Timo Meier rumour - Sabres contact Sharks

Sabres73

1 hour ago, ElMarko said:

Im baffled by the talk of Olofsson being moved so easily. He's emphatically stated that it's his "dream" to remain a Sabre long-term. Moving a guy like that sends a horrible message.  The team has literally won 5 games recently because of his clutch scoring. 

Meier would be a HUGE add on this team. "Feared" as Granato desires...

Welcome back!

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Derp.

But still good news. Of course any deal needs to fit within Adams’ set parameters but there’s no one being ruled out simply “because”, no desire to specifically only go with in-house development to the tune of ruling out bigger name outside additions as an absolute/by principle, as some have suggested he might. 

I’m sure there are plenty of GMs who didn’t inquire at all. Open to improvement, not just fixing holes, as his statement says.

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s not about fixing though.  It’s about improving.  

KA believes improvement comes from development. He’d offer the improvement of  Tnt, Cozens, Dahlin, UPL and Krebs , etc… as proof of his approach and he’d have a solid argument.  If there is a player in the system that is ready for the job they get the job.  He isn’t going to bring in anyone from the outside unless we really don’t have a candidate. UPL wasn’t ready so he signed Comrie.  We had no ready depth centers so he brought in Sheahan and then Jost.  We have no D in the pipeline so he brought in Bush and Clague.  Otherwise the open jobs went to JJP, Quinn and Power.  Det and Ott went for the big $ outside fixes while we stayed the development course.  So far KA is correct.  

Don’t expect any major roster changes at the deadline unless someone gets hurt (G-d forbid). 

Meier is certainly an upgrade for our roster, but I don’t see him moving on from JJP, Quinn, Kulich or Savoie to make such a deal happen.  They are the next stage of rocket fuel for this team. I also don’t see him jettisoning Mitts or VO at this point as they are key depth scoring and our part of the great locker-room chemistry this team forged.  

By the way.  This isn’t what I’d do, but what I think KA’s approach will be.  If it were up to me I’d make a run at Meier include VO in the deal.  Putting Meier with Cozens would be exciting to watch.  I’d also upgrade Bryson asap. I think we can find a better 5 and I believe he and Bush are not goid enough to be part of a Cup winning team.  That said KA’s judgement has proven mostly correct (Ullmark excepted) and you have to be impressed with the growth of this young roster.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA believes improvement comes from development. He’d offer the improvement of  Tnt, Cozens, Dahlin, UPL and Krebs , etc… as proof of his approach and he’d have a solid argument.  If there is a player in the system that is ready for the job they get the job.  He isn’t going to bring in anyone from the outside unless we really don’t have a candidate. UPL wasn’t ready so he signed Comrie.  We had no ready depth centers so he brought in Sheahan and then Jost.  We have no D in the pipeline so he brought in Bush and Clague.  Otherwise the open jobs went to JJP, Quinn and Power.  Det and Ott went for the big $ outside fixes while we stayed the development course.  So far KA is correct.  

Don’t expect any major roster changes at the deadline unless someone gets hurt (G-d forbid). 

Meier is certainly an upgrade for our roster, but I don’t see him moving on from JJP, Quinn, Kulich or Savoie to make such a deal happen.  They are the next stage of rocket fuel for this team. I also don’t see him jettisoning Mitts or VO at this point as they are key depth scoring and our part of the great locker-room chemistry this team forged.  

By the way.  This isn’t what I’d do, but what I think KA’s approach will be.  If it were up to me I’d make a run at Meier include VO in the deal.  Putting Meier with Cozens would be exciting to watch.  I’d also upgrade Bryson asap. I think we can find a better 5 and I believe he and Bush are not goid enough to be part of a Cup winning team.  That said KA’s judgement has proven mostly correct (Ullmark excepted) and you have to be impressed with the growth of this young roster.

“He isn’t going to bring in anyone from the outside unless we really don’t have a candidate.” 

But he did inquire on Meier, did he not? There’s a distinction between “won’t bring in Meier if it’s gonna to cost one of the players he refuses to move on from” and what you said which is a more absolute statement. That he “won’t if we have someone.” The implication being, given the rest of what you wrote, that he specifically wants it to be an in-house player. On principle. 

I feel like the fact he’s at least open to the idea of plugging in Meier states otherwise.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:33 AM, ElMarko said:

Im baffled by the talk of Olofsson being moved so easily. He's emphatically stated that it's his "dream" to remain a Sabre long-term. Moving a guy like that sends a horrible message.  The team has literally won 5 games recently because of his clutch scoring. 

Meier would be a HUGE add on this team. "Feared" as Granato desires...

Agree straight down the line here. No way I move Ólafsson. Dude is a sniper capable of scoring 40 with a good center. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Given Meier has to be signed to become a long term value not just a half year rental, unless there is strong competition, I’d hope we wouldn’t have to trade those young guys. Or give a ton up. And no way I’m letting go of Ólafsson.

I would give up Mitts and our first. Maybe another prospect (Bloom?). Since Timo would fulfill a major need of a physical / power wing. 

In last night’s game, the Minn broadcast mentioned that the Sabres were the least physical team in the league.  The announcer made it clear that the Wild should bang the Sabres around to slow us down.  Truthfully it worked to a certain extent, especially with Mule and Cozens out.  While I still doubt Meier becomes a Sabre, the lack of physicalityby the Sabres does beg the question how will KA make this team more physical and harder to play against. Someone like Meier would certainly help.  Possible more physical maturity from some of the young forwards, but I don’t really see that as Quinn and JJP’s game.  

Maybe the idea of moving Olofsson for Meier is the right place to start.  

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In last night’s game, the Minn broadcast mentioned that the Sabres were the least physical team in the league.  The announcer made it clear that the Wild should bang the Sabres around to slow us down.  Truthfully it worked to a certain extent, especially with Mule and Cozens out.  While I still doubt Meier becomes a Sabre, the lack of physicalityby the Sabres does beg the question how will KA make this team more physical and harder to play against. Someone like Meier would certainly help.  Possible more physical maturity from some of the young forwards, but I don’t really see that as Quinn and JJP’s game.  

I've only been preaching it for a few years now, but yes, I concur, the Sabres lack beef.

• Like (+1) 1

Just as the playoffs uncover those bottom line forwards with a penchant for scoring big goals, it also shows guys who play bigger overnight (cf. Brian Campbell).  GMKA may just wait and see with such a young roster.

1 hour ago, Mr. Allen said:

Anyone in the system that fits that style?

Not that I can see. Of course, others most certainly have more info on our overall pipeline. Even still, they're not likely to be here in the next season and half or so.

I'm of the opinion that if we are going to address the absence on the roster, trade or off season are to be it. Personally, I prefer a Meier type player. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why would SJ want Olofsson? 
min assuming they’d want a first round pick and a top prospect 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wuh?

I'm the first for wanting a more physical Sabres squad, but c'mon, did you even watch the Jets game two days earlier? Ya know, the most physical game any Sabres team has played in probably a decade?!

The Sabres didn't lose that game because they were banged and slowed down (that is ridiculous). They held their own, even without Mule and Cozens. It was a good game. They just lost. They were toast and UPL was terrible in the shootout.

• Like (+1) 1

Meier is still an RFA, would he be easier for SJ to trade in the off-season?  Would a trade from KA’s point of view be more likely in the summer as well, especially if KO walks?  The Sabres acquired ROR on draft day and a Meier deal seems like a similar undertaking.

For example, maybe we trade VO to LA for a 2nd and a RHD prospect.  We then acquire Meier for a our 1st, Rosen, the LA second and Bloom.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-timo-meier-trade-return/

The ask appears to be:

A 1st-rounder, and then one of:

1) a Grade-A prospect, or

2) two Grade-B prospects, or

3)one good prospect & a young established NHL player.

So up to three pieces.

And then the ask on a new contract “starts with at least a nine.”

20 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The ask appears to be:

So up to three pieces.

Well, the Sabres can handle the asset cost. I am sure that AAV is expected. Can GM Adam's work the salary cap maze to make all this work?

Botteril made a mistake giving Skinner that full NMC imho. But it can be done. Nabbing Timo denies other teams in the playoff hunt in the Eastern Conference his services while adding him as a top 2 line core element.

The question im asking myself......Are the Sabres ready for it?

25 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The ask appears to be:

So up to three pieces.

No more for me, thanks -- I'm driving.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, the Sabres can handle the asset cost. I am sure that AAV is expected. Can GM Adam's work the salary cap maze to make all this work?

Botteril made a mistake giving Skinner that full NMC imho. But it can be done. Nabbing Timo denies other teams in the playoff hunt in the Eastern Conference his services while adding him as a top 2 line core element.

The question im asking myself......Are the Sabres ready for it?

They should be.  Over the last 2 months, they are a top 5 team in the league 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.