Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

On 8/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, That Aud Smell said:

There’s a limit to how much PSE can expect to recoup from STHs’ PSL’s. That’s where the offset money will come from for the owners. And I think they’re already at a budgetary point where they’re digging into the Pegula yacht budget.

Is that exclusive or inclusive of the lawsuits for violations of the community benefit covenants and MWBE requirements?

True.. but $18 beers also help.  The PSL is only so much of it.  $85 parking?  🙂

3 hours ago, LTS said:

True.. but $18 beers also help.  The PSL is only so much of it.  $85 parking?  🙂

I'm not sure whether and to what extent that sort of money will help offset their piece of the construction budget. Maybe? Idk. The received wisdom is that owners look to PSL's to fund their piece of a new stadium. In all events, they are already significantly over budget. And work's hardly commenced. Pain's coming. Some pain's already been delivered (see ya later, Ron Raccuia).

I'd bet dollars to (Freddie's) doughnuts that the Pegulas are going to demand that the deal be changed so as to reduce their burden for overages.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

The profit in sports team ownership is in the appreciation and not in the revenue.

Cash flow is a b1tch.

Recall the slide deck from 2020 when Kim Pegula reportedly included a picture of the Pegulas’ mega yacht (under construction) by way of context on how team spending needed to be in line with the Pegulas’ lifestyle.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

I feel like we've covered this ground before.

You’ve posted your opinion on the matter before, I suppose.

Edited by That Aud Smell

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Cash flow is a b1tch.

Recall the slide deck from 2020 when Kim Pegula reportedly included a picture of the Pegulas’ mega yacht (under construction) by way of context on how team spending needed to be in line with the Pegulas’ lifestyle.

I am in no way making any excuses for that pathetic perspective in 2020, but we are a long way from that. Terry’s wealth has continued to increase in spite of 2020 events.  

Also, I know I’m spending someone else’s money when I say this and I’m sure their perspective is different than mine…but given the health of Kim, does the importance of money matter as much as it did back then? Terry is in his 70’s and lot has changed in three years. 

I’m not saying cash flow isn’t a potential issue, but the guy is on the back nine of life and maybe he’s just gonna YOLO from here on out.  It might not happen, but it’s possible.  

17 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I am in no way making any excuses for that pathetic perspective in 2020, but we are a long way from that. Terry’s wealth has continued to increase in spite of 2020 events.  

Also, I know I’m spending someone else’s money when I say this and I’m sure their perspective is different than mine…but given the health of Kim, does the importance of money matter as much as it did back then? Terry is in his 70’s and lot has changed in three years. 

I’m not saying cash flow isn’t a potential issue, but the guy is on the back nine of life and maybe he’s just gonna YOLO from here on out.  It might not happen, but it’s possible.  

He's probably going to treat himself to luxuries, but he's not going to spend an extra $300MM to $1B on cost overruns driven by graft, corruption and unions.  No one does that.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He's probably going to treat himself to luxuries, but he's not going to spend an extra $300MM to $1B on cost overruns driven by graft, corruption and unions.  No one does that.

Ha-Trumph Ha-Trumph...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Keep your politics out of the thread. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The costs have gone up because the costs have gone up since the blueprints of the stadium were made. Where did you come up with those spiraling costs you noted and why are you attributing them to graft, corruption and the unions? The timing of building this stadium is in the midst of dramatic increased costs in materials and labor costs. Sometimes the building environment rapidly changes for a variety of uncontrollable reasons and have absolutely nothing to do with political inclinations.

All I can say is that you are not only way off the mark but you have also allowed your political leanings to distort the facts of the situation. You have been very forceful in not allowing even minor political coloring of discussions on this board. Others have noted that you have not lived up to that standard. Now I know what they are talking about. It's clear that in this case you should penalize yourself for violating the code that you have established. This is a case of full-frontal hypocrisy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have a tough schedule but just take it 1 week at a time and keep Allen upright. 11 wins probably gets you in the post-season where anything can happen.

Fans live to point out the warts on the team. Other teams have them too, despite the created narratives. Injuries are always the wildcard.

Looking forward to the season but it's still 3 weeks away. Enjoy the summer. 

• Agree 1

On 8/16/2023 at 8:28 PM, Ogre said:

Third, that $300 million overrun, you idiots, is due to the rising cost of materials and labor (because there’s a shortage of it everywhere!) since the original estimates. There’s going to be a billion $ chip plant being built a few hours drive from this project. 

The WNY business and building sectors are on fire! I live in this world, I know contractors (on both sides) that are buying out supplies in anticipation of work to come.

The fact that a billion $ project has only increased by such a small percentage in the face of the boone that we are having is a GD testimonial to the effectiveness of a PLA at controlling costs.

Interesting insight. Thanks. 

Not sure who you're calling "idiots," though. I could probably do without that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting insight. Thanks. 

Not sure who you're calling "idiots," though. I could probably do without that.

Firstly, you’re welcome.

Secondly, let’s evaluate this a bit. 
The cost of the project increased by .0003%. For perspective, that’s like building a $300,000 house and finding out that the price increased by that .0003%, or $90. 

What happened with most posters though? Most of them jumped to outrage and conspiracy culminating in the Union’s corruption and greed being the culprit. 

Sure. Let’s vilify the hard working men and women that devote years into training in their craft and go out there and make sh!t happen every damn day, rain or shine. Let’s blame politicians. Let’s blame every thing and everyone without shutting the hell up and thinking for a minute. 

That is the very definition of idiotic, is it not?

And if anyone got their britches twisted sideways by the comment, fret not.

The state of being idiotic is temporary in most people. You just didn’t shut up long enough to think. Happens to me from time to time and I tell myself, “shut up, idiot.”

It’s a temporary condition for MOST people. Some are just too far gone down their ideological hole to listen to what they are actually saying. There is a stronger term than idiot for those people but I will not use it here.

I strive to choose my words carefully. Idiot was the proper term, my friend.

59 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Secondly, let’s evaluate this a bit. 
The cost of the project increased by .0003%. For perspective, that’s like building a $300,000 house and finding out that the price increased by that .0003%, or $90.

I don’t follow this math.

Original project cost was budgeted at 1.4B.

Overruns are already at 300M.

That’s 20%, give or take.

For a $300,000 house, that’d be over $60K.

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don’t follow this math.

Original project cost was budgeted at 1.4B.

Overruns are already at 300M.

That’s 20%, give or take.

For a $300,000 house, that’d be over $60K.

My apologies.  Tequila and multitask do not mix.

Still.

.03%

The original point remains, and I will tell myself to stop being an idiot. 

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

My apologies.  Tequila and multitask do not mix.

Still.

.03%

The original point remains, and I will tell myself to stop being an idiot. 

Does it though? I have no clue what the original numbers were but I’ll take Smell’s word for it. I think most would take significant notice to a 20% overrun. I don’t know where the magical cutoff is where you start to get irritated, but I think that’s beyond it. 

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

What happened with most posters though? Most of them jumped to outrage and conspiracy culminating in the Union’s corruption and greed being the culprit. 

Who?

I’ve been as active as anyone in discussing this here. I don’t recall more than a single shot being taken at unions, and that one came very recently.

The angles I’ve been taking are that (1) these overruns cost the PSE lead negotiator his job and (2) PSE is gonna want to change the deal and socialize its losses.

9 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Oh my goodness how did we not draft a RT. Brown might be the worst tackle I’ve ever seen. 

Because Beane doesn't value offensive line which is a reason we keep losing games. 

Lol, Ken Dorsey is bad too. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Who?

I’ve been as active as anyone in discussing this here. I don’t recall more than a single shot being taken at unions, and that one came very recently.

The angles I’ve been taking are that (1) these overruns cost the PSE lead negotiator his job and (2) PSE is gonna want to change the deal and socialize its losses.

When a political opinion is put forth by a moderator who is famous for stifling any scent of political discussion that doesn't conform to his view, that political opinion will be scrutinized.  You know this.  You're smarter than this.

Now.  Onto tonight's little disaster.  WOW do the Bills need some discipline.

Edited by Eleven