Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

23 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Bills win big.

The Fins O has not played against a good D yet.

It will not even be that close.

Bills 38

Fins 17

Hat tip, sir.

17 hours ago, carpandean said:

I'm surprised at how often Miami is letting the play clock run down below 10 after a run or a completion tackled in bounds.  They're not showing any urgency to get back in it

Their apparent lack of urgency was weird. But I think it's a function of how that offense works -- and it requires a lot of pre-snap input from McDaniel.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The boyfriend's ugly. I smell a rat.

Ha! I am 50/50 on this relationship being a scheme cooked up by -- or at least facilitated and encouraged by -- the people who are respectively responsible for promoting the NFL and Taylor Swift. Each brand would covet the opportunity to make inroads with the other brand's fan base. And the Venn diagram of those two fan bases would not show a ton of overlap prior to this supposed love connection.

Having said that, Travis Kelce is a good lookin' guy. Don't let the cheezy 'stache fool you. It is totally plausible that he and Swift could hook up for a romance. Which is what would make this cross-promotion so lucrative.

I've said it before and will keep saying it: Unscripted pro sports still has so much to learn from pro wrestling (and principally Vince McMahon). What the pro wrestling promoters have understood far better and far longer than their unscripted counterparts is that the large majority of fans (viewers) enjoy high-level athletic exploits and competitive events, sure, but, as much or even more than that, they love stories

So give the people what they want, Roger.

Also, God bless Tre White.

His season-ending injury really took the sail out of my wind at the stadium, even as the squishing continued unabated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:54 AM, carpandean said:

Usage is definitely a big part of it.  I hope that Dalton is given a chance to show what he can do.

This.  The Bills already had a solid tight end in Knox; now they have two, to go along with a pretty solid receiver corps.  They have the luxury of being able to work him in slowly.  As it is, he had a couple of crucial catches yesterday.  I think that workload will increase as time goes on.

17 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Dorsey deserves his flowers today. Called an absolutely brilliant game.

We have a running game again.  Cook looked great but Murray and Harris pitched in too at key moments.  We didn't have that last year; short yardage always meant sneaking Josh.  We don't have to do that anymore.  Also the Bills were able to run out the clock by running the ball.  Having a legit running game only makes Josh more dangerous to other teams.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Jets D held both Mahomes and Allen to QB Rating scores of ~63.

This seems like helpful context. The Jets D - when motivated and executing - are probably the best D in the league.

Both games were in prime time spots, fwiw.

I can't even imagine how depressing that "oh what could have been" attitude has to be for jets fans right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am 50/50 on this relationship being a scheme cooked up by -- or at least facilitated and encouraged by -- the people who are respectively responsible for promoting the NFL and Taylor Swift. Each brand would covet the opportunity to make inroads with the other brand's fan base. And the Venn diagram of those two fan bases would not show a ton of overlap prior to this supposed love connection.

I'm sorry but what? The biggest sport in NA and the biggest Pop Star in NA wouldn't have a bunch of overlapping fans? I somehow doubt that. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

My voice is completely gone today and my throat is killing me.  But McDermott went out of his way in his post game presser to say that’s the loudest he has heard a stadium in his nfl coaching career.  Good job bills mafia.  I know we brought the noise from the upper deck.  Go bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Turns out you were being pessimistic. 🙂

The defense did even better than I thought for sure.  Add in that Allen played patient and in complete control.  Add in that we were home and the crowd was nutso. 

Love this team.   

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I can't even imagine how depressing that "oh what could have been" attitude has to be for jets fans right now.

I can.  It's ingrained in the Bills Mafia psyche.

20 minutes ago, Derrico said:

My voice is completely gone today and my throat is killing me.  But McDermott went out of his way in his post game presser to say that’s the loudest he has heard a stadium in his nfl coaching career.  Good job bills mafia.  I know we brought the noise from the upper deck.  Go bills!

You could hear it on the telecast, and it was constant, especially when the defense was out on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The defense did even better than I thought for sure.  Add in that Allen played patient and in complete control.  Add in that we were home and the crowd was nutso. 

Love this team.   

The real story of this year's offense is that Josh doesn't have to do it all.  We have three capable running backs and much improved run blocking that take the pressure off the passing game and save Josh from short yardage QB sneaks. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm sorry but what? The biggest sport in NA and the biggest Pop Star in NA wouldn't have a bunch of overlapping fans? I somehow doubt that. 

Fair. I'm going off my personal experience. The Swifties whom I know don't (really) give a damn about the NFL. Likewise, the people I know who plan their lives around NFL Sundays (and related wagering) are all dudes and they don't give (much of) a damn about Taylor Swift. I reckon the "casuals" in both fan bases could have significant overlap.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'll give him credit.  That entire rant was way more coherent than most tend to be.

It is an all-timer.

51 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Hooo boy. It was loud. I got lightheaded and woozy as we were cheering for Diggs 55-yarder.

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

As much as I don’t care for Bart Scott post playing career, I loved that interview.  Raw uninhibited emotion.  

It is possibly the best sports interview ever. I only posted it to give the Jets some poetic justice for their season gone awry.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The real story of this year's offense is that Josh doesn't have to do it all.  We have three capable running backs and much improved run blocking that take the pressure off the passing game and save Josh from short yardage QB sneaks. 

Controlled Josh is a good Josh.  I love the occasional Superman play like the one to Cook for a 40 yard run after the catch, but he is so much better when he takes what the defense gives him instead of trying to force it.   If you look at the drive chart for the season, including the 1st half against the Jets, the Bills are routinely going 10-11 plays 75 years for their scores.  They are mixing the run and the pass and as long as Josh keeps his head, the Bills Offense can score, keep the defense rested, and win.  The Bills have actually lead the TofP in all 4 games.  Josh in the last 3 games is 72 of 94 for 8 tds and 1 int.  He has only rushed 10 times for 70 years in those 3 games.  11 players have caught a pass ytd, with 6 having 12 or more targets.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair. I'm going off my personal experience. The Swifties whom I know don't (really) give a damn about the NFL. Likewise, the people I know who plan their lives around NFL Sundays (and related wagering) are all dudes and they don't give (much of) a damn about Taylor Swift. I reckon the "casuals" in both fan bases could have significant overlap.

FYI: My youngest daughter is a huge Swiftie and just as big a football fan (UGA and the Bills).  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI: My youngest daughter is a huge Swiftie and just as big a football fan (UGA and the Bills).  

Mine too. 
Well, not as big a Bills fan, but she makes a point of watching with me every Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It is an all-timer.

Hooo boy. It was loud. I got lightheaded and woozy as we were cheering for Diggs 55-yarder.

It is possibly the best sports interview ever. I only posted it to give the Jets some poetic justice for their season gone awry.

My biggest regret of the day (aside from White's injury) is that I watched that long Diggs TD silently with my arms crossed, completely convinced that they were making a weak push-off call. Told everyone around me that I thought it was coming back. It was of course awesome to be wrong and celebrate, but i missed out on enjoying one of the plays that will top Diggs' career highlight reel.

I will learn to enjoy the game first and be cynical later. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1