Timo Meier rumour - Sabres contact Sharks

Sabres73

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Just spitballing here.  
Mitts, Rosen and a top 12 protected first 

It's the $9M+ that drives me away.  I want be able to afford 8x$8M for Cozens this year and 8x$11M next year for Dahlin and 8x$8M next year for Power.  That drives the costs of the others up so that I can't sign them all.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It's the $9M+ that drives me away.  I want be able to afford 8x$8M for Cozens this year and 8x$11M next year for Dahlin and 8x$8M next year for Power.  That drives the costs of the others up so that I can't sign them all.

Sure but on the flip side VO and Okposo’s salary will be off the books soon 

14 minutes ago, Swedish Bikini Team said:

Not according to that Shark’s fan

If SJ would take a good prospect, a 2nd and a 3rd, KA would have to listen.

Our deal to acquire ROR in 2015 was ROR & McGinn for Zadorov (1st - 16th overall in 2013), Grigorenko (1st 12 overall in 2012), Compher (35th over in 2013) plus the 31st pick in 2015.  ROR had one year left on his current deal at the time for $6 mill and McGinn also had a year left at 2.95.  The Sabres extended ROR for 7 years at 7.5.

Essentially 3 good to very good prospects and a 2nd for a roster player and a top 6 center.  Meier for 3 pieces would be similar.  

In 3 seasons in Buffalo he had 60, 55, and 61 pts before being traded to Stl for Thompson, a 1st in 2019 (Johnson) and a 2nd in 2021 (49th -used to get Colin Miller) plus 2 cap dumps in Berglund and Sobotka.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Meier beside Cozens would be great. The cost to acquire him and more importantly the financial cost to keep him are the problems. As many have mentioned in a salary cap world you can only have so many guys making the big bucks. Tage, Skinner, Cozens, Dahlin, Power all have or will have contracts over $7 million. $8-9 for Meier will be hard to fit in long term.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Sure but on the flip side VO and Okposo’s salary will be off the books soon 

My problem is the inflationary effect Meier's salary would have on Cozens, Dahlin, and Power.  I am currently budgeting $27M.  That probably jumps to $33M for them.  Add $9M for Meier puts a real crimp on roster building.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Meier beside Cozens would be great. The cost to acquire him and more importantly the financial cost to keep him are the problems. As many have mentioned in a salary cap world you can only have so many guys making the big bucks. Tage, Skinner, Cozens, Dahlin, Power all have or will have contracts over $7 million. $8-9 for Meier will be hard to fit in long term.

Having Meier w/ Cozens is intriguing, but really like having Frick & Frack as his wingers for the LT.

• Agree 1

Making this trade makes sense from a lot of reasons.

Meier would solidify the Cozens Line and give the them two bonafide scoring lines for the playoff push

Any trade will come with a new deal and as Tom Webster and Elliott Friedman have both reported the salary cap is expected to rise to 92 Million by 2025-26, with Skinner’s Deal ending the following season.

Friedman and Marek reported that the asking price is similar to what DeBrincat received which was a 7OA, a second and a third and unlike DeBrincat, Meier is not under team control for two full seasons which should have an effect on his return. 

New Jersey and Carolina are rumored to be amongst the teams interested in trading for and signing Meier. That’s two potential teams they would need to beat in the future, take a potential asset away.

The Sabres Forward Prospect Pool includes JJP, Quinn, Rosen, Savoie, Östlund and Kulich. The Hope is one of their ceilings is similar to Meier’s. Trading one of the latter 4 in a deal to to get Meier seems beneficial. 

Shayna Goldman who appears on Sabres Live and writes for the Athletic was on the Jeff Marek Show last week and was asked what team she felt would be spicy at the TDL. She said Buffalo mentioning the assets and cap space they have. Goldman also brought up the fact that Pittsburgh was able to bring in complimentary pieces to build a winner. The primary person behind this was Sam Ventura.  I would expect smart moves for the Sabres to continue. 

This team has shown consistency and unlike Tim Murray’s Teams they are ready to compete and a move like this makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 7

42 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Making this trade makes sense from a lot of reasons.

Meier would solidify the Cozens Line and give the them two bonafide scoring lines for the playoff push

Any trade will come with a new deal and as Tom Webster and Elliott Friedman have both reported the salary cap is expected to rise to 92 Million by 2025-26, with Skinner’s Deal ending the following season.

Friedman and Marek reported that the asking price is similar to what DeBrincat received which was a 7OA, a second and a third and unlike DeBrincat, Meier is not under team control for two full seasons which should have an effect on his return. 

New Jersey and Carolina are rumored to be amongst the teams interested in trading for and signing Meier. That’s two potential teams they would need to beat in the future, take a potential asset away.

The Sabres Forward Prospect Pool includes JJP, Quinn, Rosen, Savoie, Östlund and Kulich. The Hope is one of their ceilings is similar to Meier’s. Trading one of the latter 4 in a deal to to get Meier seems beneficial. 

Shayna Goldman who appears on Sabres Live and writes for the Athletic was on the Jeff Marek Show last week and was asked what team she felt would be spicy at the TDL. She said Buffalo mentioning the assets and cap space they have. Goldman also brought up the fact that Pittsburgh was able to bring in complimentary pieces to build a winner. The primary person behind this was Sam Ventura.  I would expect smart moves for the Sabres to continue. 

This team has shown consistency and unlike Tim Murray’s Teams they are ready to compete and a move like this makes sense. 

I’d certainly pull the trigger for our (lottery protected) first and our 2 best seconds. I’d throw Rosen in instead of one of those elements as well. And they can have the rights to Portillo who would love the Bay Area and it’s lack of goalies.

If they want Kulich, Savoie or Östlund, it gets harder. The 1st definitely comes out and the sweeteners get less.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm unsure how you fit Meier into our long term cap

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3900973

In your ‘24 projected cap:

There is almost $3m in space.  
Mitts isn’t there.  Replaced by one of Savoie or Ohstlund on ELC minimums.  Thats another $2m.
One of your 4th line contracts could be Kulich on an ELC.  
Owens bridge is closer to $6.5m not $8m.

The back up goalie could be an ELC. 
All of your scratches could be vet mins or ELC and/or waiver eligible that would not affect the Cap.  
Meier would replace one of those $2.5m 4th line salaries, thus requiring and incremental $6.5-7m.  I think the changes I suggested saves $9m.

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

In your ‘24 projected cap:

There is almost $3m in space.  
Mitts isn’t there.  Replaced by one of Savoie or Ohstlund on ELC minimums.  Thats another $2m.
One of your 4th line contracts could be Kulich on an ELC.  
Owens bridge is closer to $6.5m not $8m.

The back up goalie could be an ELC. 
All of your scratches could be vet mins or ELC and/or waiver eligible that would not affect the Cap.  
Meier would replace one of those $2.5m 4th line salaries, thus requiring and incremental $6.5-7m.  I think the changes I suggested saves $9m.

Well I set the cap at 87mil and we have no idea how that'll actually be.

I don't want Kulich or Savoie playing on the 4th line

Back up goalies shouldn't be ELCs. I want Levi in Rochester for at least 1 full year and possibly 2.

I just don't think its feasible barring a cap jump into the 90's by the time Quinn and Peterka are up.

I'll make another in the morning with some fiddling and see however if its still flexible with Meier

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported in September that NHL teams had been given some guidance on where the cap could be going over the next few seasons, with projections of it rising to $83.5 million in 2023-24, between $87.5 million and $88 million in 2024-25, and approximately $92 million by 2025-26.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bettman-says-nhl-projects-salary-cap-will-increase-by-1-million-next-season/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported in September that NHL teams had been given some guidance on where the cap could be going over the next few seasons, with projections of it rising to $83.5 million in 2023-24, between $87.5 million and $88 million in 2024-25, and approximately $92 million by 2025-26.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bettman-says-nhl-projects-salary-cap-will-increase-by-1-million-next-season/

This is the article I tried to link a week or so ago. As I said then, if you can get your vote locked up now, do it. 

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm unsure how you fit Meier into our long term cap

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3900973

They could do it, but it would be tight. Mule, Skinner, Tuch, and TNT are under contract. JJP and Quinn would be on their final ELC season. Cost for these 6 is approx. 16.9 mill. 

VO is traded w Rosen in the Meier deal. Mitts is traded next season for D.  Savoie and Kulich replace Mitts and VO in the lineup for 24-25. Meier takes 8.5 for 7 years.  Cozens gets 8 for 8.  Dahlin 10.5 for 8.  Power bridged 6 for 4 years.  Krebs, Jost, and Z get 2-3 years at 2.5.  Joki extended 4 for 4.   UPL extended 3 for 3.    That would put us at about 75.2 for 12 forwards, 4D and 1G if my math is right. That leaves about 10 mill or more for 5-6 depth players.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-timo-meier-trade-return/

The ask appears to be:

A 1st-rounder, and then one of:

1) a Grade-A prospect, or

2) two Grade-B prospects, or

3)one good prospect & a young established NHL player.

So up to three pieces.

And then the ask on a new contract “starts with at least a nine.”

Like @Marvin, this is where it gets too rich for my blood.  I don't like the idea of 2 $9MM wingers.  And the more costly item is the inflationary impact of giving an outsider, say, $9.25MM per year.  That would drive up the AAV for Cozens, Dahlin, etc.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Like @Marvin, this is where it gets too rich for my blood.  I don't like the idea of 2 $9MM wingers.  And the more costly item is the inflationary impact of giving an outsider, say, $9.25MM per year.  That would drive up the AAV for Cozens, Dahlin, etc.

Actually if I’m reading @Porous Five Hole post correctly it would take something like our 1st, Rosen and Bloom to get a deal done. I’d do that.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.