GDT: Big Bad Bruins at Sabres, 3-19-2023 1pm ESPN+, MSG

matter2003

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You have the worst posting etiquette on this site. Full caps every random word makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan. 

No one here is interested in rational evaluations of this teams play. 

I am going to read it in that voice now 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

During Donnies post game interview, you could hear what I assume is the players, laughing their ***** off in the background. Don't know who else it coulda been. Sounded like a bunch of younger dudes cracking up.

Well, they don't have to win right? Developing!

My question is Developing into WHAT?

37 minutes ago, Contempt said:

They've won nothing. They got to the AFC Championship game once, three seasons ago, and got smoked in that game. Since then, they've done less each year. If you want to keep counting regular season wins go ahead and be happy with that. It's not good enough. Win a Super Bowl? Get to one first.

Won something, won playoff games, they have had two 13-3 seasons in last three years. Why you watching Sabres with such LOFTY expectations?

Don't get me wrong, I already have called for DC firing since last year, instead he walked away? If they fail to get to the Superbowl, either McDermott or Beane should get fired before Josh Allen is too old to win!!!

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I didn't want to say too much cause you all know the Bruins are my second team below the Sabres (I think I must be insane for not reversing that yet) but this was downright embarrassing. Everything was set up for a chance to beat them. They were on the 5th and final game of a road trip, back to back after a tough game in Minnesota, Sabres rested, Bruins resting people, back up goalie, what more can you ask for? 

Do the Sabres not understand that you have to cover the slot and the dangerous shooting areas? I don't get this team's "plan" at all. They don't check in their own end and they don't fight through in the offensive zone. It's pathetic. 

The sportsnet feed I had to watch was NESN and although jack Edwards is an idiot - no argument there - he said one interesting thing that struck me as a primary difference between the teams and their cultures. To paraphrase (roughly from memory) he said "most people think the Sabres will be a dangerous team when they learn to play team defense. Defense is the hardest thing for young offensive talent to learn and has to come first to make it in the NHL." And that's the difference. Bruins stress that with their youth and it's a team defense concept and everybody buys in. We seem to think it'll magically come later. 

Dylan Cozens could be a Bruin. Maybe Alex Tuch. That's about it. 

Anyway, it was really weird to see all those Bruins jerseys against empty blue seats at the end of the game. Kind of sums up the franchise.

Sabres are still a joke. 

(did you notice Clifton wipe out Quinn end of the second? That's why I was saying he's an under the radar cheaper FA to target. If they actually want to become a hockey team that is and not a Disney on ice show.)

The notion that you teach defense later in the players development never resonated with me.  This was discussed by me and some of the group here in the beginning of the season.   DG likes to teach run and gun offense with creative skill players but defense seemed to be an afterthought.   

I do not think we can ever be a good defensive team unless the system emphasizes defense - no matter who the goalie is. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Thorny said:

I am going to read it in that voice now 

OUR FANBASE IS NOW THIRD WORLD & DYING. THE PLAYOFFS DREAM IS DEAD! THE RADICAL REGRESSIVE ESTABLISHMENT HAVE STOLEN OUR FRANCHISE, AND WITH IT, THE HEART OF OUR CITY. SABRES FANS ARE BEING CHEATED & HELD IN CAPTIVITY LIKE ANIMALS, WHILE BRUINS FANS & MEXICANS ARE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE STADIUM, LAUGHING & MOCKING WITH NO RETRIBUTION. THOUSANDS ARE FLOODING INTO OUR EMPTY SEATS, MANY FROM IRISH BARS AND MASSACHEWSETS. POOR GOALTENDING AND DEFENDING ARE DESTROYING OUR VERY WAY OF LIFE...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Won something, won playoff games, they have had two 13-3 seasons in last three years. Why you watching Sabres with such LOFTY expectations?

Don't get me wrong, I already have called for DC firing since last year, instead he walked away? If they fail to get to the Superbowl, either McDermott or Beane should get fired before Josh Allen is too old to win!!!

You are correct. the Bills have reached a level the Sabres are a long way away from, at every level of the organization. The hardware will come. 

35 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I drove to Canada today and had some delicious crepes with a friend. I had zero intention of watching this train wreck. At one point I opened up my phone and saw it was 4-0 and chuckled lowly and then made another small French press coffee and continued our conversation. 

This team has very quickly sucked the life out of fans, I don't know if they can feel it or understand, or even care, but what was being built the last several months is over. 

I'm not sure this organization realizes the amount of damage they've done to this fan base, I mean, I remember party in the Plaza, the city throbbing with pride and buzz, etc... Now, nothing, a big ol Meh. 

They better hope Adams is up to the task, and this plan is the correct one, if they keep this up, I fear Buffalo may lose it's team, 12 years is disgraceful. 

Called, STOP accepting NO PLAYOFFS

Half the fans are OK with Promises

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

How many more years are you giving them before you want them fired because they aren't winning this year either. 

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

This statement including racist inclinations should be deleted. Hopefully you're drunk or otherwise incapacitated.

The person I was quoting was quoting someone who was mocking some post for being reminiscent of some politician. My post was a sarcastic one based on a copypasta of one of the politician's social media posts.

Edited by lowsabre

37 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree on the players only meeting.  That should have happened already. 

Levi will get killed playing behind this team with the current defensive system in place.  He might win a game or two, but once the team settles into their normal complacent level of play Levi will no better than the rest. The Granato system is flawed defensively.   

And it will cost him his job eventually if he doesn't fix it. Clearly an upgrade in coaching that department is needed. The team clearly misses 'Muel right now, he's their best defender, but there are 2-3 other spots that probably need to be upgraded - obviously Bryson is number one, he's an AHL player. I'm not sure about Boosh. As a bottom pairing guy he's probably sufficient. I've never been high on Jokiharju and I'm even less so after the past few weeks. Yes, UPL has been bad; no, I do not think he has a real future as an NHL goalie anymore. But the guys in front of him have not helped him out much at all.

KA is going to have to try to upgrade in FA this summer. I'm not talking some $2M/per "blah" defenseman. He needs to take a swing. I'm not too sure who's out there, but he's gotta get someone. If not in FA, then he's gonna have to loosen his grip on some of those prospects. A bushel of forward prospects means diddly poo when you can't defend anything and keep the puck outta your net.

I'm still bullish on their future. I think the main ingredients are here to be a legit contender, but right now, defense and goaltending is torpedoing everything. Honestly, coming into the year, playoffs weren't my expectations yet given how beastly the east is; just expected to play meaningful games in March and here we are. That said, if we continue getting our teeth kicked in the next few weeks, a lot of good will will be snuffed out. Gotta get to work.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The notion that you teach defense later in the players development never resonated with me.  This was discussed by me and some of the group here in the beginning of the season.   DG likes to teach run and gun offense with creative skill players but defense seemed to be an afterthought.   

I do not think we can ever be a good defensive team unless the system emphasizes defense - no matter who the goalie is. 

That’s because the hardest thing in sports, pretty much in all sports (except maybe basketball) is scoring. Stopping people from scoring is trivial in comparison. 

15 minutes ago, lowsabre said:

OUR FANBASE IS NOW THIRD WORLD & DYING. THE PLAYOFFS DREAM IS DEAD! THE RADICAL REGRESSIVE ESTABLISHMENT HAVE STOLEN OUR FRANCHISE, AND WITH IT, THE HEART OF OUR CITY. SABRES FANS ARE BEING CHEATED & HELD IN CAPTIVITY LIKE ANIMALS, WHILE BRUINS FANS & MEXICANS ARE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE STADIUM, LAUGHING & MOCKING WITH NO RETRIBUTION. THOUSANDS ARE FLOODING INTO OUR EMPTY SEATS, MANY FROM IRISH BARS AND MASSACHEWSETS. POOR GOALTENDING AND DEFENDING ARE DESTROYING OUR VERY WAY OF LIFE...

DifferentLightheartedCock-size_restricte

• Haha (+1) 5

55 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

During Donnies post game interview, you could hear what I assume is the players, laughing their ***** off in the background. Don't know who else it coulda been. Sounded like a bunch of younger dudes cracking up.

Unacceptable. Man, sometimes I really miss Chris Drury. If you don’t hate losing more than you love winning, then you ma as well hang it up.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You have the worst posting etiquette on this site. Full caps every random word makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan. 

No one here is interested in rational evaluations of this teams play. 

"You have the worst posting etiquette on this site. Full caps every random word makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan. "

You know how to use COMMAS?

4 minutes ago, lowsabre said:

The person I was quoting was quoting someone who was mocking some post for being reminiscent of some politician. My post was a sarcastic one based on a copypasta of one of the politician's social media posts.

That then should have been left to die, but I accept your explanation. Stay well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

"You have the worst posting etiquette on this site. Full caps every random word makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan. "

You know how to use COMMAS?

Listen, I'm trying to get banned here, but you're doing a better job of it.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

Whoa!! Easy.

I agree with you. Like 100%.

Am I seeing a team on the cusp of playoffs. Absolutely not. Next year? They will need some major holes filled.

If they are together when they are 25-29 years old with the right coach I think they might be pretty darn good. But my personal pet peeve is we need to get tougher in d zone.

Was reacting at the lets see them 4-5 years from now. That will NOT work. Already losing fans fast.

22 minutes ago, hockey said:

Psychos like me are coming out of the woodwork - Buffalo has become Gotham City.

I AM BATMAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.