Where Are We in the Crease Right Now?

Porous Five Hole

Where Are We in the Crease Right Now?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start Tuesday?

2. 2. Who should start Thur in Boston?

3. 3. What’s best for UPL’s long term development?

• The majority of the starts in Buffalo
    • AHL stint to reset
    • One head of a three headed crease monster

Expect Comrie should start Tuesday but also expect that Anderson will.

Considering nobody has fully taken control of the crease, wouldn't be horribly upset if they started rolling through all 3.  Would give Anderson the B's game if they are rolling through the 3.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Granato is trying to get as much out of Comrie and UPL as he can before turning the net over to Anderson.  

As long as the team keeps winning, Granato is going to spot-start Anderson until ten games or so are left in the season.  Anderson will then take over and be the starter in the playoffs.

This all changes, of course, if Levi signs, starts a couple of game, plays lights out and then leads the Sabres to the Stanley Cup 😲.  But I digress...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

UPL is still bad.  Sorry but that is just the way it is.  I’m not writing him off, but we need the roster spot and we’ll be better off with an extra d or forward, especially with Tuch out for weeks to come.

As of Friday they can have as many bodies on the roster as they want.  Expect there is a very slim chance he gets sent down, but would more expect that nobody on the current roster goes down.

37 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I think Granato is trying to get as much out of Comrie and UPL as he can before turning the net over to Anderson.  

As long as the team keeps winning, Granato is going to spot-start Anderson until ten games or so are left in the season.  Anderson will then take over and be the starter in the playoffs.

This all changes, of course, if Levi signs, starts a couple of game, plays lights out and then leads the Sabres to the Stanley Cup 😲.  But I digress...

The Sabres sweep their 3-game road trip 4/1-4/6, effectively ending Florida's season and leaving the Sabres with just one point to clinch a playoff spot in their remaining 5 games. Lo and behold, Levi and Portillo both sign. It's now a 5-headed hydra goalie.

Levi 2-0 with 1 shutout. Portillo 2-0 with a .938. And UPL gets the final game of the season at Columbus.

The Sabres ice an opening night lineup against Carolina in game one of the EQFs of TNT, Anderson, UPL, Levi, Comrie, and Portillo. They play a 1-0-0-4 alignment against Carolina's zone exits. And win.

Comrie with the hattie.

• Haha (+1) 2

So early indications is we all think Anderson gives the Sabres the best chance to win against Boston (including myself). Is this a statement game where we need to go that way?

Just thinking that if Anderson is our best chance to win…maybe he goes Tuesday because it’s the best chance at two points?

I am still Comrie Tuesday and Andy Thursday, but if they’re flipped I’m fine with it. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

So where are we in the crease right now?  Still in the same place we were the day Ullmark left town; with a roster full of mediocre goaltenders.

Sure but what about the next week? That’s what the poll is about.  Sorry if that wasn’t more clear. 

53 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

UPL gives me THE FEAR whenever he’s out there (as does Comrie now that I think about it).  Anderson needs to be out there as much as possible, and we’re gonna have to white-knuckle the other games and hope we score 9 barring a trade.  

This so weird because I know that feeling too well, and I don’t feel that way, even though I don’t think he’s been particularly good.

I don’t even feel that way with Comrie, who I think has been clearly worse.

I think it’s because even though I expect them to let in goals that would normally be backbreakers, I also expect our skaters to get them back. 

It’s just what this team, at least right now, is.

Can’t wait until we get a goalie who is going to give on a regular basis the vibe Anderson supplied versus Florida

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

This so weird because I know that feeling too well, and I don’t feel that way, even though I don’t think he’s been particularly good.

I don’t even feel that way with Comrie, who I think has been clearly worse.

I think it’s because even though I expect them to let in goals that would normally be backbreakers, I also expect our skaters to get them back. 

It’s just what this team, at least right now, is.

Can’t wait until we get a goalie who is going to give on a regular basis the vibe Anderson supplied versus Florida

The highlighted line summarizing the situation. It seems that the front office is taking the view that the permanent solution is going to be addressed at a later time. As you succinctly put it: Where we are at is where we are at. 

By the numbers in January

• Anderson 1/2/0 2.97 .906
  • Luukkonen 6/2/0 3.06 .907
  • Comrie 1/1/0 3.07 .860

And February 

• Anderson 1/1/0 2.53 .930
  • Luukkonen 2/3/0 5.03 .858
  • Comrie 2/0/0 3.95 .873

You can’t really cut off one of the heads if none of them can string together any kind of consistency.

Comrie has not played a “good” game since he returned. He had an OK start against Winnipeg.

Luukkonen has had 2 stellar .943 games in his past six. And 4 games where he let in at least 4.

Anderson has two stinkers in his past 7, but also has had 4 excellent starts in that stretch.

He is also the only one to play effective back-to-backs this year and has had the best numbers all season. I think it’s time to push him a little harder.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

By the numbers in January

• Anderson 1/2/0 2.97 .906
  • Luukkonen 6/2/0 3.06 .907
  • Comrie 1/1/0 3.07 .860

And February 

• Anderson 1/1/0 2.53 .930
  • Luukkonen 2/3/0 5.03 .858
  • Comrie 2/0/0 3.95 .873

You can’t really cut off one of the heads if none of them can string together any kind of consistency.

Comrie has not played a “good” game since he returned. He had an OK start against Winnipeg.

Luukkonen has had 2 stellar .943 games in his past six. And 4 games where he let in at least 4.

Anderson has two stinkers in his past 7, but also has had 4 excellent starts in that stretch.

He is also the only one to play effective back-to-backs this year and has had the best numbers all season. I think it’s time to push him a little harder.

Sounds like we should get someone else to play goal.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Whenever he wants.  But realistically that'll be the day after NU's season is over.

NU is currently on the outside looking in for the NCAA D1 Frozen Four Tournament... but they're very close. 

They have one more weekend of games before the Hockey East tournament begins (March 8th).

So conceivably he could be done as early as March 8th or as late as April 9th if they make it to the Frozen Four finals. 

• Thanks (+1) 1