathetic attempt at even trying to score a goal. Is this team even good at ANYTHING? I'm serious, going into next year, I don't even know what the answer is because there are so many issues.

I know many think that Granato and Co are safe but at this point, I am right back to hoping they lose out the rest of the way in awful fashion so that major changes are forced to be made in coaching and players. Leaving after the 2nd period was never even up for debate with the 4 of us as it was clear as day that Buffalo wanted no part of this game from start to finish. FU to pretty much everyone who took the ice today, you just lost some pretty loyal fans for the foreseeable future.

Hockey Heaven turned into Hockey Hell since the day Pegula set foot in the building. Nice guy but clueless on who to hire to run this franchise. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not saying it’s harder, but I put defensive skills on par with offensive skills at the elite professional levels.  

One reason is because the person defending does not know the play (in hockey - the moves/passes that are coming) so they have to prepare for numerous options, anticipate, read, and react - and that is hard to do correctly, especially to be consistent at it.  

The difficulty is easier to describe in football   The offense knows the play and the snap count - two big advantages.  

Don't vacate the Middle

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Sorry to read this.  It was painful to see to poor effort on TV, live and in person with tons of Bruins fans must have been really bad.  

I remember going to my first hockey games, Buffalo Bisons games, and it was pure energy and fun and those teams worked hard win or lose.  I remember seeing the first Sabres games in 1970.  The Knox’s hired the best they could and the product on the ice was fun, energetic, and promising.  They got beat a lot the first few years, but they didn’t quit, and they won over the fans.  

I think this team has a lot to be excited about.  This offseason the GM has to step up the rebuild and help the players that are long term core player.  If not the past cycle will continue.   

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Sorry to read this.  It was painful to see to poor effort on TV, live and in person with tons of Bruins fans must have been really bad.  

I remember going to my first hockey games, Buffalo Bisons games, and it was pure energy and fun and those teams worked hard win or lose.  I remember seeing the first Sabres games in 1970.  The Knox’s hired the best they could and the product on the ice was fun, energetic, and promising.  They got beat a lot the first few years, but they didn’t quit, and they won over the fans.  

I think this team has a lot to be excited about.  This offseason the GM has to step up the rebuild and help the players that are long term core player.  If not the past cycle will continue.   

Yup, I mean All four of us expected a loss today, but to walk out of there watching that garbage after only two periods was just totally unacceptable.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

So in your view, how many games does it take to turn a 21 year old player into a 28 year old veteran? 30? 40? 

That question makes no sense to me from my statement,

"To me, the GM gave up on them. So afraid to lose prospects that Sabres don't know that he bailed on helping Team when Tuch went down. 2-8-1 since (close to that)"

Take your question on its own

You don't know this, It 's player to player but you look at AHL or where the 21 year old came from and the Competition. Nothing to do with 28 year old veterans. Takes 7 years to become a 28 year old Vet from 21! My guess is your asking if a 21 year old can play like a 28 year old Vet? Again, depends on the Player's skill level and how much Experience gained in Top Competition.

Edited by TRIP65

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well, if you just make any cursory observation in any sport you’ll see that this is a silly argument. Who are the players that get drafted first? Who are the players that make the biggest salaries? Why does a player play on the second line and not the first line? Because he doesn’t have enough skill. Why is a player in the bottom six and not the top six? Because they don’t have enough skill. Why are those bottom six players paid at 33% of the people above them? Because what the people do above them is much harder than what they do. 

It’s unequivocal that scoring points in sports is much harder than preventing points being scored. That’s my last comment on the subject.

41 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Took my kids to a Sabres-Bruins game a few years ago and it felt similar, but I think you had it worse.

Told myself I wouldn’t do that again, then I got two of my kids tickets to games for their birthdays when I thought the team would at least give a good effort, now I think I’ve set them up for a lousy experience again (Vs NJ and Carolina no less…two teams likely to crush them) 

20 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Yup, I mean All four of us expected a loss today, but to walk out of there watching that garbage after only two periods was just totally unacceptable.

I was there too. Worse than any Toronto game I have been to by a long shot. On the way out I had to think about the last time I saw them win at home. I’m a season ticket holder (don’t make every game). I couldn’t do it. So then I looked. It was Jan 21st vs Anaheim. We have only won 2 games since that one (also the only two I didnt attend in that stretch)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

That’s just putting pauses in the phrase. Which is fine, but not required. 

Does more than that, The main sentence is " Full caps makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan"

Now the point I am making is the "every random word" is exactly why I use the CAPS. Not random if it is Capitalized. I could underline, Bold letter, etc... but the word is obviously important in the statement Point I am making. The reader DOESN'T have the right to change my meaning of the Statement. It stands on its own or it isn't MY statement.

But I could ACTUALLY pick on the "actual" in the statement, you see what I did there?

2 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

I was there too. Worse than any Toronto game I have been to by a long shot. On the way out I had to think about the last time I saw them win at home. I’m a season ticket holder (don’t make every game). I couldn’t do it. So then I looked. It was Jan 21st vs Anaheim. We have only won 2 games since that one (also the only two I didnt attend in that stretch)

Like the use of the bold lettering 🙂

I mentioned before puck drop that unless Jost was held out due to injury, then my confidence in Granato would be challenged. Sure enough, Donny said that Jost was a healthy scratch. My faith in his ability has gone down several notches as a result. We are a better team with Jost in the lineup and that is obvious to anyone who watches regularly. If Granato is that oblivious to the obvious, then he simply isn’t the coach to get us to the promised land. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The notion that you teach defense later in the players development never resonated with me.  This was discussed by me and some of the group here in the beginning of the season.   DG likes to teach run and gun offense with creative skill players but defense seemed to be an afterthought.   

I do not think we can ever be a good defensive team unless the system emphasizes defense - no matter who the goalie is. 

Agreed. I do remember discussing this before the season started and the nay sayers to the idea kept saying Granato will teach them offense first and then he will shift to defense. It's backwards, and you see the results. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Does more than that, The main sentence is " Full caps makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan"

Now the point I am making is the "every random word" is exactly why I use the CAPS. Not random if it is Capitalized. I could underline, Bold letter, etc... but the word is obviously important in the statement Point I am making. The reader DOESN'T have the right to change my meaning of the Statement. It stands on its own or it isn't MY statement.

But I could ACTUALLY pick on the "actual" in the statement, you see what I did there?

Like the use of the bold lettering 🙂

Again, from a grammatical point of view, commas were not required. But if you wanna add them for dramatic effect, that’s fine, too. I also don’t have a problem with capitalizing a word for added emphasis, either. It’s the same as italics imo. Although too many and it comes across as shouting. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Agreed. I do remember discussing this before the season started and the nay sayers to the idea kept saying Granato will teach them offense first and then he will shift to defense. It's backwards, and you see the results. 

Yes, I recall those posts.  DG is smart and he is not going anywhere, let’s hope he adjusts. Maybe his staff could be better too.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I mentioned before puck drop that unless Jost was held out due to injury, then my confidence in Granato would be challenged. Sure enough, Donny said that Jost was a healthy scratch. My faith in his ability has gone down several notches as a result. We are a better team with Jost in the lineup and that is obvious to anyone who watches regularly. If Granato is that oblivious to the obvious, then he simply isn’t the coach to get us to the promised land. 

Granto is confused. Might be told by Adams that he can't send down players or Adams needs certain players played? Who knows? Granto sits players typically who are not playing well.

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why is it Impossible to do BOTH? If the player can't handle it, should be back in AHL, Minors or College.

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Again, from a grammatical point of view, commas were not required. But if you wanna add them for dramatic effect, that’s fine, too. I also don’t have a problem with capitalizing a word for added emphasis, either. It’s the same as italics imo. Although too many and it comes across as shouting. 

That is what Donnie does as in the past statement ACTUALLY being wrong on what I am doing.  🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.