Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

My take away as someone who watched a bunch of football this weekend but isn’t a Bills fan:

Yeah, Bills offense stunk and Allen played poorly.  But if you watched other teams this weekend, a bunch of offenses looked discombobulated and much worse than expected this week.  I’d say it’s mostly a week one issue.  Hold the vitriol until after week 2 or 3.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

My take away as someone who watched a bunch of football this weekend but isn’t a Bills fan:

Yeah, Bills offense stunk and Allen played poorly.  But if you watched other teams this weekend, a bunch of offenses looked discombobulated and much worse than expected this week.  I’d say it’s mostly a week one issue.  Hold the vitriol until after week 2 or 3.

But there were fundamental errors that Allen and Dorsey should never make and have been making since last season.

It is only one game and like i said in the football side:

- It is only one game and was lost basically by one player, Allen

- The Sabres season is close to starting!!! (More hockey than football fan!)

- Allen still makes rookie mistakes! Throw to the OPEN player, and stop trying to be a hero. Also, enough of the happy feet!!! The pocket was actually holding and he would start to run! 

- Zero faith on OC Dorsey, Zero

Again, one game and the best news is that hockey is almost here!!!! 🙂

Allen played very poorly.  It is just one game. My belief all along was he was hurt the 2nd half of last year and it impacted his play, and once he starts playing 'not hurt' this year he would go right back to being a top-5 MVP candidate.  But, he made numerous bad decisions. It wasn't just the INTs but he often threw the ball into coverage that a ball should NEVER be thrown into (2 or 3 defenders shadowing his target), while other players were open. He passed up on running or taking the 'almost sure' first down for something bigger that never came to be.

He had a very bad game, much worse than I thought.  Lets hope this was a one week thing.

As for the rest of the team, nothing is really different to me.  The OL was "OK" but not great/good.  The defensive backfield looks old and slow. The pash rush was improved.  Again, not much to take from just one game.  Allen needs to get a lot better.

6 hours ago, carpandean said:

I feel like they did make adjustments against the run on defense. 

The defense played well and got a little better.  Quite simply, they (just barely) lost because the offense (Josh, in particular) had four turnovers, which got successively worse:

1) INT 1 - Jets would have likely had better field position if Whitehead had knocked that passed down forcing 4th down.  It was like a 3-and-out with a great punt.  Shouldn't have hurt much, but they gave up an 83-yard run on the first play.

2) INT 2 - Almost the same, but came on 2nd and 13 in (long) field goal range, and was a touchback, so it was like they had stalled, maybe with a sack, and had a poor punt.

3) INT 3 - 3rd and 2 from their own 41, poor pass into double coverage, gave the Jets good field position.

4) Fumble - 1st and 10 from their own 25 with the ability to run down the clock on a successful game-winning drive, Allen mishandles the snap and then does the risky thing instead of making the safe play.  Gives the Jets the ball with really short field and, at worst, a go-ahead field goal.

Josh took chances that he didn't need to, especially after Rogers went down. 

Even given that, they still had the ball in OT ...  then took a false start penalty, dropped a 14-yard pass, ran a 2-yard draw and then didn't covert a 13-yard reception (with a little bit of a hold.)

There is no solace in getting to overtime    as they are now 0-5 in OT.  

Josh is pretty much is 100% to blame for every single turnover. The “punt” interception was a very stupid decision by a veteran qb and it fired up the Jets.  They broke a big play right after it.  

The next INT was another stupidly forced pass on 2nd down.  Throw it away and try again.  The next INT he was forcing ball on 3rd and 2 when there were other options.  

The double fumble was worst of all, any kind of drive likely wins the game.  

We have 7 years of data that says he has great athletic ability but is not a smart player.  He improved his game in so many ways since we drafted him but he still isn’t a smart player.  Not smart like Peyton Manning or Brady or Mahommes   He makes a lot of big mistakes.  

He played like a rookie.  Someone on this coaching staff needs to get his attention.  Diggs tried already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

JA peaked under Daboll. If we don’t find an elite coach that can reach him, I’m certain this is what we get from here out. He will have his moments but he’s no longer a top 10 qb. 

Who are your top-10 QBs?  You put Geno Smith, Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins above Allen?

If you want to say that he is in the 5-10 range, fine, but it’s tough to put him outside the top-10.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It’s a new season. After week one he’s ranked near bottom. 

Haha, ok, if you like.  From my point of view, a bit larger sample size should be used to evaluate a player.

Sure, he sucked in week one, but that doesn’t mean he overall sucks as a player.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

JA peaked under Daboll. If we don’t find an elite coach that can reach him, I’m certain this is what we get from here out. He will have his moments but he’s no longer a top 10 qb. 

You do realize he was in top 10 without daboll last year ? 

Man you bills fans are something 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It’s a new season. After week one he’s ranked near bottom. 

I guess Burrow sucks all of a sudden then because his QB rating is 10 points worse than Allen’s. And Desmond Ridder is a lock for All Pro because he is the second highest rated QB in the league! 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 9/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, Gatorman0519 said:

If we don’t find an elite coach that can reach him, I’m certain this is what we get from here out. 

I tend to agree that the Bills will ultimately need to bring in a guru of some kind to get Allen under control and help him be the player he can be. Daboll and his team did a very good job with that. Dorsey was a part of that team, but, as the OC, he does not seem to have sufficient control over Allen.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:56 PM, Curt said:

If you want to say that he is in the 5-10 range, fine, but it’s tough to put him outside the top-10.

Agreed.

I was texting with a group of friends -- only 1 of them a Bills fan -- and asked to whom Allen best compares as an NFL QB.

I said Favre, maybe.

Then someone else chimed in: Dude. Jim Kelly.

And I was like oof.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, Goldseatsaud said:

The offense has no rhythm. McDermott has to reign in 17. Allen has been in the league for six years and is making the same bad throws

Its worse than that. For most of the 2021 season (ESPECIALLY the 2nd half) and the first half of last season, he cut down on those bad throws quite a bit.  Its not that he is just making the 'same bad throws' as always, he actually has regressed from the progress he has made.   

One thing I have noticed (at least my opinion) that has changed is the lack of medium-length throws.  The throws that travel 12-225 years beyond the line of scrimmage.  I don't have any stats to support this, but compared to last season and the season before, it seems like those throws are lacking. Now there are a lot more under 10 years passes or simply chuck it downfield as far as you can. The medium length passing game seems to be a lot smaller part of this offense. (either its not there at all, or it is just a lot less successful than it was).

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I tend to agree that the Bills will ultimately need to bring in a guru of some kind to get Allen under control and help him be the player he can be. Daboll and his team did a very good job with that. Dorsey was a part of that team, but, as the OC, he does not seem to have sufficient control over Allen.

Agreed.

I was texting with a group of friends -- only 1 of them a Bills fan -- and asked to whom Allen best compares as an NFL QB.

I said Favre, maybe.

Then someone else chimed in: Dude. Jim Kelly.

And I was like oof.

I've always thought Favre was the best comparison for Allen.  High energy, throw caution to the wind, reckless at times, very high risk, high reward.  One thing you have to remember about QBs like they are....they don't have just 'bad games' or 'bad months'.  They have great years and bad YEARS.

Look at Favre's career:

-Favre won the MVP in 95, throwing almost 40 td's (38 actually) and 13 ints.  0.2 points away from a 100 QB rating. He won the MVP next year in 96 with 39 passing tds.

-3 and 4 years later he was bad, (1998 and 99) he had back to back seasons with over 20 ints in each, with one season with a QB rating in the 70's.

-2 seasons later in 2001, he is back to being great, almost 4000 yards, 32 tds, only 15 ints, and a 94+ qb rating.

-Then in 2003-2005 he was really bad, he threw 67 ints over 3 seasons.  In 2005 and 2006, he threw a total of 38 tds and 47 ints over those 2 seasons. In 2005, his qb rating was 70.9.

-Then he came back to being great in 2007-2009 to throw for over 4000 yards in 2 of those 3 seasons. In 2009, a 107.2 qb rating, with 33 td and only 7 ints.

When you have a QB that takes chances, and after a few years it appears he isn't going to change...odds are he won't change.  Again, forget about a good game followed by a bad game, or a good month followed by a bad one.  You may get a good year or two (MVP caliber) followed by a year or two where he looks like he is on the way out of the league, only to get back to close to MVP form a year or two later again.

There may be no way to 'fix' Allen, now way to 'reign him in'. No guru to change his style. He just may be what he is...and his career might be higher highs and lower lows... more than many of us want.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1