GDT: Sabres @ Sharks, Feb 18, 2023, 10:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

More than a coincidence that we took control after Donny G nailed Clague’s sorry ass to the bench. 

Yes, we need to bring in a veteran d-man before the deadline which is fast approaching, someone with some grit and that is defensively responsible preferably and that has play-off experience.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Wow that’s the record for the Sabres for the most empty net goals with 14

Not surprising. Looking at the stats a while back we tend to be front runners 

We score a lot but also tend to score in bunches and pile on. Empty net goals no better example 

Edited by Thorny

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Quick survey of the standings suggests the Sabres are favorably poised to push for a wildcard spot, given their 4-5 games in hand over 3 of the 4 candidates for #8, and a goal differential 3x better than the entire Eastern wildcard field. 

As others have suggested, adding a physical, disciplined d-man by the deadline could attainably fill in the most glaring roster hole (beyond GK). Seems like a good year to make a moderate move and go for it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

Yes, we need to bring in a veteran d-man before the deadline which is fast approaching, someone with some grit and that is defensively responsible preferably and that has play-off experience.

I'm trying to figure out who this could be. I hope Adams has a couple names in mind and really would like to see him do this sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Wow that’s the record for the Sabres for the most empty net goals with 14

This is what worries me most about our goal differential. 

Woke up at 6 and just watched the replay.  UPL didn't have a chance on that tip and the other goal was traffic banging around in his crease, which is no surprise with our bad practice of letting opponents clog his space. Please get some physical Defensemen. Please !   UPL played so well and I do wish to see more from Cromrie so he can get a rhythm.  

4 goals for the good guys and they were hustling up front. Now we have five 20 goal scorers. Seems like yesterday I was hoping for one ! 

How our GM and coaching staff have changed things for the better.  Great way to finish the trip. 

Totonto next and then our 2 games in Florida . Go Sabres !   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It means we are winning lots of games. 

(Fun fact: only once in NHL history has a team scoring an ENG with the opponent's goalie pulled at the end of a game lost. If I read this correctly. https://theathletic.com/3259696/2022/04/22/down-goes-brown-empty-net-goals?source=user-shared-article)

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm trying to figure out who this could be. I hope Adams has a couple names in mind and really would like to see him do this sooner rather than later. 

What difference does the differential make? Don't get caught up in the statistical weeds. In the end it's all about the record. Statistical minutia doesn't always reflect the reality on the ice. I would rather have a goalie whose stoppage rate is 890% and whose record is 15-6 than have a goalie whose rate is 935% and record is 11-10. Just go out and win and the analytics will take care of itself. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What difference does the differential make? Don't get caught up in the statistical weeds. In the end it's all about the record. Statistical minutia doesn't always reflect the reality on the ice. I would rather have a goalie whose stoppage rate is 890% and whose record is 15-6 than have a goalie whose rate is 935% and record is 11-10. Just go out and win and the analytics will take care of itself. 

I don’t overly focus on differential but the the bolded  just doesn’t happen unless the first goalie gets way more goal support than average and the second goalie gets way less.  

Wins and losses are a team stat.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

More than a coincidence that we took control after Donny G nailed Clague’s sorry ass to the bench. 

True.  But more important is that Granato didn't have to shorten his F bench for them to do that.  He didn't mess w/ the F's until the final 2 minutes & the current whipping boy Peterka had himself a breakaway that could've sealed the game w/ 3 minutes to go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.